Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 519

0 members and 519 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

The million dollar question.( cost)

I'm looking to breed ASF. I've already got a rack design and a plan for how many I need. The biggest question I have is cost. All the ASF breeding I can find is mostly from the US where (I only wish) they are paying $.90-$1.10 for small rats, shipped to there door if they buy bulk. If i was paying those prices I wouldnt be breeding feeders.
    Being from Canada (more specifically Alberta) I am buying rats at about the cheapest I can find at $2.80 for sm and $3.10 for me. ASF are my biggest option where i live and I'm just wondering from some of the local breeders/Canadian breeder if they find it worth it. I've been breeding mice for 4 months now and have found it very advantageous with feeding my babies/ yearling ball pythons. What do you think about the cost of ASF's in Canada compared to purchasing FT rats?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I breed ASF an rats. ASF grow slow, will never outgrow a BP. Smallest ASF litter I've had is 14 this year. ASF can be demons! You can't pull an ASF male out an then put him back 21 days later. The girls will kill him. Pull the male an gas him, let one or two of the sons stay in the colony. I run 4/1 colonies. Rats grow an breed faster!

For the rat racks I use mixing tubs. Problem is the new mixing tubs have a nail one, if you don't cover it with .25" wire ASF will chew it bigger in under one hour.

ASF can't take the cold!

Good luck!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Can you sell your extras. Seems people in The Great White North are crying for rat breeders. Feed for ASF an rats is cheap. I sell my extra rats (ASF) at $2USD adults, $1.50 juveniles an .50 pinks. For pets I get $10 for ASF an $5-8 on rats. I make a little money, pay for rat supplies an feed my snakes. The most expensive thing I bought for the rats was the vacuum sealer. If I tried harder I would make real money with rats. But I'm small an like it that way. Have something come up, too much work or a long deployment just gas an freeze the colony. Snakes eat well on rodents you know are safe. When you get time start another colony or two.

For gas, in the States, beer brewing shops an paintball shops have the small tanks cheap. I went big, found two large tanks at an auction cheap.

Just do it! Your snakes will be better off.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    1/4 colonies Long day.

Thanks
    All good. Us Snow Mexicans are always looking for cheaper feeder. I find it's expensive here. What size tube do you use for 1/4? That's the ratio I'd like to go with.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts

Re: The million dollar question.( cost)

Quote Originally Posted by Weremey59 View Post
    All good. Us Snow Mexicans are always looking for cheaper feeder. I find it's expensive here. What size tube do you use for 1/4? That's the ratio I'd like to go with.
    I do 2.3 or 2.4 colonies and do them in medium cat litter pans (16"x12"x4"). I typically feed off the babies early on so the tub doesn't get crowded. They can breed like crazy. I keep the extra male in there because if something happens to one male you have to wait a while to grow up an entirely new colony. Mine are really docile but love to chew on things.
    Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

Thanks
    Have you ever had success with a higher ratio and less colony's? Like 1.5 or 1.6?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    This tub:
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Creative-Pl...Pan/1000608719

I used this as a guide:
    http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/rat_rack.html
    I used 2x4's an ripped them with my table saw. I'm short an wanted room so the are 5 rackers (plus the kids are really short). I only use .25" as hoppers will get out of .50"

You could go 1/5 or higher but would need bigger tubs. Have more in the cage to cause more problems. An when 5 or more drop litters at the same time, no thank you. If you don't handle them as pinks an cull demons your hand will be a bloody stump! Start with one tub an see how it goes. My kids say that ASF are cute but rats are nicer. Unless your feeding ASF pinks I would start at 1/3.

For water I use rabbit bottles, I can see if something is wrong easier then the bucket system (an I built three of the ).

Good luck!

PS: Another market for ASF: fish bait, an natural cat food.

Thanks
    I am feeding pinky but I see what you're saying. Thanks for the information.