Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,021

4 members and 2,017 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: DIY Plywood Cage Question

Quote Originally Posted by mechliam View Post
    I would recommend Pond Shield also. Can be a bit awkward to work with but when done right it looks great.

I use either mats or bulbs in all my custom builds. For a BP, I would go 18" high with a mat or 24" high with a bulb (and use a guard). I don't use the Radiant Heat Panels in my enclosures so I can't really help you with that one but going from previous comments, sounds like they work well. Might look into it myself in the future.

I wrote up how I go about building my custom enclosures. You can check them out here:

https://www.reptilerange.com/how-to-...ile-enclosure/

Let me know if you have any more questions and I will try to help.

Liam.
    Thank you for that link, it is layed out very well and is very easy to understand. Pond shield seems to be the way to go. So I'm thinking 3 x 1.5 x 1.5 with a RHP with black pond sheild on the inside. I'll probably use glass for the doors as well.
    Last edited by TopazEye; 09-24-2019 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Spelling
    1.0 Normal BP
    0.0.1 Albino Corn Snake

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TopazEye View Post
    Thank you for that link, it is layed out very well and is very easy to understand. Pond shield seems to be the way to go. So I'm thinking 3 x 1.5 x 1.5 with a RHP with black pond sheild on the inside. I'll probably use glass for the doors as well.
    My suggestion for the pond shield is mix it in really small batches, way smaller than the instructions suggest.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    My suggestion for the pond shield is mix it in really small batches, way smaller than the instructions suggest.
    Would this be just in case I accidentally ruin a batch? It seems people tend to have a hard time with it.
    1.0 Normal BP
    0.0.1 Albino Corn Snake

Thanks

I also had another DIY question and I didnt really want to start another thread. If I wanted to build a rack completly out of wood (2x4s and Plywood) could I safley use flexwatt on the shelves or would this not work? I'm not sure exactly how safe that would be as most racks are made of melamine or plastic/PVC.
    1.0 Normal BP
    0.0.1 Albino Corn Snake

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts
    I initially made two 6'x2'x3's (LxWxH), heated with a 120 watt RHP on one end and 100 watt CHE on the other. With a space heater, I didn't really need the CHE anymore, and nowadays I try to put basking areas closer to the panel vs trying to heat all the way to the ground. The cages were originally for my 3.5' bp and 6.5' boa, but the bp was switched out for the retic (7.5'-8.5' while she was in it), and then eventually destroyed when our old trailer was vandalized. I plan on building some new enclosures (hopefully with better planning haha). My bp is very arboreal, and loves to climb, so he benefited from all the space.

I treated with water-based polyurethane, and that worked well for me...I just didn't treat the outside, and that was their downfall when they were left outside in the rain. XD Each individual piece of wood requires a different amount of coats, but the poly is non-toxic once dry and does very well at keeping normal amounts of moisture out. I never tried something like a BRB, but it withstood about 4-5 years of wet EcoEarth and any bowl tippings without damage before the incident that destroyed them.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

TopazEye (09-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts

Would this be just in case I accidentally ruin a batch? It seems people tend to have a hard time with it.
    It's because it starts to harden very quickly, so if you're doing multiple coats, you don't want to waste your mix. The instructions said you can use 1 coat, but I did 3 coats, and I wish I could've done a 4th.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

Thanks

Another question, sorry if I'm being annoying. If I made a wood rack and used plywood as the shelves, could I paint the exposed side with drylock/ pond sheild to protect from humidity? This would be for a lid-off sort of rack with 40-50% humidity.
    1.0 Normal BP
    0.0.1 Albino Corn Snake

Thanks

Another question, sorry if I'm being annoying. If I made a wood rack and used plywood as the shelves, could I paint the exposed side with drylock/ pond sheild to protect from humidity? This would be for a lid-off sort of rack with 40-50% humidity.
    I would think you should only need to protect the underside of each self as that would be the"lid" of each tub. Other than that I would think there would be enough open air flow to make the humidity a non issue. So I would recommend at least sealing that portion.
    Ask as many questions as you can think of that what we are here for. And as for heating with flex watt or something similar I wouldn't be concerned with it on a wooden rack as you shouldn't be setting it for more that say 98°F. So the wood won't get hot enough to catch fire or anything like that. Just remember UTH's are for belly heat and not meant to raise the ambient temps by more than a degree or two so make sure your room is going to maintain proper temps all year long.
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    0.1 Super Pastel Lesser Ball Python
    1.0 Pastel Bamboo Ball Python
    0.0.1 Halmahera Blue Tongue Skink
    0.0.2 Crested Gecko
    1.2.Guinea Pigs
    1.0 Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Toad
    0.1 Iguana
    0.1 Dog
    0.2 Cats

Thanks
    If you're going to be building plywood cages do yourself a favor and buy the Kreg pocket jig. You will never find a better way to build plywood cages.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tangooscarmike For This Useful Post:

TopazEye (01-07-2020)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12