Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,929

1 members and 2,928 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

pale mouth, wheezing, but clear airway? RI?

SORRY IN ADVANCE FOR MY GRAMMAR AND SPELLING!!! I care more about getting the info to you, than editing this damn thread at 11 at night.

my girl lucie always whistles thru her nose when shes in shed. she just shed a few days ago, and tonight i wanted to watch some tv with her so i pulled her from her rack where she now lives since about a month ago.

i have a vivarium electronics rack, cb70 tubs, good humidity, good temps and a nice herpstat too.
    the only python i dont have in the rack is Mrs.P whom I made another thread about earlier for having cysts/bumps/tumors? (she's going to the vet in december, they arent affecting her eating or pooping) and shes in quarantine.
    she doesnt show any signs of illness, neither do any of my other girls.

warm side is 85, cool side 72, humidity about 60% avg, clean full shed, no problems pooping, eating healthy, but i was curious when i picked her up and hear her hiss, then wheeze, and act way more sluggish than she usually does. (shes been sitting still for about 15 minutes now as i type this, she never sits still that long)

she had her head out of her hide the last few times ive checked on her this week, and was poking out today too. i have no idea if shes been doing any mouth breathing, coughing, or rubbing her nose on things, but every time i check on her (at least once a day) shes been in her hide just chillin. no spit smeared on anything, either.

after a fair bit of struggle I opened her mouth to see if i could see the classic bubbles and snot in her nose or anything else fishy.

these are the pics i managed to snap:

aside from her mouth seeming pale IMO, her tongue being pinkish red, and only little bubbles in the back of her throat (i assume that was from the struggle to get her mouth open, she was NOT having it), her airway had no bubbles coming from it, when she was in this position i heard no wheezing at all. (my current hypothesis is her ex owner and abuser used to hit her in the face -he's lucky i didnt hit him when i learned that- and perhap messed up her nasal cavity or something...?) her tongue is flicking out normally, shes a bit sluggish but i figure it might be that my room is a bit chilly, enough that i turned the air off to warm up myself. shes not usually this sluggish.

i dont know, i couldnt help but feel somethings a bit weird. what do you guys think? am I just being the over protective helicopter ball python mom again?
    Living the dream in Key West FL, an island where ball pythons seemingly come outta nowhere and into my lap to be rescued/rehabilitated...

0.1 Narcissa Malfoy 'Cissy' - Bumblebee - Age 6 - 2164g - Light case of the wobbles, rescued from breeding to future wobblers...

0.1 Lucie - Normal - Age 3.5 - 1718g - Rescued from severe abuse and neglect and after 1.5 years of constant work, she's living proof that you CAN train/condition a snake!

0.1 Alice - Yellowbelly - Age 1 - 554g - Dumped and found by local shelter, underweight and dehydrated (working on that right now)

0.1 Mrs.P - Normal - Age ~10 - 2604g - Dumped and found by the same shelter, has two cysts and a prolapse that has healed outside the body. Doesn't seem to cause issues...

GOT Q'S?
    ASK!!!!!!!

Thanks

Re: pale mouth, wheezing, but clear airway? RI?

for lucy, I'd like to also add, looking at her records that she hasnt lost weight. in fact since i adopted her from the hell she was in 1.5 years ago when her backbone was showing, shes almost double her original weight!

She did however refuse her last feed, but she was in shed and her eyes were in blue so I dont blame her, and as far as i'm concerned that was normal behavior.

just checked all my other girls, everyone is nice and pink, clear airways, no wheezing, no sticky spit, no runny nose, no abnormalities, same temp and humidity parameters as lucy. good eyes, good skin, not sluggish at all, normal reflexes and typical head shyness.

two of my girls also did not like the idea of a mouth probing so there was some little bitty bubbles in the back of their throats too, but again im assuming it was from all the wrestling. If thats not the case, please correct me!
    Living the dream in Key West FL, an island where ball pythons seemingly come outta nowhere and into my lap to be rescued/rehabilitated...

0.1 Narcissa Malfoy 'Cissy' - Bumblebee - Age 6 - 2164g - Light case of the wobbles, rescued from breeding to future wobblers...

0.1 Lucie - Normal - Age 3.5 - 1718g - Rescued from severe abuse and neglect and after 1.5 years of constant work, she's living proof that you CAN train/condition a snake!

0.1 Alice - Yellowbelly - Age 1 - 554g - Dumped and found by local shelter, underweight and dehydrated (working on that right now)

0.1 Mrs.P - Normal - Age ~10 - 2604g - Dumped and found by the same shelter, has two cysts and a prolapse that has healed outside the body. Doesn't seem to cause issues...

GOT Q'S?
    ASK!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    ..."warm side is 85, cool side 72"...

Your cage temps are a little low...should be more like 79* to 89*...when snakes are too cool, they get lethargic.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Droxalope_94 (09-22-2019)

Thanks

I'll turn up the AC and see if that does anything for the ambient temps in the rack!

GOT Q'S?
    ASK!!!!!!!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Droxalope_94 View Post
    (my current hypothesis is her ex owner and abuser used to hit her in the face -he's lucky i didnt hit him when i learned that- and perhap messed up her nasal cavity or something...?)

Wait.... WHAT?!?! wtf was he hitting the snake for? How did you find this out? OMG poor baby. People like that shouldnt be allowed to have animals.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sur3fir3 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-23-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Vet check might be a good idea... also, that's her "glottis" that's pinkish-red, not "her tongue". Snakes can have an infection of their glottis, btw.

FYI:
    "Snakes have a small opening just behind the tongue called the glottis, which opens into the trachea, or windpipe. Unlike what mammals have, the reptile glottis is always closed, forming a vertical slit, unless the snake takes a breath."
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-23-2019 at 10:51 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (09-23-2019),Luvyna (09-23-2019)

Thanks
    I'm no expert but that glottis looks kind of puffy and swollen to me. I opened my BP's mouth around when I first got him out of an abundance of caution to check for RI symptoms and everything was an even pink and the glottis did not look that big, red, or puffy. I think a vet check would be a good idea, especially if someone has also hit this poor snake before

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-23-2019),Droxalope_94 (09-23-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Did you check the shed she had a few days ago to make sure she shed the skin in her nostrils?

I try not to get too worried if snakes wheeze during handling as they are generally excited and breathing heavily at that point - I would monitor her to see if she wheezes while not being handled, leaves mucus on cage furniture ( including the waterbowl ) or sits for long periods with her head raised and her mouth open.

I don't see anything in those pictures that would make me concerned. But monitoring is never a bad idea.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (09-23-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sur3fir3 View Post
    Wait.... WHAT?!?! wtf was he hitting the snake for? How did you find this out? OMG poor baby. People like that shouldnt be allowed to have animals.
    hence why all my BP's are rescues. if you look at my signature youll get the gist. lol lucie was beaten, bitten on her back and scarred by live prey (shes TERRIFIED of anything alive anymore) she was skin and bones when i got her and just reaching up to fix my glasses has her trying to jump across the room in fear. it was very obvious what this guy was doing to her. he also used to get high and blow the smoke in her face, and she was underneath a stilt house with NO HEAT SOURCE and NO WATERBOWL for 3 YEARS.

I hope i never see him again, he will have hell to pay.

GOT Q'S?
    ASK!!!!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Vet check might be a good idea... also, that's her "glottis" that's pinkish-red, not "her tongue". Snakes can have an infection of their glottis, btw.

FYI:
    "Snakes have a small opening just behind the tongue called the glottis, which opens into the trachea, or windpipe. Unlike what mammals have, the reptile glottis is always closed, forming a vertical slit, unless the snake takes a breath."
    ... i guess i wrote it in the wrong section of the post, i know where her tongue is and where her glottis is.... duh. thats why i said her airway is clear and had the pictures with it open (used a flashlight to look down it too). i was just throwing in the bit about her tongue to add more info.

GOT Q'S?
    ASK!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast