Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,827

2 members and 2,825 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

Sudden Roaming and Open "Basking"?

Hi all,

Yesterday, I cleaned my BP's cage because she made a mess. Business as usual, she crawled back under her cool side hide for the rest of the afternoon. Absolutely no change in routine and I checked her temps to make sure her husbandry was tight (90-92 hot spot, 80 cool side + ambient, ~60% humidity). Later that night, however, she began roaming all around her tank, making a loud fuss with her furniture and rearing up to pressing her body to the glass. She's roamed like this before, but usually slithers back inside by morning when I turn the lights on. Not this time. She was out and about still for the better part of the day, not roaming but just out in the open. I left for dinner with my family and she was half-out of her cool hide resting her head on top of it. I came home about 4 hours later and she's still as a stone in the same spot. She's usually not fond of too much light exposure, but today she's sitting there completely unbothered.

I worry she has an RI or something based on the position she's sitting in. It's just very odd. I usually wait out her behavior, but this is the strangest I've seen her. Very out of character. I'll attach some pics of her setup (she's in a 20 gallon long, quickly outgrowing it I know, I'm working on a new home for her at the moment. I also am aware of the mini-urate in near the back, I took the picture before taking care of it!). I took out one of her taller tree decors that keeps knocking over and she seemed to calm a bit, maybe that was stressing her out? I really don't know, I was hoping any of y'all had any ideas or if this is normal. She's my first and only BP, so I'm still learning myself!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by threadgoode; 09-21-2019 at 10:03 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,800 Times in 11,831 Posts
    She looks just fine to me...how are you taking the temps in her cage? She might be too warm & I'd keep the warm side no higher than 88-90*, especially when
    the "cool" side is 80*.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (09-22-2019),threadgoode (09-21-2019)

Thanks

Re: Sudden Roaming and Open "Basking"?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    She looks just fine to me...how are you taking the temps in her cage? She might be too warm & I'd keep the warm side no higher than 88-90*, especially when
    the "cool" side is 80*.
    I have 3 thermometer+hygrometers throughout the tank and I check temps twice a day or more with a temp gun. The UTH is on a thermostat (which I will lower to 88-90, thank you for the advice!) and her 60 watt CHE is set low for maintaining ambients.

Do you think maybe her hide is too small amd that's why she's avoiding it? I've just really never seen her do this before! And thank you again for your reply!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to threadgoode For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-21-2019)

Thanks
    Usually snakes have the opposite "complaint" about their hides...if they're too big or open, they don't feel secure. If that's the case (& I can't tell from the photos)
    you can stuff a paper towel or more substrate into it to make it more 'cozy'. BPs usually like to feel "back pressure"- so they feel safe that predators can't sneak up
    behind them. There are quite a few photos (some very recent) on here of member's BPs that prefer their old hides that ARE too small over the newer, bigger ones
    they were given, & they literally curl up with the hide balanced on top of them, as if imitating a turtle (& with most of the snake showing below the hide), silly sneks!

It also occurs to me to mention that snakes going into shed often prefer the cool side of their cage, & from here that appears like it might be the case with yours.
    Snakes know (can feel) a shed coming before we can see the evidence. When did she shed last? Clouding is harder for us to see on albino/pale snakes.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-21-2019 at 10:21 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

threadgoode (09-21-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Is the roaming the "i'm hungry GIVE ME MY RAT NOW!" roaming? My one female will do that when she wants to breed or eat.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

threadgoode (09-21-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Usually snakes have the opposite "complaint" about their hides...if they're too big or open, they don't feel secure. If that's the case (& I can't tell from the photos)
    you can stuff a paper towel or more substrate into it to make it more 'cozy'. BPs usually like to feel "back pressure"- so they feel safe that predators can't sneak up
    behind them. There are quite a few photos (some very recent) on here of member's BPs that prefer their old hides that ARE too small over the newer, bigger ones
    they were given, & they literally curl up with the hide balanced on top of them, as if imitating a turtle (& with most of the snake showing below the hide), silly sneks!

It also occurs to me to mention that snakes going into shed often prefer the cool side of their cage, & from here that appears like it might be the case with yours.
    Snakes know (can feel) a shed coming before we can see the evidence. When did she shed last? Clouding is harder for us to see on albino/pale snakes.
    Okay, that makes more sense! She used to have a turtle shell hide that was too big for her, so I switched it with the ones she has now. I have noticed she's starting to wear them like a hat! Which is partly why I asked.

Her last shed was on August 8, so she probably is due soon. It's hard for me to tell sometimes too until she's really deep-in it!

Last edited by threadgoode; 09-21-2019 at 10:35 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    Is the roaming the "i'm hungry GIVE ME MY RAT NOW!" roaming? My one female will do that when she wants to breed or eat.
    I thought that at first, too! She has hunger-roamed before, but it never lasted throughout the daytime. And my god did she destroy her tank flipping stuff around! Curious things they are, but darn cute. I tend to jump the gun at the slightest thing out of place with her, first time parent nerves and such, sorry if it all seems a bit silly now!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by threadgoode View Post
    ...Her last shed was on August 8, so she probably is due soon. It's hard for me to tell sometimes too until she's really deep-in it! ...
    It takes practice, especially with a snake like yours. Besides clouded eyes, there is a visible texture difference in the way their skin folds appear, that's why I think she's
    heading into a shed now...it's very hard to explain though. Eyes are usually the most obvious, especially if you use a tiny flashlight across the arc of their eyecaps in a dark room...that makes the "fog" show up better.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-21-2019 at 10:50 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

threadgoode (09-21-2019)