Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,990

1 members and 2,989 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Banana male maker daughter?

I had a male banana male maker breed to a female pastel.
    2 normal females
    4 banana males
    *1 banana female???

Can someone explain how this happens, and how rare it is?

Kaos Balls

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It happens the average is really hard to predict I can tell

My first season working with CG I produced no female out of 50 CG offsprings, meanwhile a good friend of mine produced 1 female in every clutch that season.

Since I have produced 2 females I have probably produced around 200 CG combos now, my friend still produce females at a higher rate than I do.

Some people will say it's about 2 to 3 percent I am below that.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (09-21-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Banana male maker daughter?

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    I had a male banana male maker breed to a female pastel.
    2 normal females
    4 banana males
    *1 banana female???

Can someone explain how this happens, and how rare it is?

Kaos Balls
    I have heard claims that 5-10 per cent of bananas from a male-maker banana male are banana females.

An allele is any one of the various versions of the same gene. In the case of banana, the only alleles are banana and the corresponding normal allele.

When sperm or eggs are formed, each has one chromosome from each pair of chromosomes in the parental cell. Ball pythons have 18 pairs of chromosomes for a total of 36 chromosomes. One pair of chromosomes are called the sex chromosomes because they determine the sex of the owner. Each sperm or egg has only 18 chromosomes, including one sex chromosome. Male ball pythons have pair of sex chromosomes, an X and a Y chromosome. Female ball pythons have two X chromosomes. All eggs have one X chromosome. Half the sperm have an X chromosome, and half the sperm have a Y chromosome. When a sperm fertilizes an egg, the chromosome pairs are reestablished. For more information, do a web search for meiosis, the type of cell division that produces sperm and eggs, for example, https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/primer/howgeneswork/cellsdivide.

The standard banana female ball python has a banana mutant allele on one X chromosome (Xb) and a normal allele on the other chromosome (X+) to make an allele pair (Xb/X+).

Mating a normal male ball python (X+/Y+) to a standard banana female (Xb/X+) produces
    1/4 banana females (Xb/X+)
    1/4 normal females (X+/X+)
    1/4 banana males = female maker males (Xb/Y+)
    1/4 normal males (X+/Y+)

A female-maker banana male ball python has the banana allele on the X chromosome (Xb/Y+).
    A male-maker banana male ball python has the banana allele on the Y chromosome (X+/Yb).

A female-maker banana male ball python (Xb/Y+) mated to a normal female (X+/X+) is expected to produce
    1/2 banana females (Xb/X+)
    1/2 normal males (X+/Y+)

And a male-maker banana male ball python (X+/Yb) mated to a normal female (X+/X+) is expected to produce
    1/2 normal females (X+/X+)
    1/2 banana males (X+/Yb)

Sometimes a female-maker banana male sires a male banana, and sometimes a male-maker banana male sires a female banana. This happens because sperm and eggs do not have pairs of chromosomes. Each sperm or egg has one chromosome from each of the parent cell's pairs of chromosomes. And during sperm production, the X and Y chromosome sometimes swap pieces. A piece of the X chromosome moves into the Y chromosome, and the corresponding piece of the Y chromosome moves to the X chromosome. When this swap happens, a male-maler banana male X+/Yb would produce a sperm with a Xb chromosome and a sperm with a Y+ chromosome.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to paulh For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-22-2019),Godzilla78 (09-22-2019),TopNotchBallPythons (09-21-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Well I guess I hit another jackpot, the banana female also happens to carry the pastel gene, so she is the cream of the odds in this rather simple clutch.

Kaos Balls

Thanks

Usually when you hit a female Banana from a male maker Banana one of the normals that is suppose to be a female will now become the male in the clutch. I had this happen on my first Banana clutch I produced , it was strange when I sexed the normals to see that I had one male normal that should have been female then I checked all the bananas and sure enough one was a female .
    1.0 Pastel Yellow belly
    1.1 Enchi
    0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Bumblebee
    0.1 Lesser Platinum
    1.0 Pastel Banana
    1.0 Dragonfly
    1.0 clown
    1.1 Pastel Het Clown
    1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa