Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,877

0 members and 2,877 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Suddenly my humidity is spiking???????

So I've kept my BP in a 37 qt sterilite gasket tub, kept on the ground for the past 2 months. Humidity was always perf.
    Suddenly I bought a shelving unit (because BPs are like potato chips, can't have only one), and I put his tub on the top shelf, and suddenly the humidity is reaching 90%? What gives???
    This is the shelving unit I got :https://www.amazon.com/Honey-Can-Do-...ay&sr=8-4&th=1

I will say he is vertically closer to a window now. He's in the same spot as he's always been, just higher up.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts
    Humidity is impacted by air flow a lot. Is the tub covered the same as it was before? For instance, if the tub had a snap on lid before that was not air tight but then you moved the tub to a tight fit rack enclosure where it makes the tub more air tight, that decrease in air flow will definitely increase the humidity. The way to lower humidity is add more air flow, you can do this by adding some small holes in the tub but only do a little at a time because if you add too much air flow it will become difficult to keep the humidity high enough. Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rufretic For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (09-20-2019)

Thanks
    Everything is exactly the same, only now his tub is higher up, on a shelving unit.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Unlike temperatures humidity is never a constant and can be influenced by many thing.

Airflow
    Recent Urination
    Water Bowl Size
    Substrate
    Weather
    Area you live in

So it can easily change go up and down which is why many have to adjust based on the time of the year for example.
    Deborah Stewart

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Reptilius (09-21-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    How much humidity would be too much for a BP. We will be going into Summer here from December and normal natural Humidity where I live will average 80 to 87 percent.
    Ball Pythons
    1.0 Pinstripe
    1.0 Coral Glow Pastel
    1.0 Ginger Enchi
    1.0 Spectre
    1.0 BlackPastel Yellowbelly
    1.0 Albino
    1.0 Fire
    1.0 Enchi Mojave
    1.0 Enchi
    1.0 Calico
    1.0 Leopard
    0.1 Mojave Spider
    0.1 Butter
    0.2 Fire
    0.1 Yellow Belly
    0.2 Pastel
    0.3 Normal
    0.1 Bumblebee
    0.1 Mystic
    0.1 Enchi
    0.1 Pinstripe 66% het Pied
    0.1 Leopard

Other Pythons
    1.0 Carpet Pythons

BOAS
    1.1 Dumerils
    2.2 Red Tail

Corns
    1.2 Amel

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Suddenly my humidity is spiking???????

Quote Originally Posted by Reptilius View Post
    How much humidity would be too much for a BP. We will be going into Summer here from December and normal natural Humidity where I live will average 80 to 87 percent.
    The goal for a BP is about 60% humidity. However, although here in the USA, especially in the winter, many parts of the country suffer dry spells and BP's can get RI's, they can get those from humidity that is too high as well.

I would say a safe range (with ups and downs during the year) is 50%-70%. 80-87% for a day or two in shed might be okay, but not all summer. That's too high.

You will want air movement and/or a heating element that drys things out. I would also recommend paper as substrate when humidity gets high as it doesn't retain much of the humidity.

Thanks
    A box fan or an adjustable one pointed toward your shelves aught to fix things
    Captain of "The Good Ship Blip"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Joykoins For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (09-22-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Reptilius View Post
    60% would be as high as I want to see it for extended period of time, realistically I like to see humidity at about 40%/50% unless in shed.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 09-21-2019 at 10:56 AM.
    Deborah Stewart

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (09-21-2019),Bogertophis (09-21-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    60% would be as high as I want to see it for extended period of time, realistically I like to see humidity at about 40%/50% unless in shed.
    What should it be at during shed? You said 60% for extended but would you go higher for shed like 70% when they are in blue? Or is 60% the highest we should go even during shed. Like what you said about 40-50 %. But was wanting to know the mark you aim for during shed? Sorry if this is a stupid question.
    Thank You Deborah.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rufretic View Post
    Humidity is impacted by air flow a lot. Is the tub covered the same as it was before? For instance, if the tub had a snap on lid before that was not air tight but then you moved the tub to a tight fit rack enclosure where it makes the tub more air tight, that decrease in air flow will definitely increase the humidity. The way to lower humidity is add more air flow, you can do this by adding some small holes in the tub but only do a little at a time because if you add too much air flow it will become difficult to keep the humidity high enough. Good luck!
    I have a tank which means high humidity is not a problem, it's vice versa. But when I used a plastic tote I had 3 rows of quarter inch holes on on all 4 sides. You can have plenty of holes if you cover them up with tape (ON THE OUTSIDE OF COURSE) when the humidity gets too low. And you un-cover the holes when the humidity is too high. 3M (3350) tape works good for this or maybe even duct tape.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ballpythonsrock2 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-21-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (09-21-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast