Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,918

2 members and 2,916 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Sumatran Short Tail - Right For Me?

Hey! It's been a while since I last made any kind of post here.

After a long time of bouncing between various corn/king snakes, ball pythons, and larger boas, I think I've finally settled on my "dream" snake: P. curtis, or the Sumatran Short Tail. Specifically, a male with a normal appearance, but I'll take a cheap morph if I can get one so as long as the individual is well-tempered.

Being a beginner, I know the pythons related to bloods are not recommended; however, my reasoning for choosing this snake specifically is because I only intend on ever owning one snake that matches what I've always loved about them. I do not want to get a beginner snake that I'm vaguely interested in and am not sure I'll put my heart and soul into; If I'm getting a snake, it's going to be one snake and one snake that I'll be dedicating myself to, and one that I deeply admire from the start. Other reasons go as follows:
    - They are large without being uncontrollable; bigger than a ball python but smaller than a redtail
    - They are thick-bodied and heavy without being too long.
    - According to what I've been reading, they prefer simple setups
    - Some are described as "lap snakes"- I know it depends on the individual, but "lap snake" fits the bill of everything I want in a large python. A cool critter to chill with.

I know their husbandry can be tough to beginners, so I intend on practicing with keeping stable humidity and temps in a setup before I ever get the animal. And, with all the research I've been doing, here's what I'm still unsure about:

Would it be acceptable to use a large, plastic tote for the enclosure? I planned on going with what Reptiles Magazine described- a Christmas tree storage bin (52x20x12) modified to be an enclosure. And, If I use this, what would be the ideal way to give it ventilation? Should I add a thin screen to the lid, or should I make holes with a soldering iron? And what would be the ideal way to head this setup? (I'm guessing uth)

And, last but not least, I'd love to hear just about anything from people with experience. Temperaments, enclosures, where to buy, cute stories, the whole deal. I'm very open to getting more info about these snakes now that I've actually chosen what kind I want.
    Last edited by Ivylovessnakes; 09-20-2019 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Forgot to add details about heating

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I have nada (zero) experience with this species. Just wanted to clarify though, have you ever had a snake before? Or reptiles in general?

Thanks

Re: Sumatran Short Tail - Right For Me?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    I have nada (zero) experience with this species. Just wanted to clarify though, have you ever had a snake before? Or reptiles in general?
    I, unfortunately, have not- Sorry for not clarifying!

I've had the bare minimum of experience. I've been around reptiles before, watched numerous care videos and documentaries, and held both smaller and larger snakes, but I haven't ever owned one. My experience so far is mostly with inverts.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts
    Experience or not, I would say go with your heart. Beyond anything hot, you can always come back from simple mistakes, as long as you do plenty of research beforehand and have the proper husbandry before you pull the trigger. More work = more reward.

Would it be acceptable to use a large, plastic tote for the enclosure? I planned on going with what Reptiles Magazine described- a Christmas tree storage bin (52x20x12) modified to be an enclosure.
    Yes. If it's full grown, that sounds good; you may want to work your way up to that, if it's not.

And, If I use this, what would be the ideal way to give it ventilation? Should I add a thin screen to the lid, or should I make holes with a soldering iron?
    I drill holes in mine, but it looks like swiss cheese afterwards. What I would do is set it up without any holes and measure the humidity (make sure it has the water bowl and heat and everything). Then you know how drastic you need to go with it, measuring the humidity along the way. But yea, I would do holes with a soldering iron over a screen lid for a tub setup.

And what would be the ideal way to head this setup? (I'm guessing uth)
    Yea, UTH with a thermostat. Maybe two, if your house is cold, like mine.
    Last edited by wnateg; 09-20-2019 at 10:51 AM.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

Ivylovessnakes (09-20-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

A good source of info on bloods (and by extension the other short tail pythons, the care practices are VERY similar if not identical, size and some temperament/colors are the main differences I've seen mentioned by breeders elsewhere) is here:
    https://www.bloodpythons.com/

They've got a lot of detail and good info, I recommend reading all of it closely. I'll highlight the most important bit below since a lot of care sheets on Google have this wrong from using bad sources themselves and is the #1 mistake people new to STPs make, even with a lot of other snake experience.

The key with short tails over other pythons is DO NOT use a lot of heat. They like temps in the 78-82 range, some like a 84 degree hot spot, others get cranky with that much heat. 82 is about the most they have to have to digest properly and doing higher heat, especially ambients, (85+) will generally get you the stereotypical "mean" temperament (wouldn't you be cranky if you were too hot?).

(2nd most common is keeping too wet or with sky high humidity. 60% day to day and 70% when you see a shed coming is plenty, they do not need nor do well with a swampy or wet substrate cage. Swampy cage generally causes scale rot on STPs)

I've had my blood about half a year now and he's been very good for me and quite calm.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-20-2019),Ivylovessnakes (09-20-2019),Stewart_Reptiles (09-20-2019)

Thanks

Thank you guys for all the useful replies! They're super helpful.

My current plan for my setup is the aforementioned Christmas tree storage bin. For heating, I'll probably be using a large reptitherm heating pad (though I would love cheaper recommendations) with all the bits and baubles required to control and measure heat. If it's too low to the floor, I'll probably get those little sticky cardboard things that you can get from the store (the ones meant for the legs of chairs) and use those to raise up the tub. For substrate, I'll be using newspaper or kraft paper. (Should I use unprinted newspaper, or printed? the ink won't be any harm to the python, will it? it may rub off when wet.)

Everything else is self explanatory. Large water bowl, maybe a ceramic dog bowl of some kind so it can fit properly if the tub has any weird corners to fit the wheels (the tub I have my eye on has wheels. Might prove useful). As far as hides go, I might go with something more appealing to the eye than the usual black plastic tub hide, but it's whatever is best for the snake. I might also try to add some kind of humidity box.

Odd question: I haven't seen it mentioned much, if anywhere, but will there be any way to offer my python some kind of stimulation within his enclosure? I'm probably projecting my mammalian ways onto his enclosure, but the basic setup does seem a bit... bleak. I have a feeling that it's whats best for the snake's sake, and mine while considering cleaning, but still.

(Bonus question: I'm living with my mom, and I might maybe still be in the process of convincing her to let me get a snake, as she's terrified of them. She's slowly transitioning into the "acceptance of her fate" stage. Any tips to keep it moving along? )

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ivylovessnakes View Post
    Thank you guys for all the useful replies! They're super helpful.

My current plan for my setup is the aforementioned Christmas tree storage bin. For heating, I'll probably be using a large reptitherm heating pad (though I would love cheaper recommendations) with all the bits and baubles required to control and measure heat. If it's too low to the floor, I'll probably get those little sticky cardboard things that you can get from the store (the ones meant for the legs of chairs) and use those to raise up the tub. For substrate, I'll be using newspaper or kraft paper. (Should I use unprinted newspaper, or printed? the ink won't be any harm to the python, will it? it may rub off when wet.)

Everything else is self explanatory. Large water bowl, maybe a ceramic dog bowl of some kind so it can fit properly if the tub has any weird corners to fit the wheels (the tub I have my eye on has wheels. Might prove useful). As far as hides go, I might go with something more appealing to the eye than the usual black plastic tub hide, but it's whatever is best for the snake. I might also try to add some kind of humidity box.

Odd question: I haven't seen it mentioned much, if anywhere, but will there be any way to offer my python some kind of stimulation within his enclosure? I'm probably projecting my mammalian ways onto his enclosure, but the basic setup does seem a bit... bleak. I have a feeling that it's whats best for the snake's sake, and mine while considering cleaning, but still.

(Bonus question: I'm living with my mom, and I might maybe still be in the process of convincing her to let me get a snake, as she's terrified of them. She's slowly transitioning into the "acceptance of her fate" stage. Any tips to keep it moving along? )

Because the species you are looking at lives for quite a long time, my recommendation is to go to an expo or pet store, look and handle a few adults to see if the size, weight and general temperaments work for you, as well as continue your research and follow the advice given to you in the above posts.

I don't agree with bringing any type of animals into someone else's home without their approval. Surprising her with one, or forcing her to accept one after it is brought home, is not fair to your mom and the snake. Many of us understand that temptation and desire to have a pet, and due to circumstances, can't have them at the time. Yea, it is just a snake, but it is your mother's home. Until she actually agrees with the idea, not out of fear or compromise, I just don't think this is a good idea. That is just my opinion.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I would highly suggest handling an adult or sub-adult blood/STP before purchasing one. I've got a Borneo STP and he's unlike any other species I've ever kept or handled.

Being so short and stout they are essentially 100% terrestrial. They're not built for climbing and that transfers to how they handle. Most snake will wrap around your arm/wrist/hand, etc...to improve their grip and stability. STPs do not. You have to support their entire body weight without them doing much to help their balance. So it may be wise to try to handle a decent sized blood/STP so you know more what to expect.

My Borneo boy is also the only snake I've ever kept that has given me any difficulty at all with feeding. I've been working with him for almost 2 years trying to get him on F/T prey. He actually just ate his first F/T rat the other night (fingers crossed!), But it's been a frustrating adventure.

They're definitely not a "beginner" species. That being said, I'm not trying to dissuade you. My boy is an awesome animal, but if I didn't have 13+ years experience with various species I may not have chosen him. He's been my only snake since I started out in this hobby almost 20 years ago that challenges me, but he's so worth it.
    He is, absolutely, the epitome of a lap snake once he's out. He's content to just sit and chill with me while watching TV or whatever. I say "once he's out" because he can be a bit hissy at times. He'll hiss when I lift his hide and when I reach in to grab him, but outside a few isolated incidents hasn't struck at me. (He has a few times, but there was apparently a lot of that going on in the snake community, believed to be related to the heat wave and moon cycles at that time)
    He's also my only snake that I don't 100% trust with just anybody. All my others I can comfortably hand off to friends and family with no worries. My 4 year old niece has handled my smaller snakes and pet the others, but not him. Him, I will not. I just don't feel 100% confident in him. He's also my only snake that I don't let close to my face. I trust him, I'm confident in my ability to handle him, but at the core he's still a primitive animal, so I respect that.
    My other snakes can climb all over my face and it doesn't faze me.

All in all, he's a fantastic pet and I love him to death. He keeps my on my toes and reconnects me to the primitive creatures that I fell in love with many years ago.

Finally, I'm not one who subscribes to the "beginner" snakes rules of thumb. I say that if you've done proper research and due diligence it's really up to you how much you're willing to put in. Some are a bit trickier than others, but only you know what you're truly capable of and how hard you're willing to work. There are definitely easier species to care for, but if you want a blood/STP and have put in the time to research properly, I say go for it if it's the animal you want. It'll be yours to care for for 25+ years.

Good luck! Feel free to ask any follow up questions, I'm happy to help.

Edit to add: I have to agree with above. Don't bring a snake into somebody's house without their consent.
    If you're still living at home you're likely young. You've got plenty of time. Something else to consider: when you do move out, will you be able to bring the snake? Dorms, apartments, etc...can be very difficult to find that allow snakes. Also most people need roommates, and many roommates won't be willing to live with a snake. Just something to think about...
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 09-20-2019 at 02:24 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Ivylovessnakes (09-20-2019)

Thanks

@ Cheesenugget:

I'm definitely going to see about handling at some shows! I'm fairly sure about my choice, but I know I need to get some more specific experience and be able to ask questions about the animals to some people irl.

And oh, I know! Sorry, I was a little vague. As mentioned, while my mom is very afraid of snakes, I am very honest with her about my interests, and I haven't yet heard a downright "no" from her. That said, she is still very on the fence, and very clearly distressed with the idea of bringing a snake into her home. If she says no, I will do my best to respect her choice, but as of right now she has been luckily open enough to briefly discuss what I know and what I've researched. Soon here, she wants to watch some videos with me about snakes and keeping them as pets. I'm going to be sure to keep the conversation going about these reptiles, and I've also made it clear to her that it won't just be for me- going into animal education and things like that, owning a snake will give me valuable experience on handling and caring for snakes like the sumatran, and I may also potentially be able to use said snake as an educational tool to teach others about snakes- but only if the individual I would get isn't overstressed by something like that.
    Last edited by Ivylovessnakes; 09-20-2019 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Because the quote option didn't go through

Thanks

SST are excellent snakes and easy to keep. I don’t have any in my collection now but have kept them in the past. All were super calm snakes that were easy to handle. No biting, no squirming, just easy going.

They are remarkably inactive, like all short tails, they make BPs seem hyperactive.

I disagree with keeping adults in a Christmas tree tub. It’s too narrow. These are short but hefty snakes. I kept adults in 3x2 or 4x2 depending on their bulk.
    High humidity is a must otherwise you will be dealing endlessly with bad sheds and stuck eye caps. Humid, not wet.

I primarily fed adults a large rat every two weeks. But all of them would eat anything offered; rats, rabbit, chicken and quail. They drink quite a bit more water than your average python, so keep an eye on the water bowl.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DennisM For This Useful Post:

Ivylovessnakes (09-25-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast