Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,183

3 members and 3,180 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

Re: I just found Luna dead.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudtheBoa View Post
    ... I had all of my rainbow boas die from similar symptoms, and when I talked with a representative at the University of Florida, one of the vets there said he's noticed rainbow boas tend to have a strange condition...
    First, I'm so sorry for your losses as well. How long has it been? How many did you lose? That's just so sad, they're such beautiful snakes.

Is this thought to be an inherited defect of some kind? Or something contagious, if you (or they) know? Thanks for adding your information here,
    "mysteries love company"- but I hope the vets can figure out what's causing this sad situation & can help in the future.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-18-2019 at 08:45 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    First, I'm so sorry for your losses as well. How long has it been? How many did you lose? That's just so sad, they're such beautiful snakes.

Is this thought to be an inherited defect of some kind? Or something contagious, if you (or they) know? Thanks for adding your information here, mysteries love company-
    I hope the vets can figure out what's causing this sad situation & can help.
    Thank you. The first death happened in Nov 2015, and the last one died April 2018. 3 BRBs died with regurgitation and weight loss. The fourth one escaped while my mom was caring for her, and was either eaten by my anery motley boa or just gone.

I’m not sure, from what I was told, they’re still researching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-18-2019)

Thanks
    Under the circumstances, then, I really hope that Skyrivers sends Luna in for a necropsy too...I hope they get some answers, it's very disturbing. It's not like you're
    some newbie keepers or anything either. This shouldn't be happening. Poor snakes...ugh. (I assume they ruled out some nasties with yours?)

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Under the circumstances, then, I really hope that Skyrivers sends Luna in for a necropsy too...I hope they get some answers, it's very disturbing. It's not like you're
    some newbie keepers or anything either. This shouldn't be happening. Poor snakes...ugh. (I assume they ruled out some nasties with yours?)
    One came back with an odd case of renal coccidiosis, the other septicemia. In the case of septicemia, she died without any symptoms beyond one regurgitation and she died before I could feed her again. I had her maybe 2 months. The other was supposedly born with a regurgitation problem, and a necropsy wasn’t performed on the third. It’s strange only the BRBs were affected, and the necropsy results were different...they all came from the same breeder, too.

BRBs are fairly delicate snakes. I’ve never had an issue with any other species. I may try my luck again, with a different breeder, but if things go the same way I’ll swear off them. Lol

8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-18-2019)

Thanks

One came back with an odd case of renal coccidiosis, the other septicemia. In the case of septicemia, she died without any symptoms beyond one regurgitation and she died before I could feed her again. I had her maybe 2 months. The other was supposedly born with a regurgitation problem, and a necropsy wasn’t performed on the third. It’s strange only the BRBs were affected, and the necropsy results were different...they all came from the same breeder, too.

BRBs are fairly delicate snakes. I’ve never had an issue with any other species. I may try my luck again, with a different breeder, but if things go the same way I’ll swear off them. Lol

Sounds like some inbreeding &/or other "breeder conditions" contributed to your losses, with all being from the same source. I wonder who Skyrivers got his from?
    Yours are just too much to be a coincidence, IMO. Again, so sorry...it's hard to go thru that sort of thing, & sad for those working with these pretty creatures.

And no one, certainly not me, could blame you if you never felt like working with them again.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-18-2019 at 09:30 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts
    Awwww so sorry!
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

Thanks
    I am so sorry for your loss, it is always so hard when losing a pet.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-19-2019),richardhind1972 (09-18-2019)

Thanks
    I’m so sorry Sky!!!

I also wanted a brb and one of my good friends that owns a shop here in Houston told me how so many of them just drop dead and convinced me to stay away. It’s sad because I think they may be the best looking snake out there.
    I’m just a bill sitting on top of capital hill.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-19-2019),CloudtheBoa (09-19-2019),Toad37 (09-19-2019)

Thanks

I remember your posts about yours passing. We had a conversation about your avatar wearing a slipknot shirt
    I’m just a bill sitting on top of capital hill.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

CloudtheBoa (09-23-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Sorry for your loss Sky. RIP Luna.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast