Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,282

1 members and 3,281 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: Another newbie, thinking ahead

Looks real nice !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    The show is in Indianapolis, we attended the last one in August. The kids are definitely excited. My son can be kind of timid and he had been talking all summer about snakes and trying to catch one at our house. I honestly figured he would be too scared of one so I took him to the last show and my daughter tagged along as well. They both loved them and each wanted one. I told them to wait so I could make sure they didn't lose interest and have time to learn what they are getting into. I had to convince them we need to start with one to see what we are getting into. They have paid for everything their selves and are paying for the snake. Time will still tell if it will be their or mine this time next year, lol. I've had birds and fish but this will be our first reptile.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Midwest For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (10-31-2019)

Thanks

Thanks

Still trying to learn the pictures on here but above is what the kids picked out today. It is a male Pastel HET Clown 66% HET Pied. I'm sure that makes more sense to you then it does to me. No interest in breeding so we just shopped around and found one they liked. They have named him Dexter and he was hatched on July 2nd and currently weighs in at 214 grams. The breeder we used only feeds live so we will have to overcome that but I'm sure it won't be a huge deal. He last ate on Tuesday so I've got a few days....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    Before you buy a tank an snake. Check with your local animal shelter (an craigslist). It seems people like to buy snakes an then after a month or two give them away.

Next thing you know your kids will be building rat racks to feed the snake. Oh, an one snake for two kids will cause fights. An two snakes becomes 10 in a month or two

Good luck!
    Agree...

Thanks
    I do have a couple questions I wanted to get your guys input on. Breeder said he has been eating live rat pups. I plan to go to F/T.....I assume it would be wise to feed him live rat pups the first few feedings after coming home and let him unwind a little. I assumed it would not be a good idea to try the switch right after bringing him home??

Also, since he is a little older he has been handled a lot and seems very calm. I was planning to still let him eat a few times before we handle him, or is that not as critical since he has had many feedings already?
    Last edited by Midwest; 11-10-2019 at 02:27 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest View Post
    I do have a couple questions I wanted to get your guys input on. Breeder said he has been eating live rat pups. I plan to go to F/T.....I assume it would be wise to feed him live rat pups the first few feedings after coming home and let him unwind a little. I assumed it would not be a good idea to try the switch right after bringing him home??

Also, since he is a little older he has been handled a lot and seems very calm. I was planning to still let him eat a few times before we handle him, or is that not as critical since he has had many feedings already?
    offer F/T. worst case scenario they miss a few meals. sometimes tough love is best love.

NINJA EDIT: almost every baby beep ive gotten started on live, and the "transition" was simply offering F/T to a hungry snake.

no handling until the snake is comfortable enough to eat 3 consecutive meals.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 11-10-2019 at 06:49 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Yes it would be best to feed him live rat pups for a while. Do you have easy access to buying them? After you get things going good and him eating and all acclimated, then down the road ask on here again when would be a good time to give f/t a try.

To help get him acclimated I would wait now till you get 3 successful feedings done to do much or any handling regardless of previous handling.
    He is in a new home now and the acclimation is starting from scratch. After the 3 feedings remember to wait 48 hrs. after it eats to handle him
    to help prevent regurge. You will want to wait that 48 hrs every time you feed in the future.

Thanks
    Thanks for all the advice. Ill have to check around of some live rat pups. I'm right between several big cities, Indianapolis, Dayton, OH, Ft. Wayne, so I am sure I can come up with some and then I can get some F/T.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Thanks for all the advice. Ill have to check around of some live rat pups. I'm right between several big cities, Indianapolis, Dayton, OH, Ft. Wayne, so I am sure I can come up with some and then I can get some F/T.
    If you absolutely can't find any live rat pups you could use a 18-32 gram live adult mouse. But I would try real hard to get the rat pups. Good luck. Were the boys excited to finally have their snake?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast