Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,383

1 members and 1,382 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts

Re: Another newbie, thinking ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest View Post
    I know nothing about those tanks or your turtles, but I read that the critter cage is not sealed to hold water. Assuming your turtle habitat would have water? Just something to check.
    Yes, I did read that after I did some more research. It would only be a few inches of water, so it probably would work with a reseal, but not going to risk it.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    Yes, I did read that after I did some more research. It would only be a few inches of water, so it probably would work with a reseal, but not going to risk it.
    I wouldn't take the chance either: glass for terrariums is thinner & weaker than glass for aquariums. Even a little water is very heavy. I've always preferred aquariums
    for this reason & have never had one break. (Even when they get bumped or snakes hit them hard; also never had one crack when sprayed for cleaning over the UTH.)
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

wnateg (09-19-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    Before you buy a tank an snake. Check with your local animal shelter (an craigslist). It seems people like to buy snakes an then after a month or two give them away.

Next thing you know your kids will be building rat racks to feed the snake. Oh, an one snake for two kids will cause fights. An two snakes becomes 10 in a month or two

Good luck!
    Thanks for the input. We met several breeders at the last show and my kids and I gravitated toward one. She was great with the kids, teaching them and allowing them to handle many of her snakes. Being a first timer I feel better knowing what I am getting, and having someone who is willing to help us should an issue arrive.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Midwest For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (09-20-2019),Bogertophis (09-20-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Thanks for the input. We met several breeders at the last show and my kids and I gravitated toward one. She was great with the kids, teaching them and allowing them to handle many of her snakes. Being a first timer I feel better knowing what I am getting, and having someone who is willing to help us should an issue arrive.
    I'd say go with that and go with her, if that's what makes you feel comfortable. Sounds like a good plan.

For suggestive help on getting stuff to get ready you can ask here on this thread or pm me. Would be glad to try and help you find it, as the others here would be glad to give suggestions.

Thanks

I've gotten 2 ball pythons from the local big box pet store. They weren't in the greatest shape, but their doing ok so far, 1 has a small issue with regurgitation that I'm dealing with. Paid $30.00 for each of them, one is a normal, one is a fancy

I've adopted 2 snakes from my local humane society, both of them have turned out to be really good snakes, 1 corn snake and 1 ball python
    I paid $20.00 to adopt each of them, and they both came with a glass tank.

I've gotten a re homed snake from CL, paid more for her, but again a very good snake, gentle and no issues from her either.

after 30 days at my house I do take each of them to the local exotic vet to get checked out, that is $45.00 per snake.

So you can pay quite a bit less than what the original price is on their snakes.
    Last edited by Gocntry; 09-20-2019 at 03:38 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    I picked up the critter cage yesterday. In my area they are marked down to 42.00. If you pay online and pick up in the store then you get an additional 10% off. Once I got it home and opened it up there was a rebate book inside with 100.00 worth of rebates. One of them was a 10.00 rebate on the 20 gallon critter cage so I saved another 10.00 with that. Will end up with around 30.00 total in the 20.00 long tank with the mesh top.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Midwest For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts

I picked up the critter cage yesterday. In my area they are marked down to 42.00. If you pay online and pick up in the store then you get an additional 10% off. Once I got it home and opened it up there was a rebate book inside with 100.00 worth of rebates. One of them was a 10.00 rebate on the 20 gallon critter cage so I saved another 10.00 with that. Will end up with around 30.00 total in the 20.00 long tank with the mesh top.
    "And so it begins..."
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Glad that worked out for you. It would have cost you that much at least if you went with an aquarium. Because after buying the aquarium you would then need to buy a lid and they're not cheap. And then you would need clips to clip the lid down and I know from experience that can be a pain to undo every time you need to do something. With what we have you have the trap door to do a lot of stuff. (like put in the feeder, do temp. readings, adjust things, etc.) And Critter cages by Zilla are very secure. The lid locks down by sliding it shut just right. I use wall hooks to secure the trap door and the lid by putting them through the holes. (see my gallery)

You will be so glad you went this route, believe me. We are here to help.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonsrock2 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanks for all the help and replies everyone. So my plan right now is to get two UTH's and thermostats for each. Once I get it up and running I will monitor the temps/humidity before getting the BP. The next show is Nov. 10th so I have some time. Usually by then the temps outside are cool enough that I will be running out furnace so I will know if the two UTH's will be enough to keep the tank at the correct temps or not. I have some 3/4 inch thick foam insulation panels in my garage left over from a construction project so I can put them on the outside of the back and sides of the tank if needed and will cover the screen top as needed to keep heat and humidity in check. If the ambient temps in the tank aren't high enough once the cool season gets here I will get another source to bring it up some. Now I just need to get on Amazon and order the rest of the "stuff". Right now I am planning on the 2 UTH's, two thermostats, water dish, two hides, hygrometer and thermometers for inside, an IR hand held thermometer, and feeding tongs. I will also get some wood and other decor for inside. I'm sure Ill find some other stuff I need but this should get the necessities. Kids have enough money put back to pay for everything as well as the BP.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

You could get 2 thermostat's from say Amazon or if you want to go top of the line on your thermostat purchase you could get the herpstat 2 which would run both of your uth's. Or Herpstat 4 handles 4 but is $339 They are definitely higher than say the Century or the Vivosun but the Herpstat brand is safer in the long run and lasts many years. It is a favorite of many of the people on here. If you got the Herpstat 2 that might be all you need (2 UTH's). If you need more heat like say from above using a night black light by Zilla or CHE you could put that on a Herpstat Intro or a 3rd option (and a VERY good option) would be to go to reptilebasics.com and get a VE-300 for $139.99 which would handle 3 if you need 3 not a bad deal plus reptilebasics sell hides and other stuff like UTH's (Ultratherm's). Walmart.com also sells the Century thermostat if you decide to go the cheaper route.

Herpstat direct from the maker.https://www.spyderrobotics.com/index...=index&cPath=1

Herpstat 2 on bean farm link. https://beanfarm.com/products/herpst...nt=24905373513

Herpstat intro on bean farm https://www.beanfarm.com/products/he...nt=24905410121

Also a very nice thermostat that handles 3 (your 2 UTH's and an overhead night light bulb or say a che (ceramic heat emitter)
    https://www.reptilebasics.com/ve-300
    Last edited by ballpythonsrock2; 09-25-2019 at 11:17 AM. Reason: spelling mishap

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast