Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,928

0 members and 1,928 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts

Re: Another newbie, thinking ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest View Post
    I have read that the UTH don't do anything for ambient temp in the tank
    That's not the case. Like Bogertophis said above, heat rises, so the UTH, especially two of them, will have a noticeable effect on the ambient temp.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

Thanks
    Sounds good, I might just start with 2 UTH's and go from there. From what I have read, taped to the bottom with the probe sandwiched between the mat and the glass is the most common setup?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts

So the recommendation above of two heat pads, would that be if I went the tub route or would that work in a glass tank as well. I have read that the UTH don't do anything for ambient temp in the tank, just the spot directly above them. Just my personal preference but I prefer the more natural look of a tank as apposed to a tub, so right now I would rather go that route and deal with the heating issues. If 68 or so degrees in the room is enough to allow me to just run 2 UTH's I would do that. I know nothing about them but they seem safer overall then a UTH or heat lamp.
    UTH works for glass tank too, & I'm one of those "dinosaurs" here that happens to prefer & use all glass tanks, I'm just not currently keeping BPs...I have in the past though.I also run a house-full of UTH, & have for 34+ years now. Heat rises...UTH heat rises into the tank OR tub...it's what you do to KEEP it there that matters.

The thing is that in a cool house, you'll want (need) to insulate whatever you house your snake in for best results. Many ways to do that easily, & many inexpensive & readily available materials to do that with. I prefer the nice visibility of glass, also that it's inert (not off-gassing who-knows-what like plastic does) & non-combustible. Plastics also scratch readily, & in time get foggy, even if only wiped with paper towels. Plastic is lighter weight & cheaper, but neither makes it better to me, anyway. Many here disagree.

Easy to install styro-foam-board, sheet cork (or cork tiles), corrugated cardboard, poster board (foam core), even carpet tiles (self stick), etc.- on the back & sides of a glass tank; also you can add about 4" along the bottom of the front without missing much, & underneath (but allow the required 'breathing' gaps for UTH safe operation!!!).

Many will claim that the professional 'plastic' (PVC or HDPE) enclosures hold the warmth in better than glass, but much of that is because there is very little air exchange, so keep that in mind whatever you go with. Minimize vents as needed: those keeping BPs or other species needing more humidity already cover much of the screen tops anyway in order to keep in the humidity, but it will keep in heat too. You & your kids will learn (or practice) a little science along with keeping snakes.

Another really good insulator is wood...yes, you can line the outside of a tank with thin plywood, but instead, you can also find a nice home entertainment type cabinet in a thrift store (for cheap!) into which your glass tank sits...that's another way to go...you're only limited by your imagination. BTW, you don't have to "look at" your insulation either...on a glass tank, install some nice scenery first (sold it pet stores & online for this purpose...much is for fish, but some works for reptiles nicely too), then attach insulation behind that. Voila!
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-18-2019 at 05:34 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Whatever you decide for housing your snake, just set it up & run it for at least a week BEFORE you get a snake to put inside...you many find that you need to tweak
    things, & if you need to order or shop for something you don't have to make needed modifications, you don't want to stress your new snake by allowing improper
    temps./conditions, or by having to remove the snake (or work around it) while you make changes. New snakes need to settle in stress-free in order to do their best-
    no handling until they eat at least 3 times at regular intervals for you is the best practice. (having a snake refuse food is NOT fun, & can impact their health)

Thanks
    I just looked and my local Petco has the Zilla critter cage, 20 gallon long with sliding/locking screen top for 42.00 plus 10% off if I order online and pick up in the store. That is likely the route I will go to start.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Midwest For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (09-19-2019),Bogertophis (09-19-2019),wnateg (09-19-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts
    I just wanted to say from one parent to another that you are doing a great job!
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts

I just looked and my local Petco has the Zilla critter cage, 20 gallon long with sliding/locking screen top for 42.00 plus 10% off if I order online and pick up in the store. That is likely the route I will go to start.
    Thanks for mentioning that. I was looking for a tank for my alligator snapping turtle hatchling.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

Thanks

I know nothing about those tanks or your turtles, but I read that the critter cage is not sealed to hold water. Assuming your turtle habitat would have water? Just something to check.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Midwest For This Useful Post:

wnateg (09-19-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Before you buy a tank an snake. Check with your local animal shelter (an craigslist). It seems people like to buy snakes an then after a month or two give them away.

Next thing you know your kids will be building rat racks to feed the snake. Oh, an one snake for two kids will cause fights. An two snakes becomes 10 in a month or two

Good luck!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-19-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    Before you buy a tank an snake. Check with your local animal shelter (an craigslist). It seems people like to buy snakes an then after a month or two give them away...
    A snake from either source (pet store or animal shelter/craigslist) likely to have a similar chance of coming with a health issue, greater than one from
    a reputable breeder IMO. You may "get what you pay for", or get a terrific pet, especially if you pay close attention & ask the right questions. Could
    be worth checking out (shelter & CL), for sure.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-19-2019 at 06:46 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast