Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,711

0 members and 2,711 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Another newbie, thinking ahead

My 10 and 14 year old have spent the last several months discussing a BP as a pet. I figured it would pass so I didn't make an impulse buy and have instead let them spend the last month or two on youtube reading the do's and donts. What it takes to care for one, cost's, etc. After a couple months the thought has not gone away and are saving their own money to purchase everything.

We went to a local reptile show a month ago just so they could hold some and see how they would act around them, I thought the youngest might be scared but he is now even more excited. We spoke with a breeder there and are going to meet with her again at the next show in November, so I want to get a game plan together in the mean time.

We didn't plan on going with a brand new hatchling but we still wanted one young enough, hopefully out of the nippy stage and one that has been eating and getting through sheds OK. Assuming that is what we end up with I am planning to go with a 20 gallon long tank, heat mat, multiple hides, water dish, and probably a CHE as well. I am pretty handy around the shop so my long term plan is to build something similar to a T8 as it begins to outgrow the 20 gallon glass tank. Assuming the kids are still interested and active I would likely go with a heat panel in the permanent enclosure.
    I have been watching craigslist so if I come across a deal on some other type of enclosure/terarrium I am not dead set on the 20 gallon long, those just can be gotten relatively cheap new and used.

I have spent the last couple weeks reading on here and my plan is to get things set up in the next month so I have some time to make sure I can keep the temps and humidity where it needs to be. For the basic beginning set up am I missing any necessities?

My list so far:
    20 gallon long aquarium with locking screen lid
    UTH with thermostat in place
    CHE with thermostat in place
    2 hides
    Water dish
    Thermometer/hygrometer (will research brands etc.) for inside
    Hand held laser/infrared thermometer.
    I plan to use some type of mulch type substrate instead of paper/paper towel etc.
    Feeding tongs

The room the snake will be in is upstairs at our house, in the winter we keep the thermostat upstairs around 68 degrees, so I will prepare accordingly to keep the tank temps where they need to be.
    If I am missing anything please chime in, I am all ears at this point. I grew up with an older brother who had snakes most of his child hood (mainly boas) so I know some of the basics but am really starting from scratch.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Quick thought: a new 20 gal. tank is only $1 per gallon on sales at Petco (etc), while a used one will need hours (I'm serious!) of disinfection using several products
    one after another (not together!), & thorough rinsing in between, to make it safe for your snake to inhabit. Don't buy a used tank! It's not worth the risk...you must
    ALWAYS assume that the previous occupant of any used tank may have died from IBD or crypto or something else your snake can catch & die from. (unless you know
    & trust the previous owner of the tank, just don't!) A new tank is far cheaper than the needed medical care by the nearest exotic veterinarian.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-18-2019 at 03:12 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-18-2019),Jakob_Ansel (10-30-2019),wnateg (09-18-2019)

Thanks
    Thanks for the thought. I have been watching our local Petco for a month or so. Right now they are running about 40.00 which is no problem but would like to catch them on sale if possible. The price is not a deal breaker if they don't go on sale in the next month or so.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Midwest For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (09-19-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    It sounds like you've done a great job getting the basics down. I agree with Bogertophis that it'd be wiser to buy a new enclosure, at least to start.

I've bought a few used enclosures, but PVC style, so it was worth it to take the time to properly clean it. But for an inexpensive glass enclosure I would just go new.

Just some food for thought....
    BPs live 20+ years in captivity, so with the kids at those ages there will need to be a long term plan in place.
    If the kids go off to college, dorms and most apartments won't allow snakes.
    If they don't go to college and get their own places, many apartments won't allow pets, and often specifically exotics. Not to mention, it may be hard finding a roommate willing to live with a snake in the house.
    What happens if one kid moves away? Who keeps the snake? What happens if both go away and can't take the snake? Will you keep it?

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer. This hobby just sees a lot of snakes being rehomed cause the kids lost interest, or moved and can't take the snake, etc....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-18-2019)

Thanks
    I am assuming if the snake can't go away with them immediately after highs school then it will stay with me (im fine with that) until one of them gets settled in. They were actually planning to get one each and I told them we would start with one for a couple years and see how that goes, before we dive in with both feet.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Midwest For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-18-2019),Craiga 01453 (09-18-2019),FollowTheSun (09-19-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Re: Another newbie, thinking ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    This hobby just sees a lot of snakes being rehomed cause the kids lost interest, or moved and can't take the snake, etc....
    That's a good point, I've currently got a dozen-ish free snakes under my roof for those reasons (and others).

As an alternative to the 20-gal enclosure, Hefty makes clear storage tubs with latching lids that you can purchase at Lowes. They are inexpensive and secure enough to keep a snake contained, plus they retain heat and humidity better than glass tanks do. They work well until your snake grows up to where it would be comfortable in a proper PVC enclosure designed for reptiles.

Instead of using a CHE during the cold winter months when your house is 68*F you would use two heat pads, one set around 80-82*F, the other at 90-92*F, with a hide over each.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest View Post
    I am assuming if the snake can't go away with them immediately after highs school then it will stay with me (im fine with that) until one of them gets settled in. They were actually planning to get one each and I told them we would start with one for a couple years and see how that goes, before we dive in with both feet.
    Awesome!!! That's great you have a plan in place. I wasn't trying to discourage you, as I'm all for seeing kids take an interest in snakes and other "non-traditional" pets.

I just didn't want the experience to end up being a negative experience.

You're off to a great start! Keep up the good work. Feel free to ask any and all questions you may have. We're happy to help.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-18-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Instead of using a CHE during the cold winter months when your house is 68*F you would use two heat pads, one set around 80-82*F, the other at 90-92*F, with a hide over each.
    I was going to recommend the same thing. CHE's can also suck up the humidity.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    I was going to recommend the same thing. CHE's can also suck up the humidity.
    Not only that but overhead heat of any kind is less efficient, since heat rises & a lot of heat never reaches the bottom, it just goes "up up & away".

I do use some supplemental overhead heat for some snakes, but my house is never that cool either, & just want OP to be aware, it might not be the best option for you (Midwest).

And Midwest, we commend you for doing your research & planning well ahead of time.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-18-2019 at 04:30 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

wnateg (09-18-2019)

Thanks
    So the recommendation above of two heat pads, would that be if I went the tub route or would that work in a glass tank as well. I have read that the UTH don't do anything for ambient temp in the tank, just the spot directly above them. Just my personal preference but I prefer the more natural look of a tank as apposed to a tub, so right now I would rather go that route and deal with the heating issues. If 68 or so degrees in the room is enough to allow me to just run 2 UTH's I would do that. I know nothing about them but they seem safer overall then a UTH or heat lamp.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast