Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,745

0 members and 2,745 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help asap

Thanks

Need help asap

So I have a few hatchling bps that I got from some one sketchy (my first mistake) and I'm pretty sure they didn't have their first meal since one of them still had his embriotic skin and they were all around 50 grams. Ive had them about two months and they each have taken a live hopper but a few have regurgitated and they all refuse frozen and lately haven't accepted anything. My first thought was I'll get some african soft furs, but they're illegal in the state of virginia so no dice. A few of the babies are seriously worrying me one has dropped to 46 grams. Is there anything I can do to get them to eat? Temps and humidity are all fine, they've got hides and are kept in a rack system in 6 quarter tubs. I've tried braining, screnting, and every other trick in the book. Any other tips would be very very appreciated!!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    " Temps and humidity are all fine" No offense but we hear this all the time. Be specific.

Have you been handling them? At all? That can make them regurgitate meals, & also make them too stressed to eat at all. STOP if you are.

Is this your first experience keeping (any kind or age of) snakes?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: Need help asap

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgiebear1 View Post
    So I have a few hatchling bps that I got from some one sketchy (my first mistake) and I'm pretty sure they didn't have their first meal since one of them still had his embriotic skin and they were all around 50 grams. Ive had them about two months and they each have taken a live hopper but a few have regurgitated and they all refuse frozen and lately haven't accepted anything. My first thought was I'll get some african soft furs, but they're illegal in the state of virginia so no dice. A few of the babies are seriously worrying me one has dropped to 46 grams. Is there anything I can do to get them to eat? Temps and humidity are all fine, they've got hides and are kept in a rack system in 6 quarter tubs. I've tried braining, screnting, and every other trick in the book. Any other tips would be very very appreciated!!
    As above post plus feed evenings & try the ‘hairdryer’ method , dangle the warm mouse in front of the hide entrance when the snake has been settled in the hide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

No offense taken and no I'm not a new keeper ive been keeping for going on ten years now and I haven't had any problems with feeding until now out of 30 ball pythons this group has been giving me the worst time. Thermostat for the hatchling rack has been set to 85. They haven't been handle except for weekly cleanings.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There are a few things here if not done already

Have aspen bedding if you have aspen switch to coco chips

Temps no higher that 88

Continue offering live mice

Add crumble newspaper in the tub if security is an issue.

Now those are the thing that can be done however this
    live hopper but a few have regurgitated
    is what is alarming, hopefully any animal that has regurgitated you have waited 2 weeks before offering again?

Some young animals it's rare but it happens with either not eat or regurge when they do even when kept in optimum environment, those are usually animals that have some type of gastrointestinal issue (malformation blockage etc). Prognostic on animals with this type of issues are usually grimm as not vet would nor would likely be able to perform any type of surgery to correct the issue (if that would even be possible) on something that small. I had a few over the years it's sad but it's one of those "not meant to be" so you need to be aware of that possibility.

Now those animals even if unlikely at that age could internal parasites, that however is treatable.

There are also animals that fail to thrive and will never have the willpower to feed on their own.

The last thing if everything fails will be assisting depending on their overall shape and see how that goes and see if they keep the food down, if they do, assisting for a few meals (always alternating by offering live first and assisting next day if refused) may trigger them to eat on their own but right now not keeping the food down is more concerning than not feeding.
    Deborah Stewart

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (09-18-2019),Bogertophis (09-18-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    As above post plus feed evenings & try the ‘hairdryer’ method , dangle the warm mouse in front of the hide entrance when the snake has been settled in the hide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I have been feeding in the evenings usually around the time its already gotten pretty dark. I have also tried the hair dryer method most of them just ball up more.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    There are a few things here if not done already

Have aspen bedding if you have aspen switch to coco chips

Temps no higher that 88

Continue offering live mice

Add crumble newspaper in the tub if security is an issue.

Now those are the thing that can be done however this is what is alarming, hopefully any animal that has regurgitated you have waited 2 weeks before offering again?

Some young animals it's rare but it happens with either not eat or regurge when they do even when kept in optimum environment, those are usually animals that have some type of gastrointestinal issue (malformation blockage etc). Prognostic on animals with this type of issues are usually grimm as not vet would nor would likely be able to perform any type of surgery to correct the issue (if that would even be possible) on something that small. I had a few over the years it's sad but it's one of those "not meant to be" so you need to be aware of that possibility.

Now those animals even if unlikely at that age could internal parasites, that however is treatable.

There are also animals that fail to thrive and will never have the willpower to feed on their own.

The last thing if everything fails will be assisting depending on their overall shape and see how that goes and see if they keep the food down, if they do, assisting for a few meals (always alternating by offering live first and assisting next day if refused) may trigger them to eat on their own but right now not keeping the food down is more concerning than not feeding.
    I appreciate the advice! I forgot to mention in my original post that they've all been to and my regular exotic vet and have been cleared of everything. The vet gave me carnivore care tube feed diet as a last resort but I'd really like to exhaust my option before going that route.

Thanks

My first thought was I'll get some african soft furs, but they're illegal in the state of virginia so no dice.
    Sorry, I'm no help for the regurge, not eating, I'm dealing with that too.

But on the African soft furs.... seriously? those are illegal? (I'm in Northern Va.) Is it just breeding them? only live ones? What if frozen ones are ordered from out of state? Is that legal here? being they are already dead?

I know your dealing with issues, Sorry to go off track, just had some questions on that part...

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

I appreciate the advice! I forgot to mention in my original post that they've all been to and my regular exotic vet and have been cleared of everything. The vet gave me carnivore care tube feed diet as a last resort but I'd really like to exhaust my option before going that route.
    Than if in the clear the reason several animals regurgitated is on your end and something you are not doing right? If so what is it? Snakes especially BP don't just regurgitate without a GOOD reason.

And if anything medically wrong has been ruled out by your vet something pertinent to husbandry is the cause and it could also be the same reason why they refuse to eat.
    Deborah Stewart

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-18-2019),Lord Sorril (09-18-2019)

Thanks

I brought pictures of my set ups to my vet to confirm nothing was wrong with my set up. His only guess was they may not have been started on their first meal or there is some sort of genetic issue going on that they cannot determine. (I know that is my mistake for getting these animals and now I'm dealing with it. Seller lied to me and from the pictures I got they looked like well started babies until I picked them up and got blocked immediately after questioning their well being)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gocntry View Post
    Sorry, I'm no help for the regurge, not eating, I'm dealing with that too.

But on the African soft furs.... seriously? those are illegal? (I'm in Northern Va.) Is it just breeding them? only live ones? What if frozen ones are ordered from out of state? Is that legal here? being they are already dead?

I know your dealing with issues, Sorry to go off track, just had some questions on that part...
    I just found out about it too and you can get frozen shipped from out for state but no African live rodents for any reason are allowed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast