Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,025

5 members and 3,020 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Are you looking to buy a Ball Python?

Are you thinking about buying a new Ball Python? (Especially first time buyers)

Why not consider buying an older (adult) Ball. One that is a couple years old or at least 500 grams or above.

The advantages:

1. You can have a large adult enclosure ready to go right from the start. Get what you need and keep it.
    2. It will be an established eater. ( probably on small frozen rat )
    3. Think of the money you saved by not having to buy all them previous feeders.
    4. There are many year or two old snakes to be found, most breeders probably have some, you can find them everywhere.
    5. If you find a reputable breeder health wise it will be most likely doing good.

Everybody wants the cute babies. But getting an adult is sure easier and cheaper for many people better because a lot of people that come
    on here sure have a lot of trouble with the babies and Juveniles and getting them the right set up and getting them to eat. Why not
    let the experts, (the breeders) do the hard part and get them into adulthood then you can take over.

I know some breeders won't like this thread because I'm messing with there income but for you new people looking to buy it is
    something to consider . Some can raise babe's no sweat but some would be better off getting an adult that is a year or two old.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ballpythonsrock2 For This Useful Post:

Alicia (09-21-2019),Bogertophis (09-18-2019),FollowTheSun (09-18-2019),Gocntry (09-18-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (09-19-2019),Toad37 (09-18-2019),wnateg (09-18-2019)

Thanks

Re: Are you looking to buy a Ball Python?

Adults are typically more expensive and its not as easy to find specific morphs.
    1.0 Normal BP
    0.0.1 Albino Corn Snake

Thanks
    Thanked 19,794 Times in 11,828 Posts
    There's pros & cons to this, & I think your point is a good one (many BPs need new homes! other snakes too, for that matter) but here's a few "cons"":

Many first-time snake owners are intimidated by the size of an adult ball python that they haven't "grown to know" & feel comfortable with. Not all, but some.

Many adult BPs are MORE likely to fast for a long time when re-homed, presumably because as older & experienced snakes, they're more aware & stressed by the
    changes in their environment. New owners and long-fasting BPs are a very frustrating combination...though I'm assuming the buyer is once-again 'new' to snakes.
    I actually recommend first time snake buyers get at least a yearling snake, one that's well-started, IF we're not talking about BPs. But BPs are a bit "different".

Another risk to buying an older snake is that while some are healthy & well-started, others are for sale because their owners "know something you don't"...like they
    were exposed to something contagious or that the RI they've been treated for in the past keeps coming back... (ie. they have a resistant issue, or the start of an
    RI that a new buyer may not notice right off). Just saying...there's many great snakes available that aren't hatchling/neonates, but just be careful, ask questions, &
    do your research...it's always "buyer beware" anyways, for snakes of ALL ages...and well-started snakes can be a real blessing as long as they're healthy.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Alicia (09-21-2019),ballpythonsrock2 (09-18-2019),bcr229 (09-18-2019),pretends2bnormal (09-18-2019),Stewart_Reptiles (09-18-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Over the years I have often suggested larger animals to some people usually it’s based on their expectation or including a kid factor in the mix where I will always recommend an animal 500 grams or up (since they are more foolproof handle better compare to hatchlings.
    Now the issue is really supply and demand and therefore price, and usually adult females are at a premium (so yes you save money on the food you did not have to offer but you don’t save that much money).

So buying bigger animals is not easy from the pet owner perspective that does not want to pay the premium of a snake that can breed and make a return, and as a breeder you sell an adult pricing will be the same whether you want it as a pet or breeder.

Now they could always adopt an older snake but that too can come with a set of issue and can quickly become a costly nightmare.

My main issue with some buyers and some breeders in a hurry to sell not have to house or feed is that we see (here for example) a lot of people that have animals that they should never have bought or should never have been sold to them, when you sell or buy anything under 100 grams it can go sideways very quickly and I have seen it on this forum too often, sadly as long as some people will sell babies out of the egg or with one meal in them and some people will buy them and then do what they want to do rather than what NEEDS to be done, it’s never gonna stop.

I think people need to release that their expectations are often too high and that yes older animals would be a much better fit for them.
    Deborah Stewart

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Alicia (09-21-2019),ballpythonsrock2 (09-18-2019),Bogertophis (09-18-2019)

Thanks
    I adopted a ball-python from my local humane society, she was an owner turn in (from size maybe?) was just under 500g when I got her,

She's stable, well established, shy but getting better, has never bitten or struck, and never missed a meal since I've had her.

No clue what the morph is, Pics are here:

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ighlight=morph

Morph didn't matter, was looking for a pet to give a home, I'm not a breeder, or do I have intentions to breed snakes.

I see enough that need a home, I can adopt / rescue.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (09-18-2019),Bogertophis (09-18-2019),FollowTheSun (09-18-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (09-19-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gocntry View Post
    I adopted a ball-python from my local humane society, she was an owner turn in (from size maybe?) was just under 500g when I got her,

She's stable, well established, shy but getting better, has never bitten or struck, and never missed a meal since I've had her.

No clue what the morph is, Pics are here:

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ighlight=morph

Morph didn't matter, was looking for a pet to give a home, I'm not a breeder, or do I have intentions to breed snakes.

I see enough that need a home, I can adopt / rescue.
    I LOVE that you did this! She's a great-looking BP (sorry, I don't know squat about morphs) & I love her name. Re-homes CAN work out great, for sure.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts
    I do wonder what happens to all those hatchlings, especially the normals or not quite so special morphs. I agree that if you are just looking for a pet, it's nice to find a "used" snake.

That being said, our first one was a 2 year old BP that my daughter saved up her money to buy the snake and enclosure, etc. Unfortunately she has a nasty habit of biting, and sometimes it's very random. She has gotten somewhat better, but it certainly wasn't the experience my daughter was looking forward to, from these mostly docile animals. She's not one that we show to guests or even handle that much. I suspect that's why she was for sale.

Our second BP was also "used" and I bought him from Craigslist and met the people at a gas station. Taking our chances, but the price was right, and they assured us that he was very docile and had never bitten anyone or even tried to. He was sold by an older teenager who was going away to college. He has turned out to be a delight, and makes up for our first one's nasty temper.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (09-18-2019),Bogertophis (09-18-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (09-19-2019)

Thanks
    Snakes aren't very "social" pets & greatly rely on instincts, but I believe their previous handling (along with whatever genetic predispositions they may have) can
    greatly influence how they react to future handling by new owners. Some snakes are more inclined to bite, but their early owners can make that worse or better,
    so when you get a 2nd hand snake, that's yet another "risk". BPs are assumed to be mellow (about handling), but some just aren't so good at this. Just like any
    other creature, including humans, it's both "nature" & "nurture", & sometimes there's only so much you can do to improve a "grumpy" snake. For sure, that's yet
    another reason some snakes are sold (or given away- as was the case with a BCI I had for many years- I got her as a yearling & very prolific biter). It's one thing
    if you welcome the challenge...quite another if it's not anticipated.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TopazEye View Post
    Adults are typically more expensive and its not as easy to find specific morphs.
    If someone is looking for a specific morph than your right they should probably look for a juvenile. The adult ones would be more for someone just looking for a normal pet or inexpensive one.

I stated some advantages but I guess there's cons as well. An ill tempered snake from a rough up bringing
    or neglect is a definite con possibility as some have stated.
    Last edited by ballpythonsrock2; 09-18-2019 at 11:41 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ballpythonsrock2 For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (09-19-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (09-19-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ballpythonsrock2 View Post
    ... An ill tempered snake from a rough up bringing or neglect is a definite con possibility...
    We should always consider that a 'grumpy' snake might also be in some sort of pain (like, when handled). They're so stoic, it's hard to tell, but something to consider.
    They can have back injuries, for example, caused by improper handling (like from being dropped or snake grab tongs), but how many think to get an X-ray to find out?

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (09-19-2019),Gocntry (09-19-2019)