Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,108

0 members and 3,108 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

New substrate isse

Ok guys so I switched over to reptichip tonight because I was having some real difficulties with Aspen and my humidity levels were dropping under 50% even with spraying multiple times a day. Now, I knew there was going to be some adjustment period and I'd probably be running high for a day or so but I'm concerned with my guys behavior. He is perching himself up over his hide (very unlike him) and refuses to be on the substrate. All other husbandry is on point ( 91 on hot side 79-81 on cool side, multiple hides) this is just concerning as it's very unusual behavior and I'm wondering what I should do here.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Give him time to adjust, sounds like he's just "weirded out" by the sudden change.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: New substrate isse

That's kind of what I figured just freaked me out, I checked on him this morning and he was still posted up looks like he hasn't gone into any of his hides since the change and when I was changing his water out he was defensively striking at me. Very unhappy guy right now!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I agree the substrate is just "different" to him and he's adjusting. I think he'll settle in time.

I would also like to add that 91 may be a bit high. A lot of caresheets will suggest 91, but they're often old and outdated. I think you'll find most experienced keepers and breeders stay below 90 and aim for 88-89.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-17-2019),Wizenshark (09-17-2019)

Thanks

Ok thanks craig! I'll definitely adjust when I get home and drop that down a bit. I have fans on and I'm trying to circulate as much air as possible in there to get the humidity back down to an acceptable level. What do you guys think about just having aspen under his hides? Worth it or no?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wizenshark For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-17-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wizenshark View Post
    Ok thanks craig! I'll definitely adjust when I get home and drop that down a bit. I have fans on and I'm trying to circulate as much air as possible in there to get the humidity back down to an acceptable level. What do you guys think about just having aspen under his hides? Worth it or no?
    I've never tried that, or known anyone that has. I can't see any harm in trying.
    You may want to swap it out come shed time though. Since humid hides are often offered, the Aspen hide would end up being the exact opposite. So that's something to consider.
    In my experience, the snakes usually push the majority, if not all, of their substrate outside their hides. So there would be no benefit for me trying it. But all animals are different, so it just might do the trick for you.

I'll be interested in the results if you do try.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-17-2019)