Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,939

2 members and 2,937 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Registered User ImBadAtUsernames's Avatar
    Thanks

BP got hurt when feeding should I take him to the vet?

I fed him a live mouse (which I will never do again) and he ate it fine. I noticed he kinda flinched once and was making sure he had it fine. I though he ate the mouse easily but today I saw him poking his head out with dried blood on his neck. I’m guessing the mouse scratched him. Should I take him to the vet or see how he does? It was a small mouse. Sorry the pictures are really bad I didn’t want to disturb him more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    That doesn't look like a scratch (& snake scales are pretty tough), it looks more like a bite to me, but cannot tell how deep (or serious) from online photos.

Clean it up with a bit of water, dry then apply some antiseptic ointment that is safe for snakes: Betadine (povidone-iodine), a bit of Neosporin (never the pain relief
    version), Vetericyn (better option, water based topical made for snake use- Petco carries it). If it's bleeding alot or seems to get infected, by all means see the vet.
    But for a small wound without complication, I'd treat at home for right now, as I've described above.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-17-2019),ImBadAtUsernames (09-17-2019),Stewart_Reptiles (09-16-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: BP got hurt when feeding should I take him to the vet?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That doesn't look like a scratch (& snake scales are pretty tough), it looks more like a bite to me, but cannot tell how deep (or serious) from online photos.

Clean it up with a bit of water, dry then apply some antiseptic ointment that is safe for snakes: Betadine (povidone-iodine), a bit of Neosporin (never the pain relief
    version), Vetericyn (better option, water based topical made for snake use- Petco carries it). If it's bleeding alot or seems to get infected, by all means see the vet.
    But for a small wound without complication, I'd treat at home for right now, as I've described above.
    This plus use paper towel as substrate for a while to avoid any debris in the wound.

Your main thing to watch out for in the next few months because it may not happen now it abscess which at that point if one develops in a month or two would require to be seen by a vet (would need to be drained and antibiotic would need to be administered as well)
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-17-2019),Craiga 01453 (09-17-2019),ImBadAtUsernames (09-17-2019),sur3fir3 (09-17-2019),Timelugia (09-17-2019)