Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,237

0 members and 1,237 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Question Best time to handle baby BP?? (New Owner)

Hi so as you all know BPs tend to hide during the day and only really come out at night. I got my BP 2 weeks ago and was wondering when the best time to handle him is. The very few times I had to take him out of his enclosure during the day to so that I could make some changes to it, I lifted up his hide and picked him up and he was very hissy. Not happy about it at all which I understand because I was clearly disturbing him! I want to get him used to handling and would prefer to do it during the day since he tends to come out when I'm going to sleep. But is it better to do it at night instead when he's already active? Or will regular handling during the day make him get used to it and he won't be hissy when I take his hide off and take him out? I just want him to get used to it without stressing him out too much. Also I know that I shouldn't mess with him after feeding so no need to explain that. Thank you!
    Last edited by chloe1110; 09-16-2019 at 03:31 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Re: Best time to handle baby BP?? (New Owner)

I try not to handle new arrivals until they've eaten 2-3 times for me. Once they're fairly acclimated to their new environment, and eating consistently, I pretty much handle them whenever it's convenient for me. I don't know think there's a particular time of day that's better for handling. Best wishes with your new BP.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-17-2019),dr del (09-17-2019),wnateg (09-16-2019)

Thanks
    I used to handle my ball python during the day when he was a baby as it was most convenient for me. Like stated above let your new ball python get used to his environment first and let it have a few meals first. Just keep in mind if you do handle during the day your ball python will likely be looking for a nice warm cozy spot to sleep. I used to sit on a chair with him with a blanket over it so he can't go in the chair, they can be sneaky though so you gotta watch. Crowley my ball python has gone in many couches and chairs in his life. Anyway I have a blanket for over the chair and one for me and the snake so he can snuggle with me under the blanket where it's dark and cozy. He used to sleep in my hands when he was small enough. When he quickly outgrew that he would sleep either on my lap or my chest underneath the blanket.

I'd start with about 20-30 minutes of handling every few days at first till your ball python gets used to being with humans and realizes you aren't a predator, then gradually go up from there if you'd like. He may start off being hissy and shy at first while he learns that humans aren't scary but should settle down for sure.