Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,101

2 members and 3,099 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worms

Thanks

Worms

Cleaning cages Friday night after work, had the nice aroma coming from my males cage. Starting cleaning up his poo and noticed that it had what appeared to be worms. Looked like little moving rice kernels. The poo was solid and he has never had diarrhea, has been eating great. He does has an appointment Friday morning with the vet.

I have treated dogs for worms and treated cats for worms and not sure what to expect from this.

Has anyone had to treat their snake?

How hard is it to actually get the dewormer in their mouth?

I currently feed pre-kill, has anyone ever had a snake get worms from frozen?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If I know I'm going Crazy,I must not be Insane!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    If you're "currently" feeding pre-killed, that means he's had worms for a long time...he had to get them from LIVE food. Poor snake! Worms rob the snake's body
    of much-needed nutrients.

I have treated wild-caught snakes for worms before...not that hard, meds are pretty safe AND effective. Your vet can dose or show you how it's done- I've used
    oral meds for this- not sure if there's any sort of injectable treatment now or not for snakes- as long as your vet has experience with snakes? -I hope!
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-16-2019 at 11:30 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: Worms

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    If you're "currently" feeding pre-killed, that means he's had worms for a long time...he had to get them from LIVE food. Poor snake! Worms rob the snake's body
    of much-needed nutrients.

I have treated wild-caught snakes for worms before...not that hard, meds are pretty safe AND effective. Your vet can dose or show you how it's done- I've used
    oral meds for this- not sure if there's any sort of injectable treatment now or not for snakes- as long as your vet has experience with snakes? -I hope!
    He has ate pre killed for the last year, I buy live rats and gas them before feeding. They have been expired maybe 3-4 minutes before I feed. He was eating frozen then went off food for about a month and I finally got him to eat a pre kill and he hasn’t missed a meal since. I have not notice anything any he’s poo until this last clean up.

I only have 1 vet in my area that deals with snakes, I hope that he does right and fixes my boy up.

After This past Saturday I am not feeding anymore pre kill anymore. when I picked up rats, I was a little upset in the conditions of their rat racks. I know they are “food” for other animals but the rats deserve to have a good quality of life up until the time they are fed off.

If I know I'm going Crazy,I must not be Insane!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    If you dont freeze them first he can get the worms from PreKilled.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mb80 View Post
    He has ate pre killed for the last year, I buy live rats and gas them before feeding. They have been expired maybe 3-4 minutes before I feed. He was eating frozen then went off food for about a month and I finally got him to eat a pre kill and he hasn’t missed a meal since. I have not notice anything any he’s poo until this last clean up.

I only have 1 vet in my area that deals with snakes, I hope that he does right and fixes my boy up.

After This past Saturday I am not feeding anymore pre kill anymore. when I picked up rats, I was a little upset in the conditions of their rat racks. I know they are “food” for other animals but the rats deserve to have a good quality of life up until the time they are fed off.

Ugh, I know what you mean about how some places raise & keep their rats. It sounds to me like the 3-4 minutes required for the rats to expire was NOT long enough for
    their "internal guests" to do the same, & that's how your snake got worms. Poor snake...(not to mention their other customers!)

When you say you will no longer be feeding pre-killed any longer, I HOPE you don't mean you're switching to live? I HOPE you mean you'll be using frozen-thawed???
    And with f/t, no parasites can survive, so it's much safer, though your snake may balk at the difference in taste & texture...I hope he'll accept them again.

I had pet rats long before I ever got into snakes...but sadly, not every source raises rats (& other rodents) to the same standard of health & cleanliness. I know that from
    dealing with pet stores in the past when I supplied them with rodents & what they told me about their previous suppliers ...the quality difference can usually be seen in
    the rodents too, if you know what to look for. And as far as our snakes go, it's "garbage in, garbage out"...even if you don't breed, you want healthy food for your pet.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Mb80 (09-19-2019)

Thanks
    Aww, poor little guy had unwanted guests eating all his nutrients, good luck with the de-worming, hope all goes well for your little guy.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

Mb80 (09-19-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    You can send poo off to be tested for what type of what is in the snake. For treating worms it is easy. You load the F/T rodent with the correct meds for what ever type of parasites it has. Now, without having the poo tested your just guessing. Unless the poo was fresh. As the "worms" you saw "could" be larva from the cage, house or something else.

Google for a Vet or lab to send the sample to. Heck, a dog an cat Vet can test it also.

Good luck!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-17-2019),Mb80 (09-19-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Maybe a bit of a stupid question, is it possible to inject the Deworming Meds into the F/T Prey item, for example, after having defrosted and just before feeding, injecting the dosage into the prey items belly area, would it work, in that the snake has ingested the Meds.
    Ball Pythons
    1.0 Pinstripe
    1.0 Coral Glow Pastel
    1.0 Ginger Enchi
    1.0 Spectre
    1.0 BlackPastel Yellowbelly
    1.0 Albino
    1.0 Fire
    1.0 Enchi Mojave
    1.0 Enchi
    1.0 Calico
    1.0 Leopard
    0.1 Mojave Spider
    0.1 Butter
    0.2 Fire
    0.1 Yellow Belly
    0.2 Pastel
    0.3 Normal
    0.1 Bumblebee
    0.1 Mystic
    0.1 Enchi
    0.1 Pinstripe 66% het Pied
    0.1 Leopard

Other Pythons
    1.0 Carpet Pythons

BOAS
    1.1 Dumerils
    2.2 Red Tail

Corns
    1.2 Amel

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reptilius For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-18-2019),Mb80 (09-19-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reptilius View Post
    Maybe a bit of a stupid question, is it possible to inject the Deworming Meds into the F/T Prey item, for example, after having defrosted and just before feeding, injecting the dosage into the prey items belly area, would it work, in that the snake has ingested the Meds.
    Yup, that's how I do it. Easy, the snake doesn't have to know, lol...& you can use the oral cavity if there's room enough...that way you don't have to
    inject & have body fluids leaking that may or may not dissuade the snake from eating. It's even easier! Use a tool (like a screwdriver or something to pry
    open the rodent's mouth...best not to use fingers, to avoid getting "bit" from a dead rodent, lol.)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-18-2019 at 10:37 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Mb80 (09-19-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts
    Just throwing it out there that it might not actually be worms but could be larvae from flies (maggots) eating the poo. You mentioned they look like little pieces of rice.
    Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast