Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 514

1 members and 513 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts

Re: "Milagro" (translation "miracle")

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    bogie...

this is absolutely insane. and the fact you haven't shared a single picture is honestly on par with the acts of war criminals.

since so many seemed to have developed and survived, is it weird i lean a little more towards the world's oldest retained sperm?

but that wouldn't explain all the other clutches you didn't incubate for years would it? and the one you do JUST SO HAPPENS to produce viable offspring? is there any research on how long retained sperm can be...good?

or is she just the second coming of the Virgin Mary? hahaha.
    When things slow down maybe someday I'll try to get into some photography... lol. At the moment I have no way to take, much less share photos.

I just don't know, as far as "how & why they're here"? A recent article posted about a captive solo anaconda that had several offspring was verified to be parthenogenesis, but either way I'm pretty impressed with these. I'd like to find out eventually, but for now, I'm just sharing their story.

As far as "so many that developed & survived" there were SO many eggs produced- I swear these yellow (Florida mix) rat snakes are part-chickens? Some developed but didn't make it out of eggs for various reasons, some of those were more obvious than others as to defects, & that happens either way too, partho or not.

By posting here, I'm hoping that more members post about the longest viable retained sperm they've seen. IF that's what this is, the longest I've seen previously was 5 years-a corn snake I had mated only once but produced viable hatchlings for 5 years...I truly kept looking for the 'off' switch.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-09-2019 at 04:00 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (11-09-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    IF that's what this is, the longest I've seen previously was 5 years-a corn snake I had mated only once but produced viable hatchlings for 5 years...I truly kept looking for the 'off' switch.
    FIVE. YEARS. WHAAAAAAAAT. i just...how exactly does she (any female) keep the sperm viable??

snakes are absolutley amazing.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    FIVE. YEARS. WHAAAAAAAAT. i just...how exactly does she (any female) keep the sperm viable??

snakes are absolutley amazing.
    I have no idea, but I'm awfully glad that doesn't happen with humans, aren't you? Can you imagine? Mate once & babies for years...? We'd be a LOT more careful!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (11-09-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I have no idea, but I'm awfully glad that doesn't happen with humans, aren't you? Can you imagine? Mate once & babies for years...? We'd be a LOT more careful!
    ...my comments are just entirely inappropriate. LOL. shoutout to bc!
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-09-2019)

Thanks
    I know how badly you want to put a "face" to these little snakes of mine...this is from MorphMarket, NOT one of mine, but 2 of mine look very similar to this hatchling
    Everglades rat snake (the whole family, including grey, black & yellow rat snakes) have a similar blotch pattern in fairly dull coloration (muddy grays & light browns) &
    then gradually their true colors come in, while the blotches fade and some have parallel stripes also. Of my 3, Wundertat is the oddball, much lighter in color, so I'm
    curious to see how she turns out. Link to MM photo- https://www.morphmarket.com/us/c/rep...-snakes/271436

The reason I just call my adult rat snakes "Florida" is that I believe them to be a c/b blend of Yellow & Gulf Hammock, with possibly Everglades thrown in, and maybe
    something else? The guy I got them from was in a panic to re-home them as he'd lost his teaching job in Florida & then his home & was relocating to New York for a
    job. He encouraged me to breed them to see what turned out, so I assume he had been doing some crossing. My adult females look like yellow x gulf hammock, but
    only one adult male does, the other appears to have some Everglades, since he has some orange mixed with his yellows, & far less of the typical markings.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Gocntry (11-10-2019)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567