Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,848

2 members and 2,846 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: "Milagro" (translation "miracle")

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    LOL! Her new name is Wundertat (miracle in German) or Wunder for short...

I still can hardly believe this, but I'm excited! She's personable, like Milagro is, & I saw her exploring her humid hide (moss-filled) too. Snakes that don't feel good or have pain & trouble moving around don't do that stuff.

So I guess #3 might as well be Mirikel (miracle in Hebrew), for future reference.
    Good names for the new pair!!

The names for the three fit perfectly.

Here's to a long and healthy life for all 3 !!!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-07-2019),dakski (11-08-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Thank you, I really appreciate it!
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    This whole clutch was just full of surprises, huh?
    Great to hear they're all doing well now, and I hope the third develops more of an appetite soon. I love all the names too.
    0.1 Speckled Kingsnake

5. The Following User Says Thank You to aurum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-07-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aurum View Post
    This whole clutch was just full of surprises, huh?
    Great to hear they're all doing well now, and I hope the third develops more of an appetite soon. I love all the names too.
    Thank you...and what an understatement...yes, this is quite a bit more than I was expecting.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

aurum (11-08-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Love the name - not that any of my animals have Hebrew names (Behira, Yafe, Shayna - yiddish, but close).

Wow, this clutch is the gift that keeps giving! Wishing them all well on their journey towards a long and happy life with a great Snarent!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-08-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Love the name - not that any of my animals have Hebrew names (Behira, Yafe, Shayna - yiddish, but close).

Wow, this clutch is the gift that keeps giving! Wishing them all well on their journey towards a long and happy life with a great Snarent!
    Thanks dakski...I've been keeping snakes for a long time now, and I honestly haven't wanted to add any more, I haven't even been tempted to, for quite some time.
    So of course, they just keep showing up!? And they're so stinking cute too! It's just not fair... You wait, next year when the adult females lay all those eggs again,
    I'm shipping them to YOU!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (11-08-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Thanks dakski...I've been keeping snakes for a long time now, and I honestly haven't wanted to add any more, I haven't even been tempted to, for quite some time.
    So of course, they just keep showing up!? And they're so stinking cute too! It's just not fair... You wait, next year when the adult females lay all those eggs again,
    I'm shipping them to YOU!
    I am all for it! Did you check with Katie though? She might not be your friend for long if that happens!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-08-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    I am all for it! Did you check with Katie though? She might not be your friend for long if that happens!
    Just tell her you found & rescued these eggs under a tree that was about to be cut down... I won't tell.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (11-08-2019)

Thanks

"The Pinkie Report"

I had been waiting for my mice to deliver some new pinkies but last night I saw Mirikel finally out of hiding since her shed a few days ago, & she was drinking water
    & she looked hungry, so I thawed 2 pinkies, since I was also being watched by Milagro.

Mirikel had previously been offered a f/t pink but left it...but that was "then". She took her first pinkie late last night, after a little "tease" as I'd done with Milagro.
    This is a technique that works well with rat snakes, but not something you'd do with shyer snakes like BPs, & it's not something I'll need to continue doing either...it just
    starts their learning process: as I approached & uncovered where she was hiding, she was coiling & striking with open mouth in self-defense. Offering the pinkie on
    tongs, it took a number of hits before it dawned on her that it tasted pretty good & maybe it was edible? Finally she hung on, I remained motionless & down it went!

The use of this technique is only temporary: what begins as a defensive bite teaches the snake what is good to eat by teasing it until it tastes the pinkie. The first time
    I offered her a pinkie without much tease & left it overnight, but she didn't eat it; she was pretty shy & may not have even come out of her hide to know it was there,
    or if she did, she wasn't hungry enough yet. Had I left it IN her hide, she might had eaten it, but doing so would have stressed her more than I wanted to at the time
    due to the way her home is set up with lots of 'cover'. Rat snakes are looking for prey that moves, & if live pinks are unavailable for their first meal, this usually works.

The other pinkie was chowed down by a happy Milagro, who openly ate from the tongs for the 1st time last night. This was her 13th meal, & she's doing great- she's
    visibly longer now too, & last night's solo pinkie was a small meal for her...she's taken 2 at a time previously. It's fun to watch a tiny rat snake learn that my presence
    is nothing to fear & that I sometimes bring goodies... She's calmer when handled now too, off to a great start.

Wundertat missed the party last night: not quite due for a second meal and due for a check-up as well, I wanted to wait another day or so to focus on her. Checking
    her home just now, I see that she had no trouble digesting her first pinkie...the results are in, or should I say, out? I'm so curious to check on her, but not about
    to rush her, or any of them. I've had lots of practice raising rat & corn snakes...patience is key.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

aurum (11-09-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

bogie...

this is absolutely insane. and the fact you haven't shared a single picture is honestly on par with the acts of war criminals.

since so many seemed to have developed and survived, is it weird i lean a little more towards the world's oldest retained sperm?

but that wouldn't explain all the other clutches you didn't incubate for years would it? and the one you do JUST SO HAPPENS to produce viable offspring? is there any research on how long retained sperm can be...good?

or is she just the second coming of the Virgin Mary? hahaha.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-09-2019),richardhind1972 (11-09-2019)

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast