Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,086

1 members and 3,085 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    BPnet Veteran NewmanLovesSnakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Changing Hearts and Minds

I sent my mom a picture of my Rosy I got yesterday and she called me just to tell me it was a pretty snake. I was very surprised to hear here say that because my entire life she has hated snakes. When I got my BP I introduced her into holding him and helping me when I cleaned his enclosure. She absolutely wanted noting to do with him till I ensured her he would most likely not move. After a few times holding him all of her fear left and she started to not mind him being around. It’s cool to see she’s no longer afraid of normal captive snakes. I posted this to see if anyone else has any stories of anyone they have converted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NewmanLovesSnakes For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-14-2019),Luvyna (09-14-2019),Reinz (09-16-2019),richardhind1972 (09-14-2019),Werewolves (09-14-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Too many stories to count, really. I've done programs with my snakes for many years...now just the "meet & greet" kind, it's easier. You'd be surprised at how
    many times people of all ages, even senior adults, meet one of my snakes & end up holding it & smiling & saying things like "it's so pretty!" or "I never expected
    to like touching, much less holding a snake!?" & "this is the LAST thing I ever thought I'd like!" Many times just seeing a regular person holding a calm & pretty
    snake gets people curious and open-minded...especially when they can watch others get close for a while before they decide the level of their own "bravery".
    The thing is, they really expect to see a snake being "aggressive", hard to hold, & trying to bite, but the real deal just messes with their minds...all my snakes are
    pacifists, very tolerant of strange hands.

Great job with your mom, Newman. You're off to a fine start. Think what a difference we can make for snake conservation if we each change a few more minds?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (09-14-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (09-14-2019),richardhind1972 (09-14-2019)

Thanks
    I'm halfway there with my parents. While I was growing up, my parents would kill any snake that was found on our property and if I tried to teach them how to identify the venomous ones in our area, my mother would just get upset at me for trying to show them pictures of snakes. I started getting into the hobby once I moved out, and at first my mother refused to even go into the room where their cages are when she visited. But after a while of me talking about my pets and their personalities, we reached the point where she will at least look at my snakes and she joined a local snake identification group on Facebook so that she could have my father start relocating them instead of killing them. And recently, there was a "scare" at her workplace where a rat snake was spotted outside and people were clamoring for maintenance to track it down and kill it, and she stood up during the meeting to defend it and argue that it should be left alone as rodent control.

She still hasn't held any snakes, but she did once admit that kingsnakes are gorgeous and she might be willing to hold one of those, and I just picked up a cali king today so we'll see what happens there.. My father hasn't held one either, but he at least reached out and stroked one of mine - and then exclaimed that she wasn't as slimy and rough as he had expected, of course.

So, it's slow going but it's progress. At least they're more appreciative and don't murder every harmless snake they find, and that respect is really all that matters.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Werewolves For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-14-2019),Luvyna (09-14-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (09-14-2019),richardhind1972 (09-14-2019)

Thanks
    I got both my parents to like Crowley, he is just so friendly and when you have no idea how captive snakes really are you don't expect it. My dad likes him because he's nice and quiet (my parents had a macaw for 15 years, I know have him, he's loud). My mom was unsure at first but she was the one to let me adopt him in the first place as I was still living at home when I got him. She slowly came to trust him but still has a hard time with handling especially now that he's pretty big. She still loves him very much and is like a grandson to her. My parents were the ones who got Crowley his 60 gallon tank last year, they made me and my little Crowley so happy, they know I won't be having real kids so Crowley is their grandson and is treated as such.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-14-2019),Luvyna (09-14-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (09-14-2019)

BPnet Veteran NewmanLovesSnakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Changing Hearts and Minds

Quote Originally Posted by Valyndris View Post
    I got both my parents to like Crowley, he is just so friendly and when you have no idea how captive snakes really are you don't expect it. My dad likes him because he's nice and quiet (my parents had a macaw for 15 years, I know have him, he's loud). My mom was unsure at first but she was the one to let me adopt him in the first place as I was still living at home when I got him. She slowly came to trust him but still has a hard time with handling especially now that he's pretty big. She still loves him very much and is like a grandson to her. My parents were the ones who got Crowley his 60 gallon tank last year, they made me and my little Crowley so happy, they know I won't be having real kids so Crowley is their grandson and is treated as such.
    Crowley is one of my favorites on the forums too, I lucked out with my dad. He’s always been fascinated with snakes and that’s probably where I got my fascination from lol he would pick up almost anything. He even had a wild caught rattle snake back in the 80’s before he gave it away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk