Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,093

1 members and 3,092 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Do ball pythons have bad days?

I've had my ball python going on 2 months. He's 3 months old.
    He was nervous and hissy from the get-go.
    I've been slowly and patiently working with him. In the beginning, he would ball up, then slither quickly away from me.
    Now he will explore, occasionally he might ball up but he won't hide his head. He will occasionally hiss at me initially taking him out, occasionally he won't. He's also occasionally been very very sweet to me.

Today though, he was extremely hissy and jumpy. And I don't think he's turning blue either?
    But every time he hisses at me, it breaks my heart a little.
    Will his timidness ever go away?

My baby hognose on the other hand, very chill from day 1.

Oh also will add he's a good eater, husbandry is all on point too.
    Last edited by siwueofk; 09-13-2019 at 03:38 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Remember how big & scary we are to a little snake, & that in the wild, the only thing that picks them up is a predator, so instinctively, he's afraid & doing his best
    to defend himself by scaring you away (lol). Be patient...some take longer than others to adapt...these are not domesticated animals, remember that. Captive-bred
    is not the same thing...snakes are "wild" animals that didn't choose to live with us. We at least owe them a good explanation along with plenty of "TLC".
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dr del (09-14-2019)

Thanks

Re: Do ball pythons have bad days?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Remember how big & scary we are to a little snake, & that in the wild, the only thing that picks them up is a predator, so instinctively, he's afraid & doing his best
    to defend himself by scaring you away (lol). Be patient...some take longer than others to adapt...these are not domesticated animals, remember that. Captive-bred
    is not the same thing...snakes are "wild" animals that didn't choose to live with us. We at least owe them a good explanation along with plenty of "TLC".
    True but I feel like today, we took 2 steps backwards???
    I haven't seen him this hissy or jumpy in over a month.

I'll add that I don't think he's turning blue, but I also don't know anything, and it has probably been over a month since his last shed.
    Last edited by siwueofk; 09-13-2019 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks

Re: Do ball pythons have bad days?

Quote Originally Posted by siwueofk View Post
    True but I feel like today, we took 2 steps backwards???
    I haven't seen him this hissy or jumpy in over a month.

I'll add that I don't think he's turning blue, but I also don't know anything, and it has probably been over a month since his last shed.
    Snakes appear able to "feel" a shed coming before we can see any evidence, so there's that possibility.

Also, he could have a tummy-ache, for example. Recently someone mentioned about their snake being suddenly moody, then right after that the snake did 4 big dumps-
    so apparently the snake had a "tummy ache" (& wanted to be left alone), since after that the snake went back to his own sweet self.

Something else might be going on: unfamiliar scents in the room maybe? other pets? kids teasing? things causing vibrations? (motors, bass/stereo, earthquakes, etc).

Don't take it personal...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-13-2019 at 04:04 PM.

Thanks
    Haha nothing husbandry-wise has changed. But he did leave a poop in his hide, yet he was still sleeping in it??? Ew???
    Yeah I'll just not bother him for a few days, hopefully we'll get back on track to him becoming a future sweet sweet little boi *fingers crossed so so so hard*

I was hoping he'd be chill from the start, but what do I know *shrugs*
    My hognose seems to be chill right from the getgo though tbh.

Also regarding the shed thing, can totally relate, as a female, I am crabby up to 2 weeks before menstruation lol.
    Last edited by siwueofk; 09-13-2019 at 04:12 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to siwueofk For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (09-13-2019)

Thanks
    T.M.I. Anyway, our snakes have their own personalities, some are chill, some not so much. Until they learn to talk, all we can do is guess, & assume
    they have a good reason for being moody.

As far as soiling their sleeping quarters, some snakes don't seem to pay much attention, perhaps because they are still adapted for living in the wild, so when they
    "go", they don't stick around. Or to it? (ew!) It's the same reason they don't kill live rodents in their enclosure if they aren't hungry...in the wild, they just move
    on, so they don't sense the danger from the rodent.

Thanks
    Well I'm a medical student, so it's not TMI for me lol, quite mild talk actually.

Boooo I was hoping so much for a chill calm snake.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts
    I don't know about the bad day thing but it's normal for their mood to be a little off from day to day. The biggest thing here is that he's young, almost all hatchlings are a little defensive for the first few months. Like said before, they think we are going to eat them, it's their natural instinct to be defensive so they have a better chance of survival. It doesn't take years to overcome that but some need more time than others but all of my hatchlings have become very chill with handling. I've had a couple sub adults that were still defensive when I received them but you could tell they were not handled much and all chilled out after getting handled regularly, they just need to build trust and once they figure out you're not going to harm them, they lose that defensive instinct. Just continue to regularly handle him and give it time, he'll chill out for you.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    the only thing i would add is that these are nocturnal animals and they would be active at dusk and night. so be sure he is awake before taking him out.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (09-14-2019),Bogertophis (09-14-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I've also had a couple of my young ones go through a grouchy phase when they went through a time of rapid growth. Maybe they were extra hungry, maybe I was feeding them large enough prey, but upping their food (bigger prey items and slightly more often) chilled my guys out. The one guy in particular would even strike at the tank side when I walked by (when I kept snakes in tanks). He out grew that though without any interventions besides a bit more food and some space.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast