Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,931

2 members and 2,929 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: Leonidas Rosy Boa Progression Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NewmanLovesSnakes View Post
    I’m thinking I have the overly shy snake. I’m going to feed him the way you suggested and just leave it if he does not take it. I only thaw them using cold water then warm water and I check temps with my heat gun. I don’t feed the mouse if it’s over 100 degrees. He’s going to get another try with the F/T tomorrow. I’m just worried he will starve to death. He’s eaten twice before I got him and he’s not had a meal in about 4 weeks. I’m going to get the live fuzzie Monday as my last resort. Should I be this worried about him not eating or should I chill?

I’m also not going to add or touch anything else but I could tell he needed a smaller hide so that’s why I swapped. I am still learning because this is my first time with this species but I don’t believe I’m doing too bad. I have learned that I really want to avoid getting another baby snake if I have another option lol the yearling last time was a way more pleasant experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree, your rosy is the shy type. (you'd know if he was a biter, LOL) Try later with tongs, but don't keep at it if it doesn't work...leave it & hope for the best...it might disappear by morning?

Your first plan for a yearling rosy was a much better choice...had you asked me first, I'd have suggested you wait until this one had eaten a few more times for the breeder, because 2 meals is better than nothing but not by a whole lot. Young rosies can be frustrating, especially without a source of live pinkies- and I know you thought you had it "covered". He's your snake now so all you can do now is think positive & keep trying...just like stubborn BPs, he should eventually decide to eat for you. I've raised LOTS of neonates & hatchlings over the years, of many kinds...some can really frustrate us but we also learn thru the process...you will too. Keep your motions subtle (when offering pinkie from tongs)...good luck! If he starts to take it, freeze in place until he has it down...motion by you can make him drop it & then refuse. No kidding...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-26-2019 at 07:41 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (09-26-2019)

BPnet Veteran NewmanLovesSnakes's Avatar
    Thanks

I really appreciate all your advise, I know I’ve said that a lot lol your reassurance is nice. I don’t feel as stressed now as I was a little while ago. I just don’t want little man to starve or nothing but I’ll do whatever it takes to get him good live or frozen.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NewmanLovesSnakes For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-26-2019)

Thanks
    Hey, how's it going?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I really appreciate all your advise, I know I’ve said that a lot lol your reassurance is nice. I don’t feel as stressed now as I was a little while ago. I just don’t want little man to starve or nothing but I’ll do whatever it takes to get him good live or frozen.

There is a guide listed on VMSHerp that talks about how to get babies eating. He has been breeding rosies, corns, etc for years. That guide is very detailed with step by step instructions. Sean at VMSHerp came highly recommended and my last baby snake came from him, so I have no complaints about how he does things because it worked. I would read that if your boa is still refusing meals to give you some ideas to try.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-05-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (10-05-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    There is a guide listed on VMSHerp that talks about how to get babies eating. He has been breeding rosies, corns, etc for years. That guide is very detailed with step by step instructions. Sean at VMSHerp came highly recommended and my last baby snake came from him, so I have no complaints about how he does things because it worked. I would read that if your boa is still refusing meals to give you some ideas to try.
    Here's the link, incidentally:
    https://www.vmsherp.com/LCNotEating.htm

I've fed lots of colubrid & rosy boa hatchlings myself for years, & I personally have never found "braining" to be of help, & besides, it's gross.
    As I've said many times, it's easier (& a little less gross) to just pinch-damage the nose of the feeder with a firm squeeze of the feeding tongs-
    this releases more scent in a similar way, & helps to steer the snake to swallow the head first (without too much damage that can make it harder).
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-05-2019 at 10:38 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (10-05-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    I’m going to give that guide a look over. Step by step is exactly what I need.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Here's the link, incidentally:
    https://www.vmsherp.com/LCNotEating.htm

I've fed lots of colubrid & rosy boa hatchlings myself for years, & I personally have never found "braining" to be of help, & besides, it's gross.
    As I've said many times, it's easier (& a little less gross) to just pinch-damage the nose of the feeder with a firm squeeze of the feeding tongs-
    this releases more scent in a similar way, & helps to steer the snake to swallow the head first (without too much damage that can make it harder).
    Thanks for posting that link, I’m going to look it over. I’m going to feed him again Monday, the pet store in the opposite direction has smaller mice.

Thanks
    Hey Newman...how's it going with your rosy? Did you get him to eat yet?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (10-20-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Hey Newman...how's it going with your rosy? Did you get him to eat yet?
    He’s doing ok, adjusting to his enclosure well. He has not eaten for me yet, I’m going to try and feed him a frozen thawed and cover up his enclosure with a towel to help him feel secure as suggested. I found a breeder that breeds rats, I’m waiting on her to have a litter of pinkies born so I can find one to feed him if he still won’t take a F/T. The breeder is only 45 minutes away which is nice.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to NewmanLovesSnakes For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-20-2019)

Thanks

He’s doing ok, adjusting to his enclosure well. He has not eaten for me yet, I’m going to try and feed him a frozen thawed and cover up his enclosure with a towel to help him feel secure as suggested. I found a breeder that breeds rats, I’m waiting on her to have a litter of pinkies born so I can find one to feed him if he still won’t take a F/T. The breeder is only 45 minutes away which is nice. Still a little stressed but I’ve had reassurance from a lot of people and things are looking up so it will be better. I had a lady who told me she could get me live pinky mice and she lived an hour away but when I went to call her back she never answered my phone call or texted me back and that was very very frustrating, it really ruined my entire day. But things are looking up.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast