Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,513

0 members and 1,513 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    Oh, I get it...you just need something more to worry about? I couldn't tell about the hides from that photo.

How to fix the hole in a plant pot for snake safety: glue a cork in the hole. (same with driftwood holes, if big enough for a snake to get stuck in)

Glad he's burrowing...all the rosies I've ever raised have loved doing that...they left tunnels like an ant farm. My little Milagro (FL rat snake) is
    fond of burrowing too, but she has damp moss instead...she's more of a moisture-loving kind of snake, & she's in there right now, in fact.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-22-2019 at 01:50 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (09-22-2019)

BPnet Veteran NewmanLovesSnakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Leonidas Rosy Boa Progression Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Oh, I get it...you just need something more to worry about? I couldn't tell about the hides from that photo.

How to fix the hole in a plant pot for snake safety: glue a cork in the hole. (same with driftwood holes, if big enough for a snake to get stuck in)

Glad he's burrowing...all the rosies I've ever raised have loved doing that...they left tunnels like an ant farm. My little Milagro (FL rat snake) is
    fond of burrowing too, but she has damp moss instead...she's more of a moisture-loving kind of snake, & she's in there right now, in fact.
    I’ll try the cork, the hole is definitely big enough for him to outgrow, so I would have to seal it.

I’m trying not to worry lol really the only thing that worries me is him not eating yet, I hope he eats when I go to try and feed him again. He will be on 3 weeks without a meal. I just figured I would ask if sleeping on top of the substrate was normal.

I almost got bit by a Florida rat snake in the store a couple months ago, he was one feisty baby lol the ant farm thing is cool, I’m starting to see tunnels as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NewmanLovesSnakes For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-22-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewmanLovesSnakes View Post
    I’ll try the cork, the hole is definitely big enough for him to outgrow, so I would have to seal it.

I’m trying not to worry lol really the only thing that worries me is him not eating yet, I hope he eats when I go to try and feed him again. He will be on 3 weeks without a meal. I just figured I would ask if sleeping on top of the substrate was normal.

I almost got bit by a Florida rat snake in the store a couple months ago, he was one feisty baby lol the ant farm thing is cool, I’m starting to see tunnels as well.

I hope he eats soon for you too.

As for "almost getting bit..." -I can assure you that you'd have recovered, lol. Typical behavior for many rat snakes, but Milagro is shy, not actively defensive, so far.
    Snakes have various personalities & are reacting to us as well.

"Ant farm"- that's why I've always liked Carefresh, & especially for neonate rosy boas...it sticks together pretty well without dampness. Cool that Leo is tunneling...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (09-22-2019)

Thanks

That Florida rat snake was not having it lol the lady at the pet store assured me it would not hurt me if I was bit. After 3 failed attempts I just left him alone lol it was clear he did not want to be messed with.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewmanLovesSnakes View Post
    That Florida rat snake was not having it lol the lady at the pet store assured me it would not hurt me if I was bit. After 3 failed attempts I just left him alone lol it was clear he did not want to be messed with.

Rat snakes tend to be more "opinionated" & less laid back, especially compared to BPs or rosy boas (with exceptions all around, of course). If they were vehicles, BPs &
    rosies would be golf carts & most rat snakes, while not dragsters, would at least have "a lot more under the hood". Pet stores are scary places and rat snakes will let you
    know they're willing to defend themselves, that's all.

The adult Florida rat snakes that I've had for years now will still act a little uppity when I first take them out, like for cage cleaning, but they calm right down & never bite.
    When I've taken them to public meet & greets, they've always behaved with perfect docility...because once I've picked them up at home (even briefly to pack them for the drive) they reliably "change gears" (not defensive or looking for food). First impressions can be deceiving.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-22-2019 at 10:37 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (09-23-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Newman... I wanted to check in on you and your new addition. Still having feeding issues? I'm sure you will get it sorted out.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sur3fir3 For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (09-23-2019)

Thanks

Leonidas Rosy Boa Progression Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sur3fir3 View Post
    Newman... I wanted to check in on you and your new addition. Still having feeding issues? I'm sure you will get it sorted out.
    I’ve not tried to feed him yet, I’m going to try and feed him another frozen thawed in a few days. Any tips? He looked interested in it last time for a little but ultimately no go. I appreciate you checking on me.

Last edited by NewmanLovesSnakes; 09-23-2019 at 07:38 PM.

Thanks

A little update on Leo, I added some more paper towel rolls and he seems to enjoy them. I’ve downsized one of his hides that was kind of big as suggested and pushed down the plastic one. I’m going to replace the other plastic one as soon as I find something I like. Also I talked to the assistant manager of the locally owned pet store I go to and she said she could help me find a runt fuzzie that should be small enough for Leo to eat. If he gets a fuzzie small enough for him to enjoy I will be pretty happy. I’m going to attempt another frozen thawed on Friday since it will have been about a week since last attempt. He’s temps and everything else is great. I also flattened the rolls after I took the picture because I almost forgot too lol

Last edited by NewmanLovesSnakes; 09-26-2019 at 02:33 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to NewmanLovesSnakes For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-26-2019)

Thanks
    You can also bury those cardboard rolls most of the way...think "in-ground tornado shelter", with only the doorway showing a little.

But all these changes would have been better before putting in the snake...right now, too many changes can stress him further, as can your presence in his home turf.

A live runt-fuzzy might be helpful, especially if he still won't take f/t pinkie, but keep trying f/t...you never know? I'm sure he's hungry. Thaw pinks in cool water, I do
    not recommend heating them for a rosy boa (they don't have/use heat pits the way BPs do), but do pinch-damage the nose slightly right before offering to release a
    little more scent. I would try offering it from tongs with a little wiggle (away from the snake, or perpendicular to him) first, but if he's uptight about that, I'd leave it
    on a plastic food-lid, either inside his hide or just outside the doorway, later evening & right before lights out. Don't keep checking him, because you might show up
    just at the moment he's getting brave enough to take it. Leave it & hope. Sometimes a snake will accept food when confined with it in some type of container, but
    that requires picking the snake up first, & that's generally bad for shy snakes...the stress being handled makes them forget about food. Rosy boas vary quite a bit, &
    some are strong feeders (& may also be biters! ) while others are shy & overly docile (harder to get going).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    You can also bury those cardboard rolls most of the way...think "in-ground tornado shelter", with only the doorway showing a little.

But all these changes would have been better before putting in the snake...right now, too many changes can stress him further, as can your presence in his home turf.

A live runt-fuzzy might be helpful, especially if he still won't take f/t pinkie, but keep trying f/t...you never know? I'm sure he's hungry. Thaw pinks in cool water, I do
    not recommend heating them for a rosy boa (they don't have/use heat pits the way BPs do), but do pinch-damage the nose slightly right before offering to release a
    little more scent. I would try offering it from tongs with a little wiggle (away from the snake, or perpendicular to him) first, but if he's uptight about that, I'd leave it
    on a plastic food-lid, either inside his hide or just outside the doorway, later evening & right before lights out. Don't keep checking him, because you might show up
    just at the moment he's getting brave enough to take it. Leave it & hope. Sometimes a snake will accept food when confined with it in some type of container, but
    that requires picking the snake up first, & that's generally bad for shy snakes...the stress being handled makes them forget about food. Rosy boas vary quite a bit, &
    some are strong feeders (& may also be biters! ) while others are shy & overly docile (harder to get going).
    I’m thinking I have the overly shy snake. I’m going to feed him the way you suggested and just leave it if he does not take it. I only thaw them using cold water then warm water and I check temps with my heat gun. I don’t feed the mouse if it’s over 100 degrees. He’s going to get another try with the F/T tomorrow. I’m just worried he will starve to death. He’s eaten twice before I got him and he’s not had a meal in about 4 weeks. I’m going to get the live fuzzie Monday as my last resort. Should I be this worried about him not eating or should I chill?

I’m also not going to add or touch anything else but I could tell he needed a smaller hide so that’s why I swapped. I am still learning because this is my first time with this species but I don’t believe I’m doing too bad. I have learned that I really want to avoid getting another baby snake if I have another option lol the yearling last time was a way more pleasant experience.

Last edited by NewmanLovesSnakes; 09-26-2019 at 07:27 PM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast