Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,851

0 members and 2,851 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Re: Leonidas Rosy Boa Progression Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NewmanLovesSnakes View Post
    Just and update, Leo did not eat last night even with the bowl trick...He pooped when I let him out of the bowl...
    "bowl trick"? "when I let him out of the bowl"???
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

BPnet Veteran NewmanLovesSnakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    "bowl trick"? "when I let him out of the bowl"???
    A lot of people have suggested to me to place him in a small bowl with the mouse for an hour and check on him afterwords. A lot of people do it with Rosy’s and apparently it works. This was after he did not take the F/T normally though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewmanLovesSnakes View Post
    A lot of people have suggested to me to place him in a small bowl with the mouse for an hour and check on him afterwords. A lot of people do it with Rosy’s and apparently it works. This was after he did not take the F/T normally though.

That's what I thought you meant...and that required "handling" the snake. I would not have advised that. What you described does work with some snakes, & some
    of the time...many pet stores put snakes in a bag with the pinky & clip it shut for a few hours or overnight. Is he using any of his hides yet? You might have been better
    off putting the pinky on a small jar lid (as a "plate") & leave that in his hide overnight, but without handling or restraining him. You said this "was after he did not take
    the F/T normally though"? So you tried offering to him from tongs, with a slight motion/jiggle, & that was a no-go? In any event I'd wait a week now before trying again.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (09-20-2019),richardhind1972 (09-20-2019)

Thanks

Leonidas Rosy Boa Progression Thread

That's what I thought you meant...and that required "handling" the snake. I would not have advised that. What you described does work with some snakes, & some
    of the time...many pet stores put snakes in a bag with the pinky & clip it shut for a few hours or overnight. Is he using any of his hides yet? You might have been better
    off putting the pinky on a small jar lid (as a "plate") & leave that in his hide overnight, but without handling or restraining him. You said this "was after he did not take
    the F/T normally though"? So you tried offering to him from tongs, with a slight motion/jiggle, & that was a no-go? In any event I'd wait a week now before trying again.
    I planned on waiting another week because I gave him water last night, I did use the tongs and wiggle him around and he looked for a little but did not take. I seriously thought he might, the temps where right and everything. I used my heat gun to check the mouse. He uses all of his hides and burrows most of the day. When I put him in the bowl it rather easy and did not require much more than a quick scoop. I’m trying to touch him as little as possible, I’ve not been opening his enclosure at all. I left the mouse by the hide on his flat rock for most of the night. I was up really early and after the mouse sitting in there for 5-6 hours I knew it was time to go ahead and take it out and give him water. I’ll try again a couple times with the f/t and if it does not work I’ll go the live route, I’m really hoping he will eat consistently on the f/t. Apparently the bowl trick is praised in the Rosy boy community, it did not work last time so I see no reason to try it again because apparently it’s a fail safe, huge quotes on “apparently.”

Last edited by NewmanLovesSnakes; 09-20-2019 at 09:31 PM.

Thanks
    You just need to be careful...this rosy only ate twice before you got him...that's not much for a rosy boa. When I raised & sold rosies, none of them ate fewer
    than 10 times & ALL were taking f/t easily before they left my house...that way I knew they were as well-started as could be & would be easy for a new owner.

If he's too shy to accept from tongs, I'd try leaving it on a jar lid (for a plate) inside his favorite hide -without touching him- and doing this before you turn lights
    out & go to bed that night. Check in the morning & hope it's gone. Yes, wait a week before trying again. He's never taken f/t so it's a tough sell at first. It also
    sounds like yours is a more docile type...the ones I raised were mostly "scrappy" (willing to bite) & they're easier to get feeding...an accidental bite gives them a
    taste of food & they end up deciding to eat whatever they bit. Unless it was me, lol...I always escaped.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (09-20-2019)

Thanks

You just need to be careful...this rosy only ate twice before you got him...that's not much for a rosy boa. When I raised & sold rosies, none of them ate fewer
    than 10 times & ALL were taking f/t easily before they left my house...that way I knew they were as well-started as could be & would be easy for a new owner.

If he's too shy to accept from tongs, I'd try leaving it on a jar lid (for a plate) inside his favorite hide -without touching him- and doing this before you turn lights
    out & go to bed that night. Check in the morning & hope it's gone. Yes, wait a week before trying again. He's never taken f/t so it's a tough sell at first. It also
    sounds like yours is a more docile type...the ones I raised were mostly "scrappy" (willing to bite) & they're easier to get feeding...an accidental bite gives them a
    taste of food & they end up deciding to eat whatever they bit. Unless it was me, lol...I always escaped.
    He’s very very docile for sure. When I first picked him up to take him out of his original shipping package he did not even care. Did not pay me a single bit of attention. I’m going to do exactly what you suggested on his next feeding. I honestly don’t think I like the baby snake phase very much and If he never takes frozen thawed I’m definitely going to wish I chose a different breeder. I’m sure everything will be ok though I’m positive and Leo is always out exploring like he should at the right times.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NewmanLovesSnakes For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-20-2019)

Thanks
    As he explores at night (this is typical for rosy boas), with any luck he'll come across the pinky you leave & decide it's edible...but I can't guarantee. The docile rosies
    really need their instincts to kick in...some can be difficult, but overall baby snakes are pretty cute...not as helpless as human babies, but still delicate. Think positive.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (09-21-2019)

Thanks

Might just me being a little worry-sum, but is it normal behavior for him to curl into a ball and just lay on top of the substrate? He’s in a very good spot of the house with natural light and low traffic, his temps and humidity is right too. It’s like 11:20am here so I know it’s like the middle of the night for him lol

I know the pictures not the best but he’s in the far right corner past the thermometer.

Thanks
    He obviously feels safe there (tank corners give "back pressure" too). Maybe if you fixed the hides like I suggested...?

I'm surprised he isn't burrowing, though he's probably never had anything to burrow into before now, so it may take a little time for
    that too...everything is new to him, & scary.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-22-2019 at 12:30 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (09-22-2019)

Thanks

He obviously feels safe there (tank corners give "back pressure" too). Maybe if you fixed the hides like I suggested...?

I'm surprised he isn't burrowing, though he's probably never had anything to burrow into before now, so it may take a little time for
    that too...everything is new to him, & scary.
    I pushed them way down like you suggested and he’s got paper towel rolls and a small resin rock as well, he’s got plenty of small hides and stuff to crawl into and play with, I’m trying to figure out a good way to seal this pot I have that I can use to replace the bigger black hide. It’s got a small hole at the top and that makes me uncomfortable because he could get stuck.

He’s actually been burrowing every day since I brought him home. It took him all of 10 minutes to figure out he could.

I figured he was where he felt comfortable since the room is dark enough, but since he’s been home with me that’s the first time he’s been out on top like that. I’ve seen him use both of his hides quite a bit before today so I figured it was safe to check.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to NewmanLovesSnakes For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-22-2019)

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast