Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,704

1 members and 2,703 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran NewmanLovesSnakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Leonidas Rosy Boa Progression Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'd wait a few days...snakes don't eat on schedule in real life, & a few more days will help assure that yours is settled in (less likely to regurge from stress) & hungry
    (less likely to refuse & waste food). But it's your snake...do what you want & deal with the consequences. He's not stopped moving because it's all a strange new
    world to him...he's looking for his familiar territory (sorry pal). Takes time for a snake to settle in...don't handle & give him hides...be patient.
    Yeah I’m not going to touch him, I pretty much just took him out and sat him in there. I’ll give it a few days before I feed him that’s honestly best for his benefit. He’s very cute and it’s cool to watch him slither on everything. I’m so happy I finally have a snake again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NewmanLovesSnakes For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-13-2019)

Thanks

I was wondering is it normal for him to be wondering around as much as he has been? He’s been coming out at odd times of the day, the over cast the last couple days might be confusing him though.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    He's still checking out this whole new "world" he's got now. Wouldn't worry about it, & I hope he's working up an appetite too. Baby snakes are gonna do what
    they do...my little rat snake was squished underneath her moss container today, her tail sticking out one side & her nose was out the other side, aiming for the
    exact spot where she last ate. Pretty smart...the moss container has corner legs about .25" or a bit less, just enough space for a tiny snake to be underneath.
    But earlier today she was perched up on top of the moss container, boldly watching me walk in the room. They usually get more active when they start getting
    hungry...it's a good thing. Mine last ate on the 13th, & the longest she's gone was 6 days between meals, most meals were 3-4 days apart- she's a good eater.
    I hope yours is too.

Just reviewed your earlier post about when he was last fed...you might try feeding him soon, I'm betting he'll eat, from what you've said.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-17-2019 at 07:36 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (09-17-2019)

Thanks

He's still checking out this whole new "world" he's got now. Wouldn't worry about it, & I hope he's working up an appetite too. Baby snakes are gonna do what
    they do...my little rat snake was squished underneath her moss container today, her tail sticking out one side & her nose was out the other side, aiming for the
    exact spot where she last ate. Pretty smart...the moss container has corner legs about .25" or a bit less, just enough space for a tiny snake to be underneath.
    But earlier today she was perched up on top of the moss container, boldly watching me walk in the room. They usually get more active when they start getting
    hungry...it's a good thing. Mine last ate on the 13th, & the longest she's gone was 6 days between meals, most meals were 3-4 days apart- she's a good eater.
    I hope yours is too.

Just reviewed your earlier post about when he was last fed...you might try feeding him soon, I'm betting he'll eat, from what you've said.
    I’m going to try and feed him Thursday, I hope he takes a frozen thawed, I’ve been researching for days some tricks to help out. I can’t find anywhere that sells live pinky’s around here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewmanLovesSnakes View Post
    I’m going to try and feed him Thursday, I hope he takes a frozen thawed, I’ve been researching for days some tricks to help out. I can’t find anywhere that sells live pinky’s around here.

Finger's crossed for ya...by then he'll be good & hungry. Pinks thaw fast, you can warm a bit but remember to pinch the nose hard w/ your tongs before offering too-
    that releases a bit more scent. Slight jiggle from tongs, going slightly away from him (not towards). You can do this!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (09-17-2019)

Thanks

Finger's crossed for ya...by then he'll be good & hungry. Pinks thaw fast, you can warm a bit but remember to pinch the nose hard w/ your tongs before offering too-
    that releases a bit more scent. Slight jiggle from tongs, going slightly away from him (not towards). You can do this!
    I’m going to make sure and do that is the kind of tips I was looking for lol do your Rosie’s eat F/T? What I was considering doing since he’s never had Frozen thawed was heating it up by his cage so he can smell it. I have read using the basking lamp to heat the mouse works wonders too, would you suggest me trying a little extra since he’s been started on live? My ball python would just eat them no problem, I would have to wiggle them but that was it.

Thanks

I’m going to make sure and do that is the kind of tips I was looking for lol do your Rosie’s eat F/T? What I was considering doing since he’s never had Frozen thawed was heating it up by his cage so he can smell it. I have read using the basking lamp to heat the mouse works wonders too, would you suggest me trying a little extra since he’s been started on live? My ball python would just eat them no problem, I would have to wiggle them but that was it.

Pinkies are very small...you'll be cooking them in no time & I wouldn't bother doing that (heating). I do not heat mice for my rosies (neither the one I still have nor for all
    the ones I've had in the past, various adults & over 50 neonates raised) & they don't have much scent (no hair yet), that's why I said to pinch the nose. Just use tongs, let him see a little wiggle & catch the scent enough to track it & let him catch it. Think positive. If this doesn't work, then try other things...otherwise you may be stuck doing all that stuff, LOL.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-17-2019 at 11:09 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (09-18-2019)

Thanks
    BTW, I ended up giving another pinky (f/t) to Milagro last night...I go by activity & appearance...she looked empty & was "looking for a meal". She's pretty shy yet
    (about taking from tongs) so she took the pinky while in her cardboard tube...left just outside, she came out to sniff it & then dragged it inside to swallow under cover.

FYI- This is typical behavior for many hatchlings, in case your rosy refuses to take from tongs. This had been 4 days since her previous meal, which was well-digested,
    & since she's so tiny there was no reason to make her wait. This is true no matter what kind of 'baby' snake you have. And yes, I "pinched" the nose of the pinky before
    offering...it helped her find the right place to grab, though she ate one backwards previously...I was impressed! But it took her a long time, lol. This is basically just giving
    a little help with your kid's homework. LOL
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-18-2019 at 11:02 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Thanks

BTW, I ended up giving another pinky (f/t) to Milagro last night...I go by activity & appearance...she looked empty & was "looking for a meal". She's pretty shy yet
    (about taking from tongs) so she took the pinky while in her cardboard tube...left just outside, she came out to sniff it & then dragged it inside to swallow under cover.

FYI- This is typical behavior for many hatchlings, in case your rosy refuses to take from tongs. This had been 4 days since her previous meal, which was well-digested,
    & since she's so tiny there was no reason to make her wait. This is true no matter what kind of 'baby' snake you have. And yes, I "pinched" the nose of the pinky before
    offering...it helped her find the right place to grab, though she ate one backwards previously...I was impressed! But it took her a long time, lol. This is basically just giving
    a little help with your kid's homework. LOL
    He’s definitely exhibiting hunting behavior so I’m sure he’s hungry, tomorrow I’m going to try and feed then update. I’m going to pinch the nose like you said and if that does not work I’ll place them in a bowl together. That made me laugh out loud I can’t imagine watching a snake eat backwards.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to NewmanLovesSnakes For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-18-2019)

Thanks

...That made me laugh out loud I can’t imagine watching a snake eat backwards...
    They're often too stubborn to spit it out & try again, so they keep working their jaws with the rodent's back legs sticking out either side... This was only a pinky so finally they just folded in, but it was slow-going for such a little hatchling to finally get it swallowed. Silly sneks! They sometimes mistakenly choose to grab the part with the most scent, which tends to be the rodents tail.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-18-2019 at 06:25 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast