Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,094

0 members and 2,094 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

View Poll Results: So...

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm gonna continue to vape.

9 24.32%
  • I plan to quit vaping.

2 5.41%
  • I will stop vaping until we get more info.

1 2.70%
  • I'm going back to smoking.

0 0%
  • I'm still smoking.

2 5.41%
  • It's all gross and i save so much money.

23 62.16%
  • I'm too young.

0 0%
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I should say a large percentage. The tobacco and alcohol companies should have to pay at least 30% of the health costs associated with smoking. I mean I know they do taxes, but those taxes are paid by the people. This needs to be paid by the tobacco companies.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts

Re: The Vaping Epidemic

Quote Originally Posted by sur3fir3 View Post
    I disagree to a point. I believe that if there is a substance that is sold that is addictive and harmful the people who sell it should be required by law to put aside a percentage of the sales to help deal with the fall out from selling said product.
    Nice idea but that's putting a great deal of trust in the ethics of those who are so profit-motivated that they truly don't care about your health. That's why we have class-
    action lawsuits. It's also very hard to predict the effects of many products...there's the human factor involved...like people who decide on alternative uses for otherwise
    useful products (-huffing paint comes to mind). Anyway it's a challenge to prove that the manufacturers & sellers "knew" what they actually knew...look how long "big
    tobacco" companies avoided paying settlements...or big oil companies whose research on air pollution was swept under their rug. Seems like the original purpose to vape
    was promoted (falsely) as a way for smokers to actually quit. Wink wink... It's not being used that way most of the time, it's just another addiction, thanks to the many
    promoters making it look "cool" & adding flavors (& who knows what?) to hook those younger & unwary...it's just a repeat of the cigarette playbook.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-17-2019 at 10:08 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Nice idea but that's putting a great deal of trust in the ethics of those who are so profit-motivated that they truly don't care about your health. That's why we have class-
    action lawsuits. It's also very hard to predict the effects of many products...there's the human factor involved...like people who decide on alternative uses for otherwise
    useful products (-huffing paint comes to mind). Anyway it's a challenge to prove that the manufacturers & sellers "knew" what they actually knew...look how long "big
    tobacco" companies avoided paying settlements...or big oil companies whose research on air pollution was swept under their rug. Seems like the original purpose to vape
    was promoted (falsely) as a way for smokers to actually quit. Wink wink... It's not being used that way most of the time, it's just another addiction, thanks to the many
    promoters making it look "cool" & adding flavors (& who knows what?) to hook those younger & unwary...it's just a repeat of the cigarette playbook.

Well I have to say it is easier to quit vaping than it is to quit smoking. I started with 2 packs a week. When I went to vaping I started on 12mg. Now I am down to 1.5mg I am hoping to switch to 0 mg soon. I have basically cut down my nicotine intake quite a bit. I am hoping that when I goto 0 that it will not be too big of a deal. Going from 12mg to 6mg was a bit rough, but 6 to 3 and 3 to 1.5 was easy. Everytime the government wants to ban something they find some way to say we have to ban it for the kids. Its ridiculous. If we wanted to do something for the kids we should make smoking age 21. I'm sorry but everytime the government feels like banning something they always use kids as an excuse. The person keeping kids away from vaping shouldn't be the government it should be the parents. Vaping is already 18+ what more do you want? Yea lets ban vaping so that a black market arises, and causes more damage than when it was legal. I just dont see the point in banning something for the kids when its already 18+.

Also I highly doubt vape companies went after kids. It would be stupid to do so after what happened to the tobacco companies.
    Last edited by sur3fir3; 09-17-2019 at 10:29 AM.

BPnet Veteran NewmanLovesSnakes's Avatar
    Thanks

I should say a large percentage. The tobacco and alcohol companies should have to pay at least 30% of the health costs associated with smoking. I mean I know they do taxes, but those taxes are paid by the people. This needs to be paid by the tobacco companies.
    I just wish they would stop selling alcohol and tobacco, I enjoy beer quite a bit but all of it does more harm than good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post

To Craig, & sur3fir3 & others in agreement with you:
    I'm all for being able to do what you want with your own body, as long as (A) what you do poses no risk to others -like when ppl drink & drive, and also (B) as long as I'm not paying for your health care as a tax-payer, at least not for any issues that are the result of self-inflicted health problems...is that fair? If you're on any sort of public health program (& I'm NOT asking- I'm just saying-) then I think that changes the equation, don't you? Our decisions all come with consequences, and if you deliberately use unhealthy addicting substances, you should be responsible for any damage that results from the poor choices you made...because the rest of us have rights too, yes?

And I wish I knew what the answer is...because we all want pain relief & enjoy pleasurable feelings...but we all don't get addicted as easily as some others do.
    Some people (myself included) can drink a half a glass of wine just now & then with dinner & never want more, & never drink to excess...but not everyone.
    You actually make a very good point that I hadn't considered. As adults who are given a choice, we should also be held accountable for what may come of our choices.
    That being said, I think in many cases it would be way too difficult to determine "who should be financially responsible" if medical treatment is needed.

Just to play devil's advocate here...
    If Joe Schmoe worked a job his whole that was physically demanding, should he be responsible for his medical bills because he knew his job may lead to knee, back, shoulder problems?

If Jane Doe loves skiing but is injured skiing should she be responsible?

If Jimmy ODs shooting dope should he be left to die because he has state health care?

I would have to say no...
    And I know I'm talking apples and oranges, but just trying to paint a picture with a broad brush to illustrate a point.

Edit to comment on a point by sur3fir3....

Abso-freaking-lutely parents should be held accountable if their kids are vaping. It's not governments job to baby-sit.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 09-17-2019 at 10:47 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-17-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (09-17-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Well I have to say it is easier to quit vaping than it is to quit smoking. I started with 2 packs a week. When I went to vaping I started on 12mg. Now I am down to 1.5mg I am hoping to switch to 0 mg soon. I have basically cut down my nicotine intake quite a bit. I am hoping that when I goto 0 that it will not be too big of a deal. Going from 12mg to 6mg was a bit rough, but 6 to 3 and 3 to 1.5 was easy. Everytime the government wants to ban something they find some way to say we have to ban it for the kids. Its ridiculous. If we wanted to do something for the kids we should make smoking age 21. I'm sorry but everytime the government feels like banning something they always use kids as an excuse. The person keeping kids away from vaping shouldn't be the government it should be the parents. Vaping is already 18+ what more do you want? Yea lets ban vaping so that a black market arises, and causes more damage than when it was legal. I just dont see the point in banning something for the kids when its already 18+.

Also I highly doubt vape companies went after kids. It would be stupid to do so after what happened to the tobacco companies.
    My wife went from smoking to vaping and it saved a ton of money. Instead of 3-4 dollars a day. It is one pack of cartridges ( Fuma ) less than 10 dollars and that lasts about 3 months. Do that math. She now hardly ever uses the vape now and is considering quitting all together.
    I don't think you will even be able to tell the difference going down from 1.5 to zero. Let us know I am curious to know. But I really don't think you will even feel it. But good luck. And the way you have done it I always thought would work and you have just about proved it to me, (one more step to go).
    My wife is only vaping once a day or some days none. The type Fuma she likes don't have taper down amounts. So she might quit altogether well see. But your way of quitting is better than hers. But as long as she quits I won't care because her health just can't take either anymore.

But after watching the cotton balls video about 30 days smoking verses vaping on You Tube anybody would have to see that vaping is better than smoking. But quitting is better than vaping and using vape should be about quitting. IMO

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ballpythonsrock2 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-17-2019),Craiga 01453 (09-17-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    You actually make a very good point that I hadn't considered. As adults who are given a choice, we should also be held accountable for what may come of our choices.
    That being said, I think in many cases it would be way too difficult to determine "who should be financially responsible" if medical treatment is needed.

Just to play devil's advocate here...
    If Joe Schmoe worked a job his whole that was physically demanding, should he be responsible for his medical bills because he knew his job may lead to knee, back, shoulder problems?

If Jane Doe loves skiing but is injured skiing should she be responsible?

If Jimmy ODs shooting dope should he be left to die because he has state health care?

I would have to say no...
    And I know I'm talking apples and oranges, but just trying to paint a picture with a broad brush to illustrate a point.

Edit to comment on a point by sur3fir3....

Abso-freaking-lutely parents should be held accountable if their kids are vaping. It's not governments job to baby-sit.
    I agree it's a "slippery slope" that no one really wants to see, but (theoretically) that's why we have a government to issue warnings & put limits that protect the health
    of our society...& NOT to be "in bed" with the big corporations* that are raking in the profits of their harmful products. (*And no, they didn't "learn" -not when huge
    profits are involved.) We all would love to be "free to do whatever we want" but it's just like with health care...many don't want to be required to "buy into" any plan if
    they don't want to (especially those who are younger and seem "healthy")...but then when -not "if"!- they get sick or have an accident, ALL the REST of us pay for their
    emergency room visits, etc...& that's just not fair either. That's like the friend who always shows up empty-handed to eat what everyone else brought to the potluck.

As adults, we all want our free choices, only we do have to consider what is good for our society as a whole too. Certainly those under-age are the responsibility of their
    parents, not the government or the rest of us.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-17-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (09-17-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Well, MA just put a ban in place, effective immediately. A four month ban. So freaking stupid. I can't vape at 40 years old, but at 18 you can go to war and die for your country...

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-24-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (09-24-2019)

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast