Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,749

1 members and 2,748 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

worried about RI

My ball python Mars has had an RI for at least a month and a half now. I took him to the vet in early August and she prescribed a course of Baytril injections. He seemed to be getting better but was still wheezing, plus I messed up one of the doses. So I picked up a second round, which he finished this week. Last week on feeding day he had finally managed to eat with out wheezing or gaping and breathing hard afterward. However, when I gave him the last shot, he drooled and bubbled a lot.
    Then, what really scared me was last night at feeding time. He constricted eagerly, as always, but once the head was down is throat he started wheezing very loudly. I could hear him from across the room. Then Mars began thrashing and trying to wipe the rodent out of his moth. I grabbed the feeding tongs to help him and tugged on a hind leg. He hid his head under a coil and while I was deciding whether to pick him up or not he started swallowing it. He finished eating and went under a hide and seems fine for now. What would you do? Should he just have a third round of Baytril? Or should I get him cultured? Also, how worried about the rest of my snakes should I be? I have been very careful about hand washing and sanitizer between him and the others and not sharing feeding tongs and such. But they are still in the same room and there is not much i can do about that.
    2.1 Ball Python (Mojave, Banana Pied, Normal)
    1.1 Corn Snake (Albino, Okeetee)
    2.1 Hognose (Extreme Red Albino, Normal, Red Conda)
    0.0.1 Blue Tongue Skink
    RIP Rosy Boa
    RIP Bearded Dragon

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    Baytril has been the go-to antibiotic for RI's for so long that many strains of bacteria are resistant to it. It's a bit late now for a culture so all you can really have the vet do is try another antibiotic such as fortaz, which hasn't been in use as long and targets a different spectrum of bacteria, in the hope that it does the trick.

Also my vet suggests not feeding while antibiotics are being administered, as they are very hard on the snake's liver and kidney function, so it's easier on the snake's system if it doesn't have to digest meals while receiving the meds.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-12-2019),Stewart_Reptiles (09-12-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: worried about RI

The vet should have got a culture to start with before prescribing any type of antibiotics.

So yes that is where I would start at this point, it is possible that during all that time you just were using the wrong antibiotic if you did not get a culture to start with.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-12-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I'd want a culture done for sure...and NOT another round of "more of the same". Totally agree on not feeding during treatment, or feed very lightly if you feel
    you must give something. Heavy meals should be avoided...many snakes won't even eat, they don't feel that well. Yours might regurge this, don't be shocked.

No way we can tell you what the risk to your other snakes is at this point...but a culture should help with that. Good luck! One sick snake is bad enough.
    BTW, how long have you had Mars?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-12-2019 at 05:51 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

I called the vet and have an appointment on Wednesday. I'm not sure if they will culture him or not, but if they only want to give him more Baytril Ill probably take somewhere else. I had no idea about not feeding on antibiotics I'll definitely stop doing that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    BTW, how long have you had Mars?
    I bought him in May so about 4 months and he's a year old. I'm quite curious to know if I bought him sick or if it's because he constricted one of his mice upside down in the water bowl and possibly inhaled water.
    0.0.1 Blue Tongue Skink
    RIP Rosy Boa
    RIP Bearded Dragon

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Smaug For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-16-2019)

Thanks
    If that was my snake, I'd call the vet's office now, ahead of the appointment, and ASK if they can & will do a culture this time. If you wait until you're there for the
    appointment, you'll owe them for it regardless of whether or not it's helpful.

I doubt the issue is "inhaled water"...I've had various snakes grab (f/t) prey & tumble into their water bowls to finish eating...never had a problem. It's far more likely that he came with the infection from previous exposure & it just took a while before it was obvious to you. The immune system of a snake is affected by stress (just like ours, presumably) so being in a new home didn't help...it just took time for the infection to be more visible.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-16-2019 at 01:18 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    If that was my snake, I'd call the vet's office now, ahead of the appointment, and ASK if they can & will do a culture this time. If you wait until you're there for the
    appointment, you'll owe them for it regardless of whether or not it's helpful.
    I would also ask what other antibiotics they have available for RI's. Most vets don't stock fortaz as it's expensive and has a short shelf life once reconstituted - it has to be drawn into syringes and frozen. My snakes have also been prescribed pip-taz but it's stupid expensive so again, most vets don't stock it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-16-2019)

Thanks

update

Well, Mars finished his month long course of ceftazedime last week. I didn't feed during the treatment, except I tossed him a frozen hopper once. He wasn't interested. So this week I gave him his usual live mouse and he took it right away. Then he spat it out and went back in his hide. He is still really mucus y and never comes out of his hide. I am going to try to get a live hopper for next week. I'm not sure what to do with him now. I'm considering surrendering him to a vet.
    0.0.1 Blue Tongue Skink
    RIP Rosy Boa
    RIP Bearded Dragon

Thanks

Re: update

Quote Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
    Well, Mars finished his month long course of ceftazedime last week. I didn't feed during the treatment, except I tossed him a frozen hopper once. He wasn't interested. So this week I gave him his usual live mouse and he took it right away. Then he spat it out and went back in his hide. He is still really mucus y and never comes out of his hide. I am going to try to get a live hopper for next week. I'm not sure what to do with him now. I'm considering surrendering him to a vet.
    Take this as opinionated because it's just my opinion, I do understand the frustration of a sick snake, and you have been dealing with this for a while now.

But

If the vet can't get it better in your care, I don't see where surrendering him to a/the vet is doing Mars any justice. If you want to rehome him
    maybe look for a rescue group in your area that can try to keep treating him. Maybe someone on the forum can direct you to a group?

Just a thought, Sorry I can't be of any help

Good luck with Mars

Thanks
    I've been lucky, not having to deal with a resistant infection like this... I can understand your frustration...did your vet give a prognosis? Maybe lab work would
    give you better information to work with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast