Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,848

0 members and 2,848 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Can a recessive trait be guaranteed if only from one parent? YB

So I am looking for a female for my boy and have been looking for a few months now. So let’s say I found one that is a great match for what I’m looking to produce. However the YB is one of the most important aspects to be in her as I am looking to make ivories.

So so the thing is: this female only has YB from one parent, and not from a super yellow belly.
    Seller says she is guaranteed YB. Is that possible? I thought YB was a hard genetic to distinguish and I see a lot of “possible” YB snakes for sale.

Please let me know your thoughts on the YB genetics, can you tell for certain that a snake is YB if it only came from one parents side just by looking at its pattern on belly?

Would be super grateful to receive and answer for someone that knows more

Thanks

Re: Can a recessive trait be guaranteed if only from one parent? YB

Quote Originally Posted by EmiLee View Post
    So I am looking for a female for my boy and have been looking for a few months now. So let’s say I found one that is a great match for what I’m looking to produce. However the YB is one of the most important aspects to be in her as I am looking to make ivories.

So so the thing is: this female only has YB from one parent, and not from a super yellow belly.
    Seller says she is guaranteed YB. Is that possible? I thought YB was a hard genetic to distinguish and I see a lot of “possible” YB snakes for sale.

Please let me know your thoughts on the YB genetics, can you tell for certain that a snake is YB if it only came from one parents side just by looking at its pattern on belly?

Yellow belly isn't a recessive Gene, so the offspring can absolutely have it, even if only one parent contains the yellow belly Gene. Hope this helps.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Emily_Doughty; 09-10-2019 at 12:09 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Emily_Doughty For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (09-10-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EmiLee View Post

YB is not a recessive gene

Yes it is easy to recognise a YB in a clutch VS a normal where it gets tricky and people list something as Poss YB is when other genes are involved, the more gene the harder it is to identify a snake at 100% especially when dealing with subtle morphs.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Yellowbelly isn't a recessive trait. Ivories are the super form of yellowbelly, not a visual recessive.
    what this means is if the animal has yellowbelly it will be a visual trait. If there is no visual sign of it, it simply doesnt have the gene.
    I would say if you dont know how to ID the gene you need to buy from a reputable breeder so that you don't have to question it. Next i would suggest you have a lot more learning and research to do.
    There are some great youtube videos about recognizing yellowbelly, and other morpghs for that matter.
    Hope that helps a bit

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Roux For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (09-10-2019)

Thanks
    Great thanks everyone! That clarify any questions that I had!k

Thanks

And yes I obviously do have a lot more to learn! Lol 😂 at least I’d have about two years to study before I’d attempted any breeding! Will check out some YouTube videos for sure. It’s tricky when looking at purchasing a female online though as quality of photos is everything