Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,895

2 members and 2,893 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: Proof that snakes can be affectionate

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    ... I trust all but 2 of my snakes but I don't let ANY of them near my face.
    That's OK, that's totally your call...we don't all have the same snakes, & even if we did, that doesn't mean they'd all have the same level of comfort with us.
    If your gut says don't do it, then totally listen to your gut. It's not for everybody, nor for every snake. It's just that we have this video with Crowley that brought
    up the subject. Some of us are more chummy with our snakes & other pets too than others may be, & I'm not suggesting that everyone should be...just trying to explain
    what some of us do & why.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Valyndris (09-12-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I think it is possible, but proof is a big word. Lack of evidence does not mean it does not exist though. Who really knows, domestication started with an animal who had genes to be potentially tame to people, and it builds from there. Some people say that cats are cold, aloof and not loyal pets, or that they are wild animals. Some even theorized that cats see us as big cats like their own, or that we are just a food source to them, or that we are there for them to own. Yea, that may all be true to some extent but I know my 3 cats love me the way a cat knows how to show affection to a person. I know that they care because they would show signs of stress when I went out of town, Gizmo would leave his favorite toy in front of my bedroom door, Happy loves to cuddle and sleep next to me, Freyja sitting on my lap over my husband's, or they would come running if I call their names. Even if someone was to tell me that they do all this for no reason other than I am there to meet their demands and needs (As one would expect from a cat slave, I mean, owner), so what. I don't need to proof anyone anything (I do have hundreds of pics but still...). With that said, I am not yet convinced that pet snakes can even reach that spectrum of affection and love. Not yet. At least, not enough to say there is actual proof. But that is what they initially said about pet cats decades ago.

P.S. yes, there are wild/feral cats out there. They are not the same as the ones you keep at home. Kittens that were not socialized properly by people within the first 3 months of their lives can gradually grow fearful of people, and eventually becoming feral, making taming afterwards very difficult to impossible the older they get. It takes so little effort and time to tame kittens when given the chance and make them into loving pets. So fostering baby kittens do more than just save lifes!
    Last edited by Cheesenugget; 09-11-2019 at 10:53 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-11-2019),Valyndris (09-12-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyndris View Post
    ...Snakes can however hear some things as they hear vibrations from the ground through their scales, correct me if I'm wrong but that is what I've heard. One day he was in shed mode, full cloudy blue eyes, he rarely shows himself in this state but I was passing the vacuum near his enclosure and that vacuum was so loud in that tiny apartment I had at the time. He came out looking like he wanted to strangle that noise machine. He had the full neck out and up looking directly at the vacuum, even though he was in blue. But for the most part, I can pretty much yell "Crowley!" as loud as I want and he won't hear me...
    That's right, snakes do feel vibrations...things like a vacuum, for sure. They can feel bass notes* but not higher frequencies (like your voice & your macaw).

*We can feel bass notes too...put your hand on your snake's cage (glass or plastic) & you'll verify that, but it's just that we can also hear so well that we don't
    need to use touch in that way...we sorta forget that we can. My snakes give "dirty looks" when I vacuum near their cages too, LOL. They also look out if
    I play loud music- again, stuff with more bass.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-12-2019 at 10:47 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Valyndris (09-12-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That's right, snakes do feel vibrations...things like a vacuum, for sure. They can feel bass notes* but not higher frequencies (like your voice & your macaw).

*We can feel bass notes too...put your hand on your snake's cage (glass or plastic) & you'll verify that, but it's just that we can also hear so well that we don't
    need to use touch in that way...we sorta forget that we can. My snakes give "dirty looks" when I vacuum near their cages too, LOL. They also look out if
    I play loud music- again, stuff with more bass.
    I listen to stuff with a lot of bass, back when the stereo was near his tank (tiny apartment problems) I'd feel his tank to see if I can feel the bass. I have turned it up too high a few times and he came out during the day looking miserable, poor little guy, of course when he did that we turned it down. It's amazing how you can tell facial features even though it doesn't even look like snakes can move they're brow or anything like that. The sunk in tired looking eyes said enough though. lol

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-12-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Valyndris View Post
    I listen to stuff with a lot of bass, back when the stereo was near his tank (tiny apartment problems) I'd feel his tank to see if I can feel the bass. I have turned it up too high a few times and he came out during the day looking miserable, poor little guy, of course when he did that we turned it down. It's amazing how you can tell facial features even though it doesn't even look like snakes can move they're brow or anything like that. The sunk in tired looking eyes said enough though. lol
    The "looks" I get are more like "What? -is the sky falling!? " Sorry snakes...I like music too....
    I've also seen some snakes that act hungry (w/ loud bass music)...I'm guessing maybe the vibrations are similar to hunger pangs they feel?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Valyndris (09-12-2019)

Thanks
    From a biology view, maybe he likes the face the most because of bloodflow. Your face has more capillaries, and they are closer to the surface than most of the rest of your body. This is why small cuts on your face bleed so profusely. It also has a large surface area, and it may be acting as a 'heat mat.' As your level of enjoyment goes up, your bloodflow will increase causing the area to be even hotter.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoatBoy For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-12-2019),Luvyna (09-12-2019),Valyndris (09-12-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
    From a biology view, maybe he likes the face the most because of bloodflow. Your face has more capillaries, and they are closer to the surface than most of the rest of your body. This is why small cuts on your face bleed so profusely. It also has a large surface area, and it may be acting as a 'heat mat.' As your level of enjoyment goes up, your bloodflow will increase causing the area to be even hotter.
    Not to mention our warm breath. Not ever knowing for sure won't keep me from being affectionate to my pets...that's even good for our own blood pressure too.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-12-2019),Valyndris (09-12-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
    Whether he does it for warmth or affection we may never know but he makes me so happy when he does this, while he gets his warmth too, so it's a win win.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-12-2019),GoatBoy (09-13-2019)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123