Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,801

2 members and 2,799 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts
    I'd probably go with Sunday, but I think Friday is probably OK too, as is offering f/t. The worst she can do is say "no thanks", but she'll probably take it- and
    especially if you wait a couple extra days for a bit more hunger to kick in, plus a little more time to "settle in".
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (09-12-2019),WrongPython (09-12-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

Re: Adelita - 2019 Hypo Sonoran

Operation: Dinner Time was a success! My girl made me work for it a bit, though.

I ultimately decided to wait until today to offer Adelita her first meal home as she still seemed a bit reserved through Thursday. She was quite perplexed by the f/t hopper the first time I offered it - a lot of tongue flicking, a bit of nudging, but ultimately she turned her nose up from it. No dice. Took a reading of her hopper with the IR temp gun and found that its surface cooled to room temp much more quickly than I expected. I decided to go for Round Two and warmed the hopper back up to a hair over 100 degrees F, patted it dry again, and offered it to her a second time. She was a bit offended at first when I waved the hopper a bit closer to her face, but then she took a sniff. Rapid tongue flipping ensued. Then - BAM! - she took her first meal home and switched over to f/t all in one go. I hung back a bit, made sure everything went down the hatch, and then left the room to give her some privacy.

Now to make sure that she has a nice, stress-free 48 hours to digest her meal. Hopefully she doesn't need any more cajoling next week when I introduce the multivitamin + Ca/D3 supplements.
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

dakski (09-16-2019),richardhind1972 (09-15-2019)

Thanks

Adelita got a little enclosure renovation last night - her humidity was only holding in the mid-50's despite twice-daily mistings, so I bumped her up to EcoEarth a bit early. She also had her first real handling session since she came home, and I'm happy to report that she was very well behaved after I tapped her out. Go boas!

The weather is starting to get pretty variable here and I have limited ability to control the heat in my flat. I may be bumping this girl up to a 4' x 2' x 2' PVC enclosure in a month or two for environmental control reasons.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

dakski (09-27-2019),Kam (11-19-2019),Luvyna (10-19-2019),richardhind1972 (09-19-2019)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Glad all went well with handling, always a nervous time, until you get to know each other properly

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

WrongPython (09-20-2019)

Thanks

she is precious...congrats!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Gargoyle Geckos: Gorey, Gremmie, Ouija, Gojira, Bacon Bit, Penny, Wednesday
    Crested Geckos: Eggs, Triscuit, Creature & Waffles
    Leopard Geckos: Rhubarb, Pepper and Clementine
    Cal Kings: Bones & Violet
    Corn snakes: A sh*tload
    Trans-Pesos: 1.1 No names
    BPs: Charlie (super pastel), Bodhi (pied), Finn (GHI Mojave), Dublin (fire bumblebee), Falkor(mystic potion), Letty (pewter), Jameson
    BCI Boa: Specter (Fineline morph)
    SnuSnu the cat, Corbin the pit bull, Juniper the mini aussie & Lily the setter mix
    One little special needs bearded dragon P. Sherman
    Black African House Snakes: 1.1 No names
    Northern Pines: 1.1 No names
    Four skinks, one of which is named Gator & Basil the mini-lop rabbit

'everything was beautiful and nothing hurt' - vonnegut.

www.facebook.com/SilentHillReptiles

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SilentHill For This Useful Post:

WrongPython (09-20-2019)

Thanks

Another week's gone by and this girl continues to spoil me with how good she is. She took her second f/t meal at home and continues to be an angel when I have her out. I seriously lucked out with her - she's all I wanted in a first snake. My only cause for concern with her is that she hasn't pooped or passed urates yet - she seems to be adequately hydrated, but almost three weeks seems like a long time.

Big changes will be coming her way in a month or so. I'm in the process of ordering her PVC enclosure, and it should get here in mid-October if all goes well. I've had some good luck locating information about Sonoran boas' habits in the wild, so I should be able to design a nice naturalistic biotope for her before she has to move in in late-October/November. While I'm a bit nervous about moving her up to a bigger cage at her age, I just don't feel like struggling to keep the temps up over the winter in her current glass tank. The average ambients in my apartment were 62-64 F last winter, and I don't know if that will change for the better or not (I have steam radiators and no real control over the heat).

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

cletus (10-07-2019),Kam (11-19-2019),Luvyna (10-19-2019),richardhind1972 (09-28-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

First, she looks great! Glad she's eating and calm when handling.

Secondly, getting a PVC cage makes all the sense in the world. I have Boaphiles and many people here have AP cages.

Get a good cage that's well insulated, especially if you are going into the low 60's in your apartment in the winter.

Also, go overkill on the heating elements and get a good thermostat, preferably a redundant one.

If you put enough hides in there, she should be ok. I moved Feliz into his 4X2X1' Boaphile at about 180G, if that. However, hides, hides, hides. Make the tank feel cluttered.

PVC cages will also hold humidity well, especially if well insulated. I use paper and in the winter, when it's 25% in basement and 66-68F, I big bowl and occasional misting does the trick.

I would get a RHP and Heat Tape. I would do the heat tape on both sides of the tank if it's bigger than a 3X2'. If it is a 3X2', I would definitely consider very mild heat tape for the cool side.

My 4X2' tanks have an RHP and heat tape on one side and then lower wattage heat tape on the other side (cool side). They all run off the same thermostat and it keeps the hot side/hot spot about 88F and 78-80F on the cool side even in the winter.

I would consider a lower tank - like a 1FT high tank also. Easier to heat.

I never let my basement/reptile area get below 65F, however, I would not worry if it did, as I know I have put more than I need in terms of heating elements. I would rather have them barely run in summer and less in winter, as opposed to running all the time to try to keep up.

For what's worth, I recommend Jeff Ronne and Boaphile because he knows his tanks in and out and if you tell him what the temps get down to, and what size tank, etc. he will customize it for you.

Remember, Radiant Heat Panels (RHP) create a hot spot, but also warm the tank air. Heat tape/heat pads only heat the area they touch.

Additionally, RHP's do not dry the air as much as lamps do.

Please let me know if I can be of any help.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (09-28-2019),WrongPython (09-28-2019)

Thanks

Thanks dakski!

My main concern with this coming winter is the ambient temps in her enclosure - I don't want my girl getting an RI, especially at her age. I've reached out to Pro Products for the RHP and Kages for the enclosure, and from the bit of talking I've done so far, both groups seem to agree that the RHP should be able to keep the ambients up. I also plan on building some stone/rock structures for the basking zone to provide some nice belly heat, and this comes with the added benefit of the stone/rock retaining heat and reflecting it back into the enclosure. Between all that and some supplemental UV-B lighting (I'd imagine T5 lights give off a bit of heat), I'm hoping that I won't have to resort to getting additional heat tape.

My biggest question now is if I want the enclosure to be built in a way that I could go bioactive in the future if I wanted to (ie. raised substrate board, extra vents). My end goal is to build something that's as close to a slice of her part the Sonoran Desert as possible, with a good bit of stone/rock structure, some cork and/or branches, and a few desert plants. I'll only be keeping things naturalistic for the next year or so, though, and I'll probably bump her up to a new 6' x something enclosure when she approaches 5'. I'll be mentally chewing on things for the next few days before I formally place my orders.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (09-28-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    Beautiful boa!!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:

WrongPython (10-04-2019)

Thanks

Adelita's been home for about a month now and things are going well. I put in the orders for her new enclosure and RHP, and she treated me to a near-perfect shed:

All she retained was a bit of shed on the tip of her tail, and I was able to get that off after a quick soak. Now if she'd just do her business - she hasn't gone once since I brought her home, and I'm starting to get worried!

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

cletus (10-07-2019),EL-Ziggy (10-16-2019),Kam (11-19-2019),Luvyna (10-19-2019),RedRabbit (10-14-2019),richardhind1972 (10-08-2019)

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast