Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 533

0 members and 533 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

Adelita - 2019 Hypo Sonoran

My trip to the expo today wound up going a bit differently than I expected.

The original plan was to pick up some hardware, meet some adult boas, talk to Vin Russo the size and temperament of different localities, and mull over those last two a bit. I did manage to find all the hardware I wanted, see some big boas, and have a very informative (and enjoyable) conversation with Vin. When all was said and done, that fourth part of my plan wound up changing:

Meet Adelita, my 2019 hypo Sonoran (het leopard) by Cutting Edge Herp. For a baby boa, she's actually quite agreeable and well-mannered.

Here's to a few good decades, girl.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Ball_Pythons4life (03-04-2021),BlueOrleans1290 (02-19-2021),Bodie (09-09-2019),Bogertophis (09-09-2019),cletus (10-04-2019),dakski (09-08-2019),EL-Ziggy (10-16-2019),Gemini Pythons (01-25-2020),jmcrook (10-25-2020),JobForARetic (10-20-2020),Kam (11-19-2019),Luvyna (10-15-2019),richardhind1972 (09-08-2019),RickyNY (11-06-2019),stealthk7gsxr (02-04-2021),Toad37 (09-08-2019),vivi (04-07-2020)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Re: Adelita - 2019 Hypo Sonoran

Congratulations, she's stunning, won't be too big either

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

WrongPython (09-08-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Gorgeous. Glad you found a boa you relate with!

Mazel Tov and wishing you a long and happy life together.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

WrongPython (09-09-2019)

Thanks

Thanks guys!

I'm happy to say that her first 24 hours at home went well. She spent most of yesterday checking out her cage, basking under the heat projector, and climbing up the thermostat probe's cord. That cord was probably her favorite thing until this morning - not the three hides I bought her, not her actual basking spot, the cord. As soon as she settles in a bit more, I'm gonna have to get her some climbing structures and find a better way to anchor that thing to the wall! She seems to have since overcome her cord fixation and is now using more of her tank and thermoregulating well. I also noticed a few drops of water on her chin that seems to indicate that she found one of her water bowls.

The only time she's even gotten hissy with me so far was when I accidentally startled her out of a nap, which I can't really blame her for. I just backed off a little, watched her from a respectful distance, and left when she eventually calmed down. She's been a bit wary after that, but it could also just be her adjusting. All in all, though, I'd say it was a good first day.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-09-2019),dakski (09-09-2019),richardhind1972 (09-09-2019)

Thanks

I'd let her be for a bit. If temps and humidity are stable, leave her alone until she's ready to eat, and then leave her alone again after feeding unless you have to clean her tank. I'd let her be for a week or two and a couple feedings. Then you can start short and gentle handling sessions.

If I didn't mention earlier, it's a good idea to hook train boas. They love food and you do not want to get mistaken.

I can post the link to a hook training thread I have if you want.

Again, good luck with the beauty and I wouldn't sweat the hiss at all.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (09-09-2019),WrongPython (09-09-2019)

Thanks

Thanks for the seasoned advice as always, dakski.

Her temps and humidity seem stable, though I am a bit worried whether the cool side of her cage/tank is cool enough. The digital thermometer I have on that side has been reading around 77-79 degrees, but I have reason to believe it's a bit off. When my heating system was coming out of the night drop this morning, the thermometer was reading 77 degrees on the cool side, while the Herpstat probe on her basking spot (which I trust a great deal more) was reading 75 degrees (I've read a night drop to 75 is good/fine for boas; correct me if I'm wrong). I'm not sure if this is a function of differences between the probes (the digital thermometer's is covered in black plastic, the Herpstat's is not) or if there's something wiggy going on. I may try a new digital thermometer or keep an old-school mercury thermometer on the outside of her tank to monitor ambient temps in the room. In the interim, a new infrared thermometer is due to arrive soon, so maybe some surface temps will be enlightening.

The plan is to keep handling to a minimum for the first two weeks or so (outside of the necessary feeding and water changes) and to start tap training right away. The hissy fit was a function of me looking in on her through the glass of her tank - I'd be pretty startled too if I woke up to a kaiju-size face staring at me. I'm blocking three sides of her tank tomorrow with some re-purposed paper bags to help her feel more secure. If she still seems tense I'll make a blind for the front as well.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-09-2019),dakski (09-09-2019),richardhind1972 (09-09-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WrongPython View Post
    Thanks for the seasoned advice as always, dakski.

Her temps and humidity seem stable, though I am a bit worried whether the cool side of her cage/tank is cool enough. The digital thermometer I have on that side has been reading around 77-79 degrees, but I have reason to believe it's a bit off. When my heating system was coming out of the night drop this morning, the thermometer was reading 77 degrees on the cool side, while the Herpstat probe on her basking spot (which I trust a great deal more) was reading 75 degrees (I've read a night drop to 75 is good/fine for boas; correct me if I'm wrong). I'm not sure if this is a function of differences between the probes (the digital thermometer's is covered in black plastic, the Herpstat's is not) or if there's something wiggy going on. I may try a new digital thermometer or keep an old-school mercury thermometer on the outside of her tank to monitor ambient temps in the room. In the interim, a new infrared thermometer is due to arrive soon, so maybe some surface temps will be enlightening.

The plan is to keep handling to a minimum for the first two weeks or so (outside of the necessary feeding and water changes) and to start tap training right away. The hissy fit was a function of me looking in on her through the glass of her tank - I'd be pretty startled too if I woke up to a kaiju-size face staring at me. I'm blocking three sides of her tank tomorrow with some re-purposed paper bags to help her feel more secure. If she still seems tense I'll make a blind for the front as well.
    I would rely on the IR temp gun on the way. That will give you surface temps, which is what you want. Air temps aren't as relevant.

Air temps can be very different. Under Behira's RHP and above her heat tape (same side, same thermostat), the probe (positioned between them) reads 84F this time of year (73F in the reptile area), but her hot spot is about 88F.

I keep temps pretty constant, but a night drop is okay. Temps should never get below about 76F and there should always be access to a hot spot of at least 86F. I aim for 86-88F on both Behira's (BI) and Feliz's (BCC) hot spots. Above 90F they avoid them most of the time, and below 86F it won't help too much with digestion.

Also, for what's worth, my hot spot in my boa tanks (as stated above) is about 88F, with an 82-84F middle/ambient temp, and a 78-80F cool side. Humidity is always 50-55%+ (winter drops are okay to about 55% as long as you up humidity for sheds) and in the summer, closer to 60-65%. BI's are less susceptible to RI's and other humidity related issues than BCC, but still, humidity is important. Too much or too little, and the former with low temps, is bad. When young, they can be more prone to issues as well.

I hear you on her getting spooked. Cover the sides as you said and that should help her get comfy quicker. Once settled in, Boas are rarely shy. The issue I have with Behira and Feliz is striking the front of the tank (clear doors) wanting food. I have a drape for Behira and will have one for Feliz by tomorrow night. You might need a front cover at some point, but not for what you originally thought .

Keep us posted and keep up the good work.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (09-09-2019),WrongPython (09-09-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts
    Really cute little boa...love her colors.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

WrongPython (09-10-2019)

Thanks

Adelita's settling in well and the IR temp gun arrived tonight. The floor of the cool side was ~79 degrees, the middle zone was ~83 degrees, and her basking spot was ~86-87 degrees under the heat projector (in 86 degree night "drop" mode - I have it set to 88 degrees during the day). Based on the ambient temps in the room, it seems as though the digital thermometer is reasonably accurate. We had a bit of a heat wave by me today and the ambient temp in Adelita's room rose to around 80 degrees when the AC unit had a bit of trouble keeping up. Not that she minded- she was actually trying to climb up the digital thermometer's cord for the first time since her first day home. She definitely seems to like temps in the ranges you mentioned, dakski. Her viv is actually maintaining a relatively stable temperature gradient in that range with a humidity of 62-67%, so I'm quite happy with where things are now. I may have to keep an eye on that humidity, though.

My big debate right now is when to offer her her first meal with me. Her last meal was a live hopper mouse on 2 September, so it's getting close to feeding time for her. I've only been able to get frozen hopper mice, though, and I haven't been able to find anyone with live hoppers around me. I'm a bit worried that I'd be asking too much of her for first meal home to be her transition to f/t. I'm also not sure if I want to try and feed her Friday (her fifth day home and possibly too soon), Sunday night (after being home for a week), or Monday morning (two weeks after her last meal - a bit long for a baby boa). She seems to be settling in and possibly ready for a feeding attempt on Friday, but I'm not sure how to judge her "readiness."

18. The Following User Says Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

dakski (09-11-2019)

Thanks

She will probably take F/T. If you want to feed f/t long term, try it. Feliz ate stunned mice and switched in about 5 seconds.

Friday should be fine. If she refuses. Wait at least 4 days. I doubt she will though.

Good luck.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

WrongPython (09-12-2019)

Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast