Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,056

4 members and 2,052 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Was labeled Banana, but...your thoughts?

Hi all! I purchased my first snake (I was actually terrified of them until I was convinced to hold this one at the pet store) in July. He was labeled banana along with what appears to be a true banana in the same enclosure, however he looks quite different. His coloring is different (paler, no orange, yellow is muted, no purple), he has perhaps 3-4 freckles on his whole body and he has a lighter cream colored dorsal stripe. Any ideas as to what else may be mixed in? I’d be grateful for any insight!

Here are a few links. I added images earlier, but every time I submit, I get an error and have to start the post over

I took these this morning after his shed last night Contrast looks a little weird for the two where he’s on the floor, but they are all in natural light.

https://ibb.co/jMhcTjx
    https://ibb.co/r69qt19
    https://ibb.co/ZfYFyms

These are from the pet store. The first shows his pattern pretty well and the other two show him next to the banana he was enclosed with.

https://ibb.co/37tfrst
    https://ibb.co/5v5KZBC
    https://ibb.co/wBdXGGY

Thanks
    Trying once more to add photos. Hopefully this works! The first three were taken this morning in natural light. He just shed last night. Sorry the first photo is a little off color-wise, but it really shows the color variation in his darker areas. The rest are pretty spot on.

At the pet store and next to the banana he was cohabiting with:

Last edited by SnapesMa; 09-08-2019 at 03:56 PM.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Considering the size and lack of spots it is more than a banana there is another gene at play. Outdoor pics in natural light will help.
    Deborah Stewart

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (09-08-2019),SnapesMa (09-08-2019)

Thanks

Thanks for the reply The last photo is in direct sunlight. The rest are in indirect sunlight. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by SnapesMa; 09-08-2019 at 04:45 PM.

Thanks
    Can't offer any insight on what morph it is, but I just wanted to say, WOW that is a beautiful snake! Such lovely pale colours and those blue eyes are gorgeous. When I bought my BP, Noodle, I was originally looking for a snake that looks like yours. Very interested in what others have to say about this morph.
    Last edited by Luvyna; 09-08-2019 at 05:12 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (09-09-2019),SnapesMa (09-08-2019)

Thanks

Re: Was labeled Banana, but...your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    Can't offer any insight on what morph it is, but I just wanted to say, WOW that is a beautiful snake! Such lovely pale colours and those blue eyes are gorgeous. When I bought my BP, Noodle, I was originally looking for a snake that looks like yours. Very interested in what others have to say about this morph.
    Aww, thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Hey,

Definately looks like there is another gene at play here based on the colour of the snake and lack of black freckling. I don't know what it is though.

Hopefully some banana breeders will be able to weigh in here.

Great looking snake though,

Liam.
    https://www.reptilerange.com/ball-python-care-sheet/

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mechliam For This Useful Post:

SnapesMa (09-10-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    wow this is a tough one. i'm assuming he was priced much more than the reg Banana? anyways i would guess that's at least a 3 gene BP, maybe more. i think it's at least a Banana Lesser and either Spider or Spotnose. it probably also has Pastel.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

SnapesMa (09-10-2019),Sonny1318 (09-10-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    wow this is a tough one. i'm assuming he was priced much more than the reg Banana? anyways i would guess that's at least a 3 gene BP, maybe more. i think it's at least a Banana Lesser and either Spider or Spotnose. it probably also has Pastel.
    No, he was labeled Banana, enclosed with a banana and priced as one. I actually got a pretty good deal when I got him though. He was originally priced at $350, but I got him for $175.

I’m not sure about the Spider. He has no wobble and has no problem keeping/getting himself upright. From what I understand, that morph presents neurological issues that I haven’t observed in mine.

A local herp mentioned pinstripe, but all the banana pins I’ve found look much different. I’ve researched morphs daily for over a month since I got him, looked at countless photos of various crosses (even using UK terms - royal, coral glow, etc.) and haven’t come across another like mine. I was hoping my lack of results was just inexperience in not knowing what to look for, but it seems he really is just a special boy

I looked up Spotnose and came across a YouTube video that has a banana that looks probably the most similar to mine that I’ve seen so far. Pattern is a bit different/busier, but the colors are very close and it has the lighter dorsal stripe. I’m sure it’s not the exact same mix as below, but I think you may be on to something with this one

Thanks a bunch for your insight and help!

Last edited by SnapesMa; 09-10-2019 at 08:48 AM.

Thanks

Re: Was labeled Banana, but...your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by mechliam View Post
    Hey,

Definately looks like there is another gene at play here based on the colour of the snake and lack of black freckling. I don't know what it is though.

Hopefully some banana breeders will be able to weigh in here.

Great looking snake though,

Liam.
    https://www.reptilerange.com/ball-python-care-sheet/
    Thank you!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast