Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 642

0 members and 642 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Question Ball Python Burying Himself?!?

Im worried about my male ball python. He recently started burying himself completely. His humidity and heat are normal and haven't been adjusted. And his hides are the right size for him. Is he sick? He ate a live mouse today, and didn't seem to be acting weird, except he missed when he struck and kinda laid there dazed, then proceeded to eat normally. He's young and im so worried. I love him to death.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Ball Python Burying Himself?!?

They are ambush predators so I can't see there is anything wrong with what you are doing. Or his behavior.

We normally advise a thinner subnstrate purely because it makes it easier to get the temps dialed in, but if he is eating and digesting ok I don't see mutch to worry about.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-08-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    I agree, I wouldn't worry. You say the hides are the right size, but they still may not be providing as much "back pressure" (feeling snug inside) as your snake
    craves, especially since he's young & insecure. After all, baby snakes are easy pickings for other predators in nature. If all our snakes behaved exactly the same,
    it wouldn't be as much fun watching them anyway. If you want to encourage him to use his hides, try loosely crumpling a paper towel & stuffing it inside each
    hide. It will take longer if you wait for him to discover this on his own, so if you happen to pick him up, try showing it to him by putting his face near the 'doorway'
    as you put him back into his enclosure. (most snakes will go right in)

But about "handling"...how long have you had him? & how many times has he eaten for you? It's best not to handle a new snake until he's eaten at least 3 times
    easily for you (without refusals other than for being in shed). Also best for his safety to get him eating only dead prey (f/t- frozen thawed, or f/k- fresh killed), but
    wait until he's eating reliably for you before you try to switch him over. Young rodents, mice or rats, pose far less danger than older ones to our snakes, & for the
    most part, I advocate letting a snake's natural feeding instincts kick in before trying to feed dead prey.

And
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-08-2019 at 12:30 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Snakes burrow. Don't sweat it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chase04 View Post
    Im worried about my male ball python. He recently started burying himself completely. His humidity and heat are normal and haven't been adjusted. And his hides are the right size for him. Is he sick? He ate a live mouse today, and didn't seem to be acting weird, except he missed when he struck and kinda laid there dazed, then proceeded to eat normally. He's young and im so worried. I love him to death.

Turns out he is about to shed he is burrowing because he can't see too well and hes nervous. I just noticed hes in blue this morning

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chase04 View Post
    Turns out he is about to shed he is burrowing because he can't see too well and hes nervous. I just noticed hes in blue this morning
    Might also be finding a bit more humidity in the substrate...
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    The added friction from the substrate must be nice for him too, maybe give him a nice course rock to rub up against in the future (if you use a rock from outside, be sure to follow a tutorial on how to properly sterilize it for pet use)
    Captain of "The Good Ship Blip"