Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,004

0 members and 3,004 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Hulu

Thanks

Hulu

Finally got myself a sand boa

They seem to be "the snake" to have here in Alberta at the moment, and we missed out on th last one at a show last summer by literally 45s.

Fortunately, the reptile manager at our local pet store where I get feeders (and where I have built up substantial rewards points ) was able to get one in last month.

She had her three meals, so I was finally able to pick her up this week. Meet Hulu

Probably going to just remove the hide and add a little more substrate. Thoughts from those of you with KSBs? Have her in a quarantine tub for now, she'll get her permanent home later this fall.

Bonus: bragging rights to whoever can guess what her name's short for, and why it is therefore hilarious
    2.2 Ball Pythons - Super Pastel (Manasa) / Banana (Foster) / Butter Bee (Pancake) / Normal (Chipit)

0.1 Abbotts Okeetee Corn (Koko)

1.0 Jungle Carpet (Akurra)

1.0 Coastal Rosy Boa (Volos)

0.1 Het. Albino Kenyan Sand Boa (Hulu)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to das_nooblet For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-07-2019),richardhind1972 (09-07-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Never kept these but always loved their colors & designs...orange & brown would have been my choice too, incidentally. I'll have to work on the name Hulu though...
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: Hulu

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Never kept these but always loved their colors & designs
    To be honest, the first time I really noticed them was at the show before the one I missed out at. Had never really thought of them before, but then they started growing on me

She'll be a counterpart to Volos (my Rosy) in the "little noodle" category for doing presentations to my Scouts. I'm looking forward to the kids' reactions when I ask "Who wants to see a boa?!" and bring out either Hulu or Volos instead of a BCI/BCC
    2.2 Ball Pythons - Super Pastel (Manasa) / Banana (Foster) / Butter Bee (Pancake) / Normal (Chipit)

0.1 Abbotts Okeetee Corn (Koko)

1.0 Jungle Carpet (Akurra)

1.0 Coastal Rosy Boa (Volos)

0.1 Het. Albino Kenyan Sand Boa (Hulu)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by das_nooblet View Post

She'll be a counterpart to Volos (my Rosy) in the "little noodle" category for doing presentations to my Scouts. I'm looking forward to the kids' reactions when I ask "Who wants to see a boa?!" and bring out either Hulu or Volos instead of a BCI/BCC
    Just like when I share my little Aussie Spotted Python..."that little thing is a PYTHON!?" I have a rosy boa too, btw.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

das_nooblet (09-07-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by das_nooblet View Post
    Finally got myself a sand boa

They seem to be "the snake" to have here in Alberta at the moment, and we missed out on th last one at a show last summer by literally 45s.

Fortunately, the reptile manager at our local pet store where I get feeders (and where I have built up substantial rewards points ) was able to get one in last month.

She had her three meals, so I was finally able to pick her up this week. Meet Hulu

Probably going to just remove the hide and add a little more substrate. Thoughts from those of you with KSBs? Have her in a quarantine tub for now, she'll get her permanent home later this fall.

Bonus: bragging rights to whoever can guess what her name's short for, and why it is therefore hilarious
    I would leave hides in if you're going to use substrate with large/heavy pieces. (Looks like cypress mulch?) Adding deeper substrate of any type won't hurt though. And you could still leave in the hides or partially bury them.l if they're a bit tall for the tub with deeper substrate.

A small KSB may have a harder time digging that type of mulch and the hides will be a good option in case it compacts too much so hiding at the warm/cool sides is still an easy option. Mine has an easier burrowing substrate and I leave hides in since it gives some visual appeal for me and she climbs over the tops and through them regularly. I feel the extra textures and obstacles are likely enriching for her to have.

For a KSB I'd prefer aspen sani chips, fine aspen shavings, or dry reptile prime/coco fiber. They're looser and don't compact down as much so it makes for easier tunneling. The shavings will tend to hold tunnels best, though my KSB has never cared for than and just plows through her old ones.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-09-2019),das_nooblet (09-09-2019)