Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,995

0 members and 2,995 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Can I Clean This Part 2

Ok, another episode of can I clean this or do I get rid of it.

I had a friend give me 2 glass tanks, they were used as aquariums, and were sitting outside for unknown amount of time.

There are now in my garage, waiting to be cleaned. One is a 55 Gallon, One is a 20 Tall,

Question is can they be cleaned for reptile use? Or are they not usable due to unknown fish / chemicals / substances that were in there?

Again if a little work cleans them up and they are usable Great, If they would still pose a hazard to house reptiles in I'll get rid of them.

Pics are attached of the used aquariums, they are not pretty.

I also have a 20 gallon terrarium, that was a freebie too, this one has a crack across the bottom (sorry no pic of this one), on one side.

My plan was to hot glue a piece of plexiglass over that half of the glass on the inside and make it the "cool side" and put a heat mat on the

unbroken side for the "hot side". Would the hot glue be safe after it dried and hardened?

I know to NOT use any form of tape in there, so that's out.

Last edited by Gocntry; 09-07-2019 at 10:59 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    You're safe to clean up (& hot glue as described) these tanks for reptile use, it's just a lot of work. I'm all for recycling, this is just messy (wear old clothes).

Clean "dirt" first with soap & water rinse-

-then work on hard water deposits (soak in white vinegar to dissolve)

-disinfect thoroughly & multiple times (inside & out) using at least 2 of these SEPARATELY (outside with good ventilation for A & B). NEVER MIX THESE, rinse each thoroughly:
    (A) Ammonia, OR (B) chlorine bleach AND (C) F10 or Nolvasan or chlorhexidine or isopropyl ("rubbing") alcohol (using proper dilution, these need no rinse, just wipe dry)

-check the inside corners & top molding to be sure they remain sealed (you can re-seal over the corners using silicone aquarium sealant if needed)
    Since these were also "sitting outside for some time" they may be falling apart...I hope the original glue is still holding ok.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-07-2019 at 12:06 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ogre (09-07-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts

Re: Can I Clean This Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Gocntry View Post

My plan was to hot glue a piece of plexiglass over that half of the glass on the inside and make it the "cool side" and put a heat mat on the

unbroken side for the "hot side". Would the hot glue be safe after it dried and hardened? ...
    I just want to add that when you do this, make sure that you don't leave gaps under the plexi (where there's no glue), because otherwise it will be a haven for germs & mold to grow. But completely sealed against the cracked glass, I don't see a problem, other than "cosmetic", & if you install some background outside the tank & use that side as the back, it won't be very noticeable.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-07-2019 at 02:23 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)