Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,830

1 members and 2,829 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Finally Getting Some

I found a breeder of cresties in my town and my mom said I can get some. They're 25$ a peice too, I have setup my old 20g long vertically. Will this be big enough for 3. The breeder said he feeds crickets once a week and T-Rex CGD the rest of the time. Is this a good enough diet. Also how do you prepare wood that you find outside, I found a couple peices of birch outside on the ground. Do you have to strip the bark off. Also my dad fertilizes near where I found the wood. is this a problem if I wash off the wood and bake it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Finally Getting Some

a 20 long should be ok for 3. are they all babies/juvies? the diet that the breeder is feeding is perfect. if you continue them on the same diet they should do very well for you. i think i would reconsider using the wood that you found outside because of the fertilizer. you can use paper towel rolls or egg crates for hides and climbing space. if you want to go the more naturalistic route try to get some wood that hasn't been around any kind of fertilizer. you can soak the wood in bleach/water solution or novalsan/water solution and let it dry in the sun for a few days or you can bake it to kill any nasties.
    - Emily

Thanks

Ok, I'll get some wood and vines from the pet store, how much climbing area do they need, Also with petstore wood do you still need to clean it and bake it. They're juvies, but hes got a breeder trio that hes selling for 150$ or negotiable. I want to make the enclosure look natural. What about wood that I freshly cut of a tree, I've some trees that need trimming.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

the cage doesn't need to be packed full or anything, but just enough that each gecko has somewhere to climb and hide away from the others. definitely still clean stuff that you get from the petstore. freshly cut branches and whatnot would be sappy i would think. usually dried wood you pick up off the ground is best.
    - Emily

Thanks

Would wood dowels work

Thanks

If you go to Hobby Lobby, Michael's or any other bigger craft store, they usually have 6' pieces of thick bamboo. I just use a handsaw to cut it down to size, and it works great.

The only downside with it I have found is, if it gets wet and stays wet for too long of a period(think: the end of the bamboo that is up against the moist paper towels on the floor of the cage) it will start to mold. I just combat that by soaking it in bleach water once every week to a week and a half, and it is fine. I also chlorhexidine the doodie out of it too

Although, if someone finds a way to seal it (could probably polyurethane the danged stuff-but I'm lazy, LoL), that would work too.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks
    Blog Entries

i use bamboo in my cages as well. i sealed each piece with 3 coats of polyurethane and so far that's working great.

- Emily

Thanks

what are those white holders, I may just use wood dowels. Im thinking of building a big wood cage. what would ideal dimensions be.

Thanks

You did it the easy way, didn't you Emily... LoL

I will more than likely seal it when I clean the tank next time. It's good to know that it works well. Thanks!
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks
    Blog Entries

the perch supports are closet pole sockets. i picked up a huge box full of them on ebay since buying them one pair per package at walmart for a bunch of cages was not a good option (not to mention that they only carry like 2 pairs at a time). if you are interested you can get some of them here (scroll to the bottom of the page).

i wouldn't necessarily say i did it the easy way but i like it. i cut the bamboo out of a friend's yard, dried it, cut it to size, washed it, sealed it, washed it again and installed it in the cages. took some time but i like it way better than anything else i was using before.
    - Emily

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast