Hi all,
I recently went to a Herp show, I only wanted to go look at all the reptiles in awe. 5 minutes before they shut it down, a breeder convinced me that I just HAD to buy a BP from him. Im 8 months pregnant at the time, so my hormonal lady brain said YES this is exactly what I need in my life right now. The snake I was awing at was the one he was throwing around little kids necks like a toy. He handed me the same snake in a pillowcase, took my money, and left. He didn't tell me how old he was, his feeding schedule, where to start or what to get for as a setup for him. I did not go there with the intention of buying a snake, but now that I bought him I'm going to do whatever I can to make sure he's comfortable. Please don't bark at me about how I should've done my research before buying a snake, I'm trying to do right now.
I went out and bought one of those snake starter kits, that came with a 20 gal glass tank, heating pad, and humidity/ temp gauge, bought a couple hides, and some coconut substrate. Set him up in the guest bedroom of my house, but my big concern is that my house is too cold. I keep it at 72 degrees in my house, I'm super pregnant right now, there's no way I can just raise the temperature of the house, I'm still sweating even though it's on 72. I tried to put a little space heater in the bedroom, and after about 3 days it broke. Is there a better way I can raise the temp of the cage without having to turn my house into a sauna? Would the snake be more comfortable if his cage was on my screened in back porch instead? It doesn't get cold here but in the day it can get up to about 91, I figured that would be too hot.