Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,450

2 members and 3,448 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Fleas Found On Dog - How to Treat w/ Snakes in the House

I actually treat our three dogs monthly with oral flea/tick pills as well, however the mention of the Neem oil was a good one! I use Neem oil for a couple different things:

I don't like Febreeze because it leaves a film on things plus the chemicals in it (more worried about the animals than myself) so I use a mixture of one part baking soda, three parts water, plus a few drops of peppermint oil, tea tree oil, and Neem oil that I spray on the carpets before I sweep. Leaves everything smelling nice, and BONUS, helps keep little bugs away. I like this as an extra preventative

I also use a gentle mixture of water, a few drops of Dawn dish soap, and a few drops of Neem oil to spray on my plants to keep pests away (aphids, etc.)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ladywhipple02 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-05-2019),sur3fir3 (09-05-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Another thing I should mention that it hasn't been proven, but DE is supposed to be a method to get rid of worms.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sur3fir3 View Post
    This is my recommendation. Use diatomaceous Earth. sorry about the big font it copied from the website. So I used this stuff on many things from bed bugs to ants. Basically what I did was take a pillow case and fill it with some daitomaceaous earth and hit it against anything u want it to be on. It works well in carpets on beds, on drapes, just about any fabric. This stuff is food quality and it can be ingested with no side effects. This stuff is not meant to be the primary way of getting rid of the fleas. This is meant to be used in conjunction with other natural or non natural methods. Do your research on this stuff before you buy it. The only way in which this stuff can even be mildy dangerous is when inhaled. But even then it just irritates the airways. So after you put it on the carpet the first time wear a mask when you vacuum. I didn't wear a mask when I vacuumed, and had no issues.

Another natural way to handle fleas is with Neem oil.

*note* doing it the natural way will take a while before they are all gone.. Since you got the drops already I would recommend making a neem oil spray to spray down everything you can. let that dry, and then apply the DE.

another way to apply DE is with a sifter, but i find that you end up with piles of it instead of a fine dusting when you use a sifter.
    Thanks for the great recommendation Sur3fir3! I went with it after doing some more research. The neighborhood Feed & Seed store had a big bag available and I used a small children's nose mister do spread it around the floors in my house. I wore a respirator and while it created a 'chalky-like' cloud in the room, I never felt any irritation. I also ended up sprinkling it on my dog and rubbing it into his skin. After returning from dinner a couple hours later, I checked the dog and didn't see any more 'live' fleas. So far it looks like it's doing it's job! Kudos to your helpful tip!!
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

ladywhipple02 (09-06-2019),sur3fir3 (09-05-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Thanks for the great recommendation Sur3fir3! I went with it after doing some more research. The neighborhood Feed & Seed store had a big bag available and I used a small children's nose mister do spread it around the floors in my house. I wore a respirator and while it created a 'chalky-like' cloud in the room, I never felt any irritation. I also ended up sprinkling it on my dog and rubbing it into his skin. After returning from dinner a couple hours later, I checked the dog and didn't see any more 'live' fleas. So far it looks like it's doing it's job! Kudos to your helpful tip!!
    No problem, my pleasure!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    DE is nice and all, but its not safe to breathe in and i'd be very reluctant to use it inside my home on that scale. I would recommend Trifexis for your puppers instead. You can get a 3 or 6 month supply at any Petco that has a Vetco office in it. Its oral so you don't have to worry about getting it on you, your furniture or having them lick it off. It treats live fleas AND they're eggs, in addition to preventing heartworm (a MUST), hookworms, pinworms, and roundworms
    Captain of "The Good Ship Blip"

Thanks
    The pills amazed me. My cat got fleas and the upstairs was a flea haven. You could literally see them jumping at you and with khaki pants on, the number on my legs was obscene. I took said cat to the vet and they gave him a pill. By the time I got home every flea on him was dead in his carrying crate. I sent him upstairs as a biological weapon and he destroyed the infestation. After a thorough vacuum I never saw another flea. Powerful stuff. I can't remember the name but I remember it was expensive.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SMTHook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-12-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts
    Before getting my dogs on prescription oral meds, I tried the stuff you dab on between their shoulder blades & hated it! Not only was it not totally effective, but
    then when you pet your dog, you're touching the stuff, & if you have 2 dogs that play & wrestle each other, they can end up ingesting it off the other dog.

I've used DE before too, but not this way & not for fleas. I agree with Joykoins, I wouldn't want to be breathing that in my air space either.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-12-2019 at 11:24 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12