Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,557

4 members and 1,553 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Fleas Found On Dog - How to Treat w/ Snakes in the House

We found our dog was infested w/ fleas late last night and rushed out to find any meds we could. We applied some ointment to his body to kill the fleas but worried the house needs to be treated. I called our Pest Company and they have Flea Treatment which requires all human and pets to removed for 4 hours. Anyone dealt w/ this same scenario and have any advice?
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Registered User SilasHorn'sHerptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    if you can set up a generator that would be preferable however if weather isn't terrible your snakes will just be mildly uncomfortable for 4 hours. depending on the weather they may not notice. You're profile only lists two snakes so that is what I'm going off of.

Thanks

Re: Fleas Found On Dog - How to Treat w/ Snakes in the House

Quote Originally Posted by SilasHorn'sHerptiles View Post
    if you can set up a generator that would be preferable however if weather isn't terrible your snakes will just be mildly uncomfortable for 4 hours. depending on the weather they may not notice. You're profile only lists two snakes so that is what I'm going off of.
    Well if I can, I'm trying to avoid the '4 hour get stay out of the house treatment' and find other solutions to treating the house "if" it's infested. So far, we've only found fleas on the dog and the blanket he was laying on.

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Thanks
    If it's pretty warm in your area your ball python and bci might even enjoy some time outside if you can just move their enclosures and make sure the bci has some humidity. If its gonna rain or something then its a different story. Hope you can figure something out. Maybe someone else is more creative than me

Thanks

Have you tried treating the dog with flee drops? I had a dog with a bit of a flee problem once and was told by my vet to treat her and over the next few weeks the flees would bite her and die. It worked for us. I did a flee bath a really good vacuuming of the house and furniture then the drops on her back and we were good. Now I'm good about keeping up with the drops.
    Last edited by gunkle; 09-05-2019 at 12:24 PM.
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    0.1 Super Pastel Lesser Ball Python
    1.0 Pastel Bamboo Ball Python
    0.0.1 Halmahera Blue Tongue Skink
    0.0.2 Crested Gecko
    1.2.Guinea Pigs
    1.0 Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Toad
    0.1 Iguana
    0.1 Dog
    0.2 Cats

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gunkle For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-05-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    My dogs are on oral Rx medication for fleas and it's totally effective...no fleas ever since. Before that, the stuff you dab on their coats externally were not totally
    working, & I have quite a few snakes...having my house infested was NOT an option.

My question for the pest control company is what if you have birds? Does the 4 hour removal for safety still apply? Birds are more sensitive...as are reptiles...to the
    sort of things they'll use on your home. They may not know or care if any harm will come to snakes, but they should be able to tell you if it's safe enough for birds
    after 4 hours. If it won't harm birds, it should be safe for snakes.

I would be inclined to keep my snakes away for at least a day anyway, and I'd do as I've done for emergency power outage during an ice storm*. Maybe you can
    keep them at a friend or family's location for just a bit? *bag each snake in secured (!) pillow case, & put that into an "ice chest" (or styro-foam box), with a jar of
    hot water for warmth; change the hot water about every 8-9 hours...they'll be just fine.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SilasHorn'sHerptiles View Post
    If it's pretty warm in your area your ball python and bci might even enjoy some time outside if you can just move their enclosures and make sure the bci has some humidity. If its gonna rain or something then its a different story. Hope you can figure something out. Maybe someone else is more creative than me
    Please do NOT do this! Enclosures outside become over-heated death traps in the sunshine (& remember that shady spots often do not stay shady!). Snakes can die from
    heat stroke, glass or other enclosures tend to magnify & retain the warmth. I repeat...this is NOT a safe option.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-05-2019 at 12:49 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (09-05-2019),ckuhn003 (09-05-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gunkle View Post
    Have you tried treating the dog with flee drops? I had a dog with a bit of a flee problem once and was told by my vet to treat her and over the next few weeks the flees would bite her and die. It worked for us. I did a flee bath a really good vacuuming of the house and furniture then the drops on her back and we were good. Now I'm good about keeping up with the drops.
    Yes, so the drops were available late last night at the local cvs. It's like Frontline where you drag the liquid down the back of the dog. I also purchased Capstar which are oral meds recommended by every vet I spoke with. I think this will do the trick for the dog. My concern was 'if' and 'how much' the house might be infested. I don't see any yet in the house and I've been vacuuming and washing all the linens.

Bombing the house is the last resort and I would never consider leaving the snakes outside.

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (09-05-2019),Bogertophis (09-05-2019)

Thanks
    with the snakes being outside my assumption was them being closely monitored I didn't mean to suggest anything dangerous. I definitely see how that came off as leave the enclosure outside they'll be great. Again very sorry will make sure not to be so quick to post without proofreading next time. Either way outside isn't a great option you'll be moving them around quite a bit. Hope the drops work well. Good luck.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SilasHorn'sHerptiles For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (09-05-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    This is my recommendation. Use diatomaceous Earth. sorry about the big font it copied from the website. So I used this stuff on many things from bed bugs to ants. Basically what I did was take a pillow case and fill it with some daitomaceaous earth and hit it against anything u want it to be on. It works well in carpets on beds, on drapes, just about any fabric. This stuff is food quality and it can be ingested with no side effects. This stuff is not meant to be the primary way of getting rid of the fleas. This is meant to be used in conjunction with other natural or non natural methods. Do your research on this stuff before you buy it. The only way in which this stuff can even be mildy dangerous is when inhaled. But even then it just irritates the airways. So after you put it on the carpet the first time wear a mask when you vacuum. I didn't wear a mask when I vacuumed, and had no issues.

Another natural way to handle fleas is with Neem oil.

*note* doing it the natural way will take a while before they are all gone.. Since you got the drops already I would recommend making a neem oil spray to spray down everything you can. let that dry, and then apply the DE.

another way to apply DE is with a sifter, but i find that you end up with piles of it instead of a fine dusting when you use a sifter.
    Last edited by sur3fir3; 09-05-2019 at 02:59 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sur3fir3 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-05-2019),ladywhipple02 (09-05-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast