Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 891

0 members and 891 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Question Habitat/Food Advice

Hello!

My kid excitedly got a baby Ball Python and a habitat in January this year.

The snake has grown quite a bit since then and is eating well and shedding, so I'm not overly concerned about it, but the kid was away for a few weeks and while caring for the snake I noticed that it hangs out on the opposite side of the tank from the lights and the hide.

I have a few photos for your review:
    https://imgur.com/a/zL85A0d

Three questions:

1) Is the habitat large enough for the now larger snake?
    2) Is the lighting setup (white light on a daytime timer and IR light on all the time) a bit too much (there's also a heat pad under the water bowl side)?
    3) We've been feeding a Medium Mouse from Arctic Mice once a week, should we go larger?

Thanks for your time and attention!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts
    What's the wattage of the IR bulb? It's probably too hot. You can use an infrared heat gun to measure though:

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lase...dp/B00837ZGRY/

Edit: Also, I just saw the uth was on the water side. That's probably why he's over there. But my concern would be that if the side with the ir bulb is too hot, you don't have a temperature gradient for him to thermoregulate.

Plus, there should really be two hides, one cool and one hot.
    Last edited by wnateg; 09-04-2019 at 10:07 PM.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

Thanks
    Agreed that it looks like it might be too hot. What are the temperatures in the tank? There should be one warm end in the range of 88-92F and a cool end with temps from 77-80F. Are all lights/heat sources regulated by thermostats? BPs also don't like bright light and want a dark place to hide, so this snake would benefit from two hides, one on the side with the lamps and one on the other side.

As long as the snake can stretch out fully in the enclosure, it's a good size. It's hard to say for sure looking at the photo of the BP coiled up, but I think your enclosure size looks fine for that BP.

Nice banana morph BP by the way and welcome to the forum!

Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Habitat/Food Advice

Quote Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    What's the wattage
    I just checked and the white light looks to be 100w and the IR 75w.

I'm planning on getting two thermometers for the tank soon so we can better dial things in.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    You need a few things.

1. Thermostat for all heat sources
    2. Digital Thermometer and Hygrometer
    3. IR Temperature gun
    4. 2 Hides
    5. CHE

First is a thermostat for heat sources. you need one tstat for each source (These are in order from most important to least important.)
    2nd is a digital thermometer and Hygrometer (humidity gauge)
    3rd is a gun to measure temp
    4th is a second Hide.
    5th Replace the light bulbs with a CHE. Since the BP doesn't need a light source more than a regular bulb I don't think you need the light bulbs. a CHE is better because it generates heat with no light.

Now for cage size, that is an appropriate size. Now for feeding the Mouse should be 10-15 % of the weight of the BP. Also if you have access I would try to switch him to Rats when you can.

Please make note that you need to have the thermometer and tstat BEFORE you bring the snake home. Just make note of that for the future.
    Last edited by sur3fir3; 09-05-2019 at 11:38 AM.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    What are the surface temperatures?
    How are you regulating your heat sources?
    You are better off with a temperature gun.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Hello, welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of snake keeping.

Based on the description and pics there are a few things to point out...

1) I don't see any mention of thermostats?? VERY IMPORTANT - ALL HEAT SOURCES MUST BE REGULATED BY A THERMOSTAT.

PLEASE unplug your heating equipment until you get them regulated by thermostats.
    Those heat mats can spike to temps over 120° which can cause serious burns or even be fatal for the animal. Unregulated heat lamps can also spike enough to "cook" a snake.

2) I don't see any thermometers or hygrometers?? How can you monitor temps and humidity without?

3) Where are the hides? There should be at least two so the animal can hide and thermoregulate without choosing temps over security or vice versa.

4) Aspen substrate doesn't hold humidity well at all. You may want to switch substrates. But until you know your humidity you won't know if a better substrate is needed.

5) Your snake is curled up in a corner on the opposite side of the lamps cause it's way too hot over there. There's no way you need two bulbs on such a small enclosure.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Habitat/Food Advice

Quote Originally Posted by sur3fir3 View Post
    You need a few things.

1. Thermostat for all heat sources
    2. Digital Thermometer and Hygrometer
    3. IR Temperature gun
    4. 2 Hides
    5. CHE

First is a thermostat for heat sources. you need one tstat for each source (These are in order from most important to least important.)
    2nd is a digital thermometer and Hygrometer (humidity gauge)
    3rd is a gun to measure temp
    4th is a second Hide.
    5th Replace the light bulbs with a CHE. Since the BP doesn't need a light source more than a regular bulb I don't think you need the light bulbs. a CHE is better because it generates heat with no light.

Now for cage size, that is an appropriate size. Now for feeding the Mouse should be 10-15 % of the weight of the BP. Also if you have access I would try to switch him to Rats when you can.

Please make note that you need to have the thermometer and tstat BEFORE you bring the snake home. Just make note of that for the future.
    I did not notice that you had no hides. Get a hide asap. you can make it out of a plastic bowl or bottom of a flower pot.

Thanks
    Looks like everyone above covered everything but I'd like to emphasize that the ball python definitely needs a hide on each side as that is what ball pythons like to do is hide in a cozy little hide perfect for their size. One on a cool side of around 80 degrees and one on a warm side of around 90 degrees.