Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,126

2 members and 3,124 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I think you have the thermostat and thermometer confused. Thermometer measures temps. Thermostats, like the one for your house air conditioning, controls the temp. Without a thermostat, those heat pads or lamps will get hot and cook your pet. For example, a heat pad can have temps over 99F if a thermostat does not control it at a safe temp of around 90-93F. You can pick up a thermostat on Amazon for about $35-45 and a digital thermometer at most pet stores (Temp guns are available on Amazon too).

Humid hides are not only for shedding purposes. In the wild, these lizards would spend a lot of time during the hot days hiding in between rocks or small burrows where it is cooler (Hence I don't go hotter than 90F on my UTH but many owners go up to 95F, which is fine too. Fortunately lizards are not like snakes and know when to move away and they are hardy as heck) and humid. My leo would use it almost all the time. I think it provides some stimulation for them too. Also, your gecko can decide for himself when he needs the humidity for shedding or not, instead of raising the entire tank's humidity which is not good for them.
    Last edited by Cheesenugget; 09-05-2019 at 07:05 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Awesomethepossum (09-05-2019)

Thanks

Re: My 1 1/2 year old leopard gecko

Quote Originally Posted by Jaime_ls3 View Post
    If you mean the heat pad. No I do not have it hooked up to a thermostat. I dont have it connecting when it's hot like these days (i live in california and it's like 100 outside for 2 months everyday in summer).when the heat pad is connected in the summer it doesnt like to lay above where it is at.

During the day my ambient air temp (according to the guage) is at about 80°F.i have never had a basking spot for Riley, as a he gets far away from both 75watt and heat pad areas when they are on day or night. He will actually just lay right outside in of any hiding area.

I will need to invest in a digital thermostat as I truly do not know what the temps are like...they may be higher then 80 ambient. The heat pad on the floor beats me but it may be high cause when it's on it doesnt like to lay near it especially in these summer days

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    To make a leopard gecko happy, you need:

-A 20 gallon tank minimum for an adult (floor space is preferred over height). They need a temperature gradient to thermoregulate.

-An appropriately sized UTH (under tank heater) on one side, under the outside of the tank, to provide belly heat (which is crucial for digestion)

-A thermostat (method of temp regulation), which the UTH needs to be plugged into. With this, you can set the UTH at a specific temperature, and it will be maintained in this way. These thermostats have a probe, which senses the temp at the site it is placed. Some put the probe under the tank directly ol n the UTH, whole others secure it inside the tank. Again, directly on the UTH.

-Appropriate flooring/substrate: Paper towels are easy to clean and safe, so this is preferred for most. Some use play sand (never use calci-sand, or anything else) but with any loose substrate there is always a risk of impaction, as leos lick everything.

-Hides: There needs to be at least one hide on each end of the tank. They need to be large enough for the leo to hide and feel secure.

-A humid hide, with moss, to aid in shedding (without proper humidity, shed skin can be retained on areas, such as toes and can result in constriction (which results in loss of toes)). If proper humidity isn't allowed, the leo can also develop respiratory infections or even bacterial infections in the eyes.

-A temp gun, to manually gauge temperatures in the tank with accuracy. This is a must-have.

-An appropriately-sized water dish, which can also help provide some humidity if needed.

-A CHE, or an additional source of heat which can be used as needed ti maintain a proper temp gradient. This must also be hooked to a thermostat.

- Supplementation. Multivitamins, as well as calcium with vitamin D. Feeders should be dusted regularly, but not daily.

I also provide a dish with some calcium at all times, although some may disagree.
    Last edited by Awesomethepossum; 09-05-2019 at 10:04 AM.

Thanks
    If you find him trying to escape heat, or constantly hiding on the coolest end of the tank, that could indicate he is overheating- which is why the temp gun is important. You mention temps of 100 degrees for 2 months. Make sure his tank never reaches those heights, and if this becomes a risk of occurring, move his tank to a cooler, more appropriate area of your house (which you can even determine with the temp gun) and away from windows, or direct sunlight. Dehydration, heat stroke and even death become a risk in those conditions. They need to be able to move about their tank to regulate their body temps- be it 92-95 degrees, or 73-75.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    If you can get a Herpstat 2. This will resolve your heating issues. The reason i say a Herpstat is it has Bask Assist which really helps when using overhead bulbs. I realize its a bit expensive, but it is worth it. I love my Herpstat. I have it powering my heat tape in a VE-6. You can go with a cheaper option, but a word of warning. You will end up spending more in the long run if you get a cheap Tstat. Herpstats last for a long time, while the cheap ones die out within 3 years. Personally I'd rather have peace of mind.https://www.spyderrobotics.com/index...products_id=26 They are $195.

Thanks

Thanks for the extra tips and extra knowledge to take the best care of my leopard. I have some about half of everything right. The temp area (which happens to be the most important) is what I will need to work more on. Will definitely take it serious and consider getting these products for the safety of Riley!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaime_ls3 For This Useful Post:

Awesomethepossum (09-05-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jaime_ls3 View Post
    Thanks for the extra tips and extra knowledge to take the best care of my leopard. I have some about half of everything right. The temp area (which happens to be the most important) is what I will need to work more on. Will definitely take it serious and consider getting these products for the safety of Riley!!!

Leopard geckos are amazing pets, and with the right care can live a very long time. You clearly care about Riley, otherwise you wouldn't have come on the forums Keep doing your research, but yes, please consider getting a thermostat and a temp gun. I wish both of you the best.
    Last edited by Awesomethepossum; 09-05-2019 at 06:09 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12