Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,215

1 members and 2,214 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

My 1 1/2 year old leopard gecko

Guys meet Riley! Never posted my Gecko anywhere on the internet till now

He is the laziest thing I have ever seen!

He loves being taken out and feasting on crickets especially! The poor little thing sucks at eating so I MUST hand feed it directly to its mouth most of the time. It can catch on it's own but fails more the half the time haha

It also loves to climb just about everything and inevitably fall off all the time.

These are the lights I use for it at night. A 25watt one for summer and 75 watt for when it gets cold.
    It doesnt like the 75watt in summer. It gets as far away from it as possible. Too hot most likely. He has his heat pad right beneath where he sleeps.

I have its sleeping place to face the outside as it got so used to it having like that when it was small. When I face it the other way so it can be hidden, he sleeps on the outside of it near the glass. Idk he is just a weirdo. I never had a true hiding spot but I will need to upgrade from the small grey one has for a bigger proper one.

Can anyone give me pointers because I probably need some?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: My 1 1/2 year old leopard gecko

A couple of more dumb pictures

Thanks
    Aww, Riley is very cute. Your "dumb pictures" aren't dumb to me, they are adorable, I love that little face.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jaime_ls3 View Post
    Guys meet Riley! Never posted my Gecko anywhere on the internet till now

He is the laziest thing I have ever seen!

He loves being taken out and feasting on crickets especially! The poor little thing sucks at eating so I MUST hand feed it directly to its mouth most of the time. It can catch on it's own but fails more the half the time haha

It also loves to climb just about everything and inevitably fall off all the time.

These are the lights I use for it at night. A 25watt one for summer and 75 watt for when it gets cold.
    It doesnt like the 75watt in summer. It gets as far away from it as possible. Too hot most likely. He has his heat pad right beneath where he sleeps.

I have its sleeping place to face the outside as it got so used to it having like that when it was small. When I face it the other way so it can be hidden, he sleeps on the outside of it near the glass. Idk he is just a weirdo. I never had a true hiding spot but I will need to upgrade from the small grey one has for a bigger proper one.

Can anyone give me pointers because I probably need some?

He reminds me a bit of my two eldest leos; my female (Super hypo tangerine) who is about 8 1/2, and my male (Super hypo tangerine carrot tail baldy) who is 8.

I keep my leos in 20 gallons (my two females share one and have done so for 7 or so years now. I know some would disagree with this.), and Atticus, my male, is housed on his own. The 20 gallon long is perfect for providing a solid temp gradient in my opinion, and I provide numerous hiding places throughout the length of the tank, which allow them to feel hidden and secure.

Do you have the UTH hooked up to a thermostat?

I would get a temp gun, if you don't already have one. Too hot, or too cold can be very dangerous or cause other health problems. Those tank thermometers can be off by 10 degrees or more. And do you provide a humid hide?

My geckos have a basking temp of approximately 92, air temps between 80-85, and the coolest end is no lower than 70 degrees, but is right about 75. I provide a ceramic heat emitter during the cooler months.

I am very wary with allowing them branches to climb, as leopard geckos are very clumsy climbers. They'll try anyway of course, but a bad fall can cause injury. I only mention this as my boyfriend had a leo, and provided branches in the tank. The little guy tried to climb, then slipped and broke it's leg. Not meant to be morbid, but just a word of caution.

Sorry to hammer you with questions, but these things are important. I will say, he looks very healthy with a nicely plump tail.
    Last edited by Awesomethepossum; 09-04-2019 at 09:15 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    My leo won't eat crickets but he will eat worms if I hand feed him. He sucks at hunting too even when a bowl of worms is provided.

Leos are amazingly easy to care for. To save some money, you can check out some plastic plant dishes or a small bowl at a dollar store. Cut a hole and it is ready to go. I can't tell if you have a humid hide but I strongly recommend having one to avoid any potential shedding issues. You can pick up a plastic container, cut a hole and add wet moss (Buy it from a hardware store) inside to make a humid hide.

And that stick on temperature gauge is not accurate. You will need to measure temps using a digital thermometer or temp gun. I use UTH with a thermostat and skip the lights if the room temp is around 77-80F.

Thanks
    In one of the pictures, I see him on loose substrate...but others on paper towels? Is he currently on paper towels?

If not, I would recommend switching back. Loose substrate like that makes for a very high risk of impaction.
    Last edited by Awesomethepossum; 09-04-2019 at 09:39 PM.

Thanks

I used to have substrate above its grey hide which is too small now.when it was shedding time I would spray water on the substrate and inside the gray hideout. I have recently got rid of the substrate as I read it can grow bacteria.everything is on paper towels now.

I have not gotten a chance to make a humid area but a container with moss sounds perfect and ima switch to that for shedding now.

I do not have a digital thermostat but now I think I should buy a couple for my new baby chinese dragon as well. One with both humidity and temps.

I put the peice of branch in there last night just to see what it would do with it. It just ignores it. It was meant for my water dragon but I'm waiting for parts to come in so I can make the water dragon's terrarium. I will take it out.

One thing I should definitely do is get a couple more hides and get rid of the rock 2 fake plants

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Awesomethepossum View Post

Do you have the UTH hooked up to a thermostat?
    If you mean the heat pad. No I do not have it hooked up to a thermostat. I dont have it connecting when it's hot like these days (i live in california and it's like 100 outside for 2 months everyday in summer).when the heat pad is connected in the summer it doesnt like to lay above where it is at.

During the day my ambient air temp (according to the guage) is at about 80°F.i have never had a basking spot for Riley, as a he gets far away from both 75watt and heat pad areas when they are on day or night. He will actually just lay right outside in of any hiding area.

I will need to invest in a digital thermostat as I truly do not know what the temps are like...they may be higher then 80 ambient. The heat pad on the floor beats me but it may be high cause when it's on it doesnt like to lay near it especially in these summer days

Thanks

Uth
    "Under tank heater"
    Got it!
    Sorry new to this reptile forum lingo

Thanks

Little Riley just watched a 1 hour episode of "the 100" on netdlix... literally did not move for an hour and started the the 55 inch tv in my room!!!now it had enough and it walking about on the bed. Time to put him back

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast