Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,956

2 members and 2,954 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Striking the Glass

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Yes, he's done it when there's no prey in the room. Not often but it has happened. I think he's smart enough to realize when it's getting close to food time and that when the lights are off he 'might' get fed. My guess, in the year I've had him, he's don't it 6-8 times.

bp* not boo. Lol. Autocorrect. Anyways. If he’s only doing it with the lights off maybe try covering the front before you turn the lights off.

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Boas can be highly responsive to food and quite a few of mine strike the cage front on feeding day (and one strikes anytime he sees a shadow or movement which is super annoying). I wouldn't really worry about it. The only thing that can sometimes happen if they strike badly, they can catch a tooth on a lip, normally I'll (with help) open their mouth to fix it for them, however this doesn't happen very often thank goodness.

Here's the part in Behira's thread where we talked about it:
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...70#post2601470
    For the Horde!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Waterman View Post
    bp* not boo. Lol. Autocorrect. Anyways. If he’s only doing it with the lights off maybe try covering the front before you turn the lights off.
    The lights are on a timer which makes it difficult to cover when they go off.

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    Boas can be highly responsive to food and quite a few of mine strike the cage front on feeding day (and one strikes anytime he sees a shadow or movement which is super annoying). I wouldn't really worry about it. The only thing that can sometimes happen if they strike badly, they can catch a tooth on a lip, normally I'll (with help) open their mouth to fix it for them, however this doesn't happen very often thank goodness.

Here's the part in Behira's thread where we talked about it:
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...70#post2601470
    Thanks April for the link. I'll check it out!
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,489 Times in 2,686 Posts

Sounds like he's still a bit hungry CK. Are you doubling up on those mice? Hopefully the larger prey items will mellow him out a bit.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Sounds like he's still a bit hungry CK. Are you doubling up on those mice? Hopefully the larger prey items will mellow him out a bit.
    What's up Ziggy...... No, I've never doubled up on the feeding but I believe you're right that it might not be enough for him. Luckily, I think I only have two more adult mice before I order a bigger size.
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    to add - i shouldn't say "the ONLY" thing that can happen is the tooth issue, as yes, repeated may cause other mouth issues as Bogertophis brought up. Just that the tooth thing is the worst thing I've had happen.
    I've had the mouth injury that required surgery related to constant rubbing or pushing, not from striking. I should have clarified that above.
    For the Horde!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (09-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    They can remain foody for a while. I would just cover the front of the enclosure with a light blanket for a day after he eats, to give him time to settle down and start digesting.
    I have to do this with one of mine. She is in beast mode for about 24 hours after getting a whiff of rat. if I don't, she will tag the glass anytime she senses movement in the room.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (10-03-2019)

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts
    My big jungle female is like this, too. It's gotten worse as I've had her, but I do notice a positive impact if I spend more time going into the snake room and just walking around or interacting with her vs staying out of the snake room. Even if I just come in the room a couple times a day and walk around without food, that seems to help her to sit, wait, and see vs strike at the first sign of movement. I always have a hook on hand, and she quickly drops her food response once I actually get my hands on her, but even the vibrations of my foot steps can set her off, so covering her enclosure wouldn't help.

Feeding a responsive snake more food is not the way address their behaviors, as they could easily become obese which will cause a whole host of health issues, and more often than not, won't even impact their behavior. I've had 2 snakes (including my jungle girl) who are always ravenous. One was one of my garters, and he would actually jump out of the tank and latch onto my finger sometimes. I tried for a year to give him as many pinks as he would eat in one sitting as often as he would take them, and even after all that time, I noticed zero improvement. So on a diet he went because he was almost as heavy as my other garter half a foot longer than him. lol With the boa, I tried feeding her two jumbos to see if more food would help, and she just continued hitting the glass wanting more. She's a breeder, so I don't want her fat, so that was the end of that. She's definitely not starving, either, she's maintaining her body structure and has even gained weight. So guess it's just something I have to deal with. lol

Kinda like my mom's cat that will eat everything and anything, and even chase the other cats out of their food. It's like some animals just lack that part of the brain to tell them they're full.
    Last edited by CloudtheBoa; 10-03-2019 at 09:43 PM.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-20-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    "The lights are on a timer which makes it difficult to cover when they go off."

Just cover the front for now. Paper an tape are cheap. My Boas eat at ten days an the BPs at seven. I get the glass tapping when the Boas smell food an think I forgot them.

Boas, the only snakes that have tagged me because I fed an smelled like horses.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-20-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    ...Boas, the only snakes that have tagged me because I fed an smelled like horses.
    Never heard that one before but I sure don't doubt it either.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

303_enfield (10-20-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12