Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,808

0 members and 2,808 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Games...

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I actually enjoy the games. They are in off Topic. Off Topic is what it says. I dunno I think over time we will see what games stay and which don't. Its not like people are going into the Boa Category and are posting games in there. If its such a big issue take Off Topic out of the first page.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: Games...

Quote Originally Posted by sur3fir3 View Post
    I actually enjoy the games. They are in off Topic. Off Topic is what it says. I dunno I think over time we will see what games stay and which don't. Its not like people are going into the Boa Category and are posting games in there. If its such a big issue take Off Topic out of the first page.
    Maybe that’s the answer .. just exclude them off the ‘latest posts’

I dislike games BUT others LOVE them .. I guess if they keep or encourage people in the forum then they’re a bonus .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-04-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I enjoy some of the games, but yeah, all of a sudden there were like 6 or 7 of them on my front page. I enjoy playing crossword puzzles and other word games, they keep my mind active. I enjoy Drop One/Add One and Word Association, it's fun to see how different minds work.

I would like to know, for the mods and admins, is it a pain in the butt to moderate all the games? I would imagine they have to be monitored for language or other TOS infractions. So from that perspective, I think it should be limited to a few games at most.

On the other side, they're easier enough to skip over if you don't choose to participate. But I can see how it can be annoying when a bunch of them clutter up the front page.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rlditmars View Post
    I believe the issue is that while they are in the "Off Topic" category, they appear on the first page when you log in. So out of the 30 threads, 4 of them are games. That's over 10%. If the game posts were contained to the "Off Topic" forum without appearing on the front page, I would have no issue with them. But a new person coming on here sees this and you have to wonder, what is their first impression of this community? If you look at the thread with the most posts you would think that is worth a read, but instead, it turns out to be a game. I myself don't care for them as I fail to see the value. To me, they are neither informative or entertaining, but that's just me.
    This, totally. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

As off-topic, who cares? they're ok & I play some too, but we just don't want our front page full of irrelevant stuff..."first impressions" eh? So if they cannot be contained
    somehow (& this is a question for those in charge) I'd rather they mostly disappear for the good of the forum. They should not be a distraction.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would like to know, for the mods and admins, is it a pain in the butt to moderate all the games? I would imagine they have to be monitored for language or other TOS infractions. So from that perspective, I think it should be limited to a few games at most.
    Games do mean additional work for the staff which mean either less time to moderate other things or offer advice, and at the rate those game have been added in the past few days or brought back from the dead (12 years old game) from people who have obviously nothing better to do it's only gonna get worse.

Personally if 85% of my time here is dedicated to game moderation (7 of them well minus one as of last night ) I will spend a lot less time here, that's from the moderation stand point for them member stand point I would also spend less time here.

1 game, 2 games an off topic thread every now and than are ok but if this is all we are about now playing games and wondering if pineapple belong on a pizza I might as well join a facebook group
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (09-04-2019),Bogertophis (09-04-2019),Craiga 01453 (09-04-2019),dakski (09-04-2019),jmcrook (09-05-2019),PitOnTheProwl (09-04-2019),rlditmars (09-04-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Is there anyway to make a games section? I just really enjoy the games I'd hate to see them go away.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sur3fir3 View Post
    Is there anyway to make a games section? I just really enjoy the games I'd hate to see them go away.
    This is what I have suggested yesterday in the mod room and this is currently being worked on.
    Deborah Stewart

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (09-04-2019),Bogertophis (09-04-2019),Craiga 01453 (09-04-2019),MasonC2K (09-04-2019),sur3fir3 (09-04-2019)

Thanks

While I don't post nearly as much as I used to, and I'm certainly guilty of posting in the "add one drop one" a couple times.....I kinda feel like people reply to the game posts to pump up their post count to crazy high numbers. You can rattle off 20 replies in a half hour pretty easy instead of posting relevant, helpful information lol.
    Last edited by KevinK; 09-04-2019 at 11:33 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to KevinK For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (09-04-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    Games do mean additional work for the staff which mean either less time to moderate other things or offer advice, and at the rate those game have been added in the past few days or brought back from the dead (12 years old game) from people who have obviously nothing better to do it's only gonna get worse.

Personally if 85% of my time here is dedicated to game moderation (7 of them well minus one as of last night ) I will spend a lot less time here, that's from the moderation stand point for them member stand point I would also spend less time here.

1 game, 2 games an off topic thread every now and than are ok but if this is all we are about now playing games and wondering if pineapple belong on a pizza I might as well join a facebook group
    Thanks Deb. That's what I figured.

So my two cents would be to limit the games, maybe just keep the "big 2"???

It seems like a waste of fantastic resources if Deb and the others are forced to spend time moderating games that aren't relevant to why we're all here in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy participating in some of the games.
    But....I came here for the snakes, I'll stay for the snakes, and I do think it's time to reconsider how we're using our resources.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    Thanks Deb. That's what I figured.

So my two cents would be to limit the games, maybe just keep the "big 2"???

It seems like a waste of fantastic resources if Deb and the others are forced to spend time moderating games that aren't relevant to why we're all here in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy participating in some of the games.
    But....I came here for the snakes, I'll stay for the snakes, and I do think it's time to reconsider how we're using our resources.
    Can’t the games people moderate their games , maybe ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast