Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,903

0 members and 2,903 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Re: Need help with next snake decision

Quote Originally Posted by ArmedPT View Post
    And temperament? (I understand each individual can be different).
    The male is actually really chill, curious, and easy to handle. Typical boa food response but once he knows he's not getting fed he's fine.

The female is flightier but still easily managed. She just dropped a litter a few weeks ago so right now she's more likely to strike at anything that moves - she's HUNGRY.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

ArmedPT (09-06-2019),richardhind1972 (09-06-2019)

Thanks
    Have you thought about carpet pythons?

Papuan (or Irian Jaya) carpet pythons stay small and share a lot of the features i've seen you mention (inquisitiveness, can be purchased for under $200 etc). They are semi-arboreal and will climb a lot, especially when young. They also have a lot of variation in their pattern/coloring as well, which is fun.

- Summer

0.1 Bearded Dragon ("Reka")
    0.1 California Kingsnake ("Cleo")
    0.1 Cinnamon Spider Het. Albino Ball Python ("Syd")
    1.0 Hypo Bredl’s Python (“Oz”)

Thanks

Need help with next snake decision

Quote Originally Posted by alittleFREE View Post
    Have you thought about carpet pythons?

Papuan (or Irian Jaya) carpet pythons stay small and share a lot of the features i've seen you mention (inquisitiveness, can be purchased for under $200 etc). They are semi-arboreal and will climb a lot, especially when young. They also have a lot of variation in their pattern/coloring as well, which is fun.
    I actually own an IJ LOL! She’s my little girl. You are certainly right, carpets are very inquisitive. Maybe a snake with a more lazy reputation to complement my carpet, like a Dum or SSTP

Glad to see we think alike tho!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ArmedPT; 09-06-2019 at 06:59 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I love the Dumerils color, but I say get s SSTP. Everyone should have a STP

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sur3fir3 View Post
    I love the Dumerils color, but I say get s SSTP. Everyone should have a STP
    And what is your favorite thing about them?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

Welcome to the forum ArmedPT! You and I share a very similar taste in snakes.

I can second dakski's recommendation of Tommy Carpenter and Vin Russo for locality boas. Both respond well to email, and I've actually traded emails with both of them this week regarding boa availability. Their Facebook pages are a good place to look to see what litters are being born.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you, though in my case I may be picking my first snake up this weekend. If you don't mind me asking, was your IJ your first snake? Do you think an IJ would be overwhelming for a beginner? My shortlist is currently ball pythons, IJ carpets, and dwarf-to-medium locality boas (though I am entertaining the possibility of a male BI as well), and I'd love to hear more from owners of the last two before I take the plunge.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WrongPython View Post

I can second dakski's recommendation of Tommy Carpenter and Vin Russo for locality boas. Both respond well to email, and I've actually traded emails with both of them this week regarding boa availability. Their Facebook pages are a good place to look to see what litters are being born.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you, though in my case I may be picking my first snake up this weekend. If you don't mind me asking, was your IJ your first snake? Do you think an IJ would be overwhelming for a beginner? My shortlist is currently ball pythons, IJ carpets, and dwarf-to-medium locality boas (though I am entertaining the possibility of a male BI as well), and I'd love to hear more from owners of the last two before I take the plunge.
    WrongPython,

I'll respond to your post here, but it's applicable to the thread as well.

I do not recommend Carpet Pythons as first pets, even smaller ones (like IJ and Darwin).

1. They can be nippy as young snakes

2. They are more susceptible than a Boa, or even a BP, to illness, such as Respiratory Infections (RI). My guy, Yafe, who as a thread here, got lost by fedex and had a full blown RI when he arrived. It took a lot time, dedication, and money, to get him back to good health and keep him there. Temps, humidity, and overall good husbandry (proper hides, climbing branches for a carpet python, cleanliness, etc) are key to maintaining the health of carpets, especially young ones. It's not just me. Not sure if you ever watch Cliff's Reptiles channel on youtube, but he took in a jungle carpet and the stress of the move (an adult snake mind you) caused him to get a terrible RI. He was able to save his life, but he's an experienced keeper, I am an experienced keeper, and that goes a long way if you have or get a sick animal.

3. They need really nice setups with height and branches/perches, etc.

The pros of these snakes are they are great display animals, calm down (generally) with age (although I totally lucked out with Yafe and did tell the breeder I wanted the calmest snake he had), and are great feeders. They are also inquisitive and fun to handle.

Frankly, I started with BP's but I am not sure they are best starter snake either because of the need for proper husbandry as well and the propensity for them to be picky eaters and go on fasts for long periods (my BP Shayna doesn't eat 4-5 months of the year like clockwork). Again, experienced keepers understand and have lived through these things, and we usually do not get upset (too much).

Boas are great snakes especially if you get one with a good temperament (which as stated earlier can be tricky with locale boas, but working with a good breeder means you might have better luck both with species and the individual). They are a little less sensitive to husbandry (both from what I've heard and experience) than Carpet Pythons, but in-line with a BP. Temps and humidity are pivotal. I would ask your breeder about any locale you get because that can differ. BI's are pretty bullet proof, but BCC's not as much. You are not looking for a huge snake, hence a male BI or locale boa, so BCC is off the table, but I wanted to mention it.

The two cons to boas are the size (less so with a male BI - and he will take a long time to get even male BI big) and for a new keeper especially, an epic feeding response. That can be intimidating to a new keeper, especially as they gain size.

Having said that, I adore my two boas and they are best snakes I have to handle. They are inquisitive, but calm and docile, and don't seem to mind being handled or get stressed to easily once really settled.

Frankly, and it's blasphemy on this site, as much as I love my BP Shayna, if I had to do it all over again, and could only have one snake, it would be a boa.

Yafe my carpet is awesome as well, but he tends to stress a little with too much handling at a time. Behira and Feliz (BI and BCC) both tend to get so comfortable being out, they often fall asleep in my lap. Shayna is the same way in terms of getting stressed/tired of handling fairly quickly. Yafe is improving with every handling session, and he was sick for a long time, so even though I've had almost a year, he has only been handled frequently the past 3-4 months.

You seem stuck on boas and pythons, and that's fine, but I also keep 2 corn snakes 20+ years into reptile keeping. They are so easy to care for and have great dispositions. I highly recommend them to people getting their feet wet in reptiles, who are unfamiliar with keeping humidity and temps perfect and also those not wanting to spend $500+ on a single setup for a snake. For proper home for a Carpet, Ball, or Boa, you will eventually, if not sooner, spend that to get a Boaphile, AP, etc. with proper heating elements and to have enclosure that keeps humidity and temps stable and proper. Add in thermostat(s), hides, water bowls, food items, etc. and you well past that mark. Also add perches for a carpet python.

Going back to the beginning, Carpets are fine if you can take a bite and give proper husbandry.

If you are already talking with Vin and Tommy, they can help you with enclosure needs, or at least what the Boa in question needs. We can help here with who to go to for proper enclosures.

I've said a lot here, but remember, you are making a 20+ year commitment with a boa or python. You want to make the right choice. I am not telling you what to do at all, but rather passing on my wisdom.

Finally, I recommend hook training all boas, carpet pythons, and anything that has a strong food response and can, at size, cause damage. I have a thread on here about that and can send you the link if you want.

Any further questions, post here, or PM me. I might be in white plains this weekend for the show, if that's where you were planning on going, and would be happy to meet up and discuss further, if I go. I believe Vin will be at the show as well.

On that note, going to a show, a reptile pet shop, etc. to see adult versions of these snakes and hold them, etc. might make sense too.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (09-07-2019),WrongPython (09-07-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WrongPython View Post

I had a ball python when I was a teenager in the 90s, died of parasites. Pretty sure he was not captive bred like they told me.

Currently my IJ is my only snake. I am in love with her. Eats like a champ, immediately responded to strokes with her hook to bring her out of her enclosure, and has never once struck. Very inquisitive, even lets my kids handle her with my supervision. I almost thought about just getting another IJ but like most of us I like the variety.
    Truthfully any beginner would be able to keep an IJ as long as you do your research and provide appropriate husbandry.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ArmedPT For This Useful Post:

WrongPython (09-07-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

I miss-wrote.

It's CLINT'S Reptiles, not Cliff's Reptiles.

This is the video I was referring too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-TP5YnaEyY&t=336s

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

Thanks for the honest and informative responses guys! Conversations like this are why I joined the forum. I hadn't come across carpet pythons' sensitivity in the course of my reading, so thanks for letting me know. I'm striking carpet pythons from the "first snake" list and relegating them back to the wish list. Sorry for jacking your thread a bit, ArmedPT!

For what it's worth, the reason why I'm interested in mid-sized pythons and boas stems from some work with colubrids in the past. While I adored a corn snake I worked with, it left me desiring a snake with a little more substance/girth. Since I plan on keeping all of my snakes for life (all 20-40 years of it!), I'd like to keep my collection small and focus on the species that I want now and would still want in the future. The fact that I plan on giving all my snakes large (4'x2'x2' and up), naturalistic PVC enclosures when they're ready is also leading me to keep things small and focused - I've done a full budget for a 4'x2'x2' naturalistic enclosure and, yeah, I'll definitely be keeping things small for what those cost!

My tentative plan is to find the appropriate boa now, spend a few years learning and growing with said snake, and then look to adopt or take a re-homed ball python down the road. I would like to adopt/rescue a snake at some point, but now's just not the time.

You're correct in assuming I'm heading to White Plains. It's really more of a reconnaissance/fun trip with a colleague of mine (who happens to fairly knowledgeable/more experienced snake keeper) to try to meet some adult boas, check out Vin's table (and maybe get his opinion), and decide if I'd rather go the common boa vs. locality boa route. While I'm not hard-set on buying at the expo, I'm trying to do my due diligence in case I end up loving the snakes I meet there and happen to come across "the one." Whatever you do this weekend, have fun!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

dakski (09-07-2019)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast