Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,831

2 members and 2,829 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Need help with next snake decision

Greetings from Chicago! My name is Chris, this is my first post.

Well, I am excited for the NARBC that is coming near me to Tinlay Park in October. I will be looking for my next addition, and I was wondering if anyone had any two cents to help with my decision.

I am looking for a thicker constrictor (no colubrids), but preferably nothing more than 4-6 ft. Based on a lot of research I have it down to a 1)sumatran short-tailed python (looks like captive bred ones have nice temperaments and while they are super muscular the length is reasonable), a 2)Hogg island boa (seems like they are very curious and easily handlable for the most part, 3)Peruvian Long Tailed boa (again, great length and many examples of very tame ones), and a 4)Dumeril's boa (size seems just right, known to be very docile, however I do worry that they have a reputation for going on hunger strikes).

Any experienced owners have any opinions that can help me? The way I see it I can't really go wrong but of course I seek your experience.

Thanks!

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R13 (CB5-312T) using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    My vote is Dumerils or STP. Currently I have a STP and a BCI.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I think Hogg Island boas can exceed 4-6' (though males might stay smaller), & personally I'd go with a Peruvian long-tail or Dumeril's...but this is a really personal
    choice, sometimes you just "go with your gut" when you see what's available too. Just research the care on each to make sure nothing will turn you off, as all
    are a little different. I like plain ol' male BCI's too, but that's not on your list.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    I have a female Dumerils. She's well over six feet, and since she's heavy-bodied she feels a lot bigger than my boa imperators that are the same length. So, if you want a shorter one, get a male.

Tarahumara boas are the smallest boa imperator locality. Males top out around 3.5', females at 4.5'.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Need help with next snake decision

Quote Originally Posted by ArmedPT View Post
    Greetings from Chicago! My name is Chris, this is my first post.

Well, I am excited for the NARBC that is coming near me to Tinlay Park in October. I will be looking for my next addition, and I was wondering if anyone had any two cents to help with my decision.

I am looking for a thicker constrictor (no colubrids), but preferably nothing more than 4-6 ft. Based on a lot of research I have it down to a 1)sumatran short-tailed python (looks like captive bred ones have nice temperaments and while they are super muscular the length is reasonable), a 2)Hogg island boa (seems like they are very curious and easily handlable for the most part, 3)Peruvian Long Tailed boa (again, great length and many examples of very tame ones), and a 4)Dumeril's boa (size seems just right, known to be very docile, however I do worry that they have a reputation for going on hunger strikes).

Any experienced owners have any opinions that can help me? The way I see it I can't really go wrong but of course I seek your experience.

Thanks!

Dums are known to be picky eaters. It is a common question in the Dum Facebook group. Mine is somewhat like that (He will not touch rats and loves mice that are not too big like jumbos) but not as bad as my ball python who will refuse if I had to pick him up the day before feeding day. But even without a meal or two, the physical difference between the two is obvious: my Dum as a baby who went without a meal for 2-3 weeks lost almost no weight vs my bp as a baby who went without food for the same amount of time lost little weight but his condition is starting to show.

In comparison to bloods and other boas, I have yet to encounter a Dum that is as thick bodied as they are. Their size is big but nothing as impressive as the width and heaviness of an adult blood. And Dums take years to mature. If you want to invest that time and money on something that is impressively big, Dums will disappoint you.

Thanks

Ok, looks like another confirmation with the Dum's being picky eaters. Again not a complete turn off but just something to consider.

I looked into just regular BCIs but I have seen so many examples of males getting over 7 ft long, and those aren't even true red-tails. The colombian BCIs do have an excellent reputation for temperament.

I have also heard STPs make a TON of urine and their bedding needs to be changed out more frequently than other species, but again I am not sure how true this is.

Thanks so far guys, this is helping!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    It's probably true that many Dums are picky eaters...I just like how they look, mostly...& haven't researched that much about them as I'm not planning to add
    any snakes. I'm glad you're doing your homework on possible additions...better to know now than have regrets in getting the wrong one for your expectations.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (09-03-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Many pictures you see online of BI's/BCI's are overfed Boas. People wanting to show how big their snakes can get.

A properly fed male BI could be 7FT, but likely, much less, and almost definitely thinner bodied. Read up on some of the feeding schedules/regimes for BI's. Slow growth is the way to go. A male BI that reaches 7FT, who is fed properly, would take a long time to get there. "Adult size" should be reached in 4-6 years (depending on individual, male vs. female, and feeding schedule). However, they grow their whole lives. So, I properly fed male BI probably wouldn't get to 7FT, if at all, for 6-9 years.

There are a few really good dwarf boa breeders out there. If you want to ensure a smaller size. However, when I spoke to Vin Russo about buying a dwarf boa from him, he said many were very temperamental and do not share the gentle nature of most BI's. There are exceptions to the rule, but in general, BI's are puppy dog tame (aggressive feeders yes, and should be hook trained, but when handled, a dream). Many dwarf species, not so much.

I ultimately worked with Tommy Carpenter (TC Reptiles) to get a "dwarf" Venezuelan BCC/True Red Tail from the Rio Bravo line. I believe only two breeders are working with these currently. The females max out about 6FT and the males 4-5FT. They are known for their docile nature. They are also not as prone to humidity issues and feeding issues (true red tails can get regurgitation syndrome while most BI's and this line of BCC tend not to). Not saying you need to get one of these guys, but I had a good experience with both Vin Russo and Tommy Carpenter. Both were honest about what they had and what would fit me best.

I would talk with Tommy or Vin if you want a locale/dwarf species. I believe Tommy is working with BCL as well, but I am not positive. No idea with Vin right now.

PM if you want an intro to Tommy, or just reach out through his webpage or FB. Vin responds well to the email on his page.

Getting back to what you should get. If you can handle a crazy food response, but reliable eaters (garbage disposals practically) get a BI (male) or locale or dwarf boa. In my experience, the BI's and the BCC tend to have the best personalities, and I haven't been as impressed with the few dwarf species I've handled (aside from Feliz and what I've heard of his line). However, I have limited experience and working with a good breeder who knows their animals is important. Dumerils are supposed to be very calm and I've handled adults before and they seem pretty chill. I cannot comment on feeding issues since I do not have direct experience.

STP's I have little experience with, but believe they are not as easy to handle. They like to be supported and get heavy. A Boa you can drape over your shoulders, or wrap up in your arms, etc. They like to climb and do a good job of supporting themselves.

My vote would be Boa (BI or dwarf/locale species). A male BI could live happily in a 4X2' or a 5X2' at the most for life. A dwarf/locale species, a 4X2' easy, or even a 3X2' possibly. With boas I add length and depth/width and want it to be the same size or bigger than the length of the snake.

The one thing I will ask is why your aversion to a 7FT boa versus a 5-6FT boa? Is it tank size? Intimidation?

As mentioned, Boas take a long time to reach size, and you will have time to get to know each other if you end up with a male BI, for example. I ended up with a female BI as my first Boa, not necessarily wanting a large animal, but Behira was at a local breeder, was a year old and established, and had one of, if not the best, personalities and temperament of any boa he had. That mattered more to me than getting a smaller animal. I also have room for her 6X2' Boaphile.

Regardless of what you choose, good luck, keep doing research, and keep us in the loop.

P.S. Be extra careful with the temp and humidity requirements with whatever you choose. BI's and many locale boas like reasonable humidity most of the time and for a good shed. Also, they tend to prefer slightly lower temps than BP's on the hot side. Dumerils, I believe, even more so.

Also, my boas tend to use the bathroom every 2-3 weeks, depending on feeding schedule, often with a urine and urate in there somewhere in between. Feliz eats every two weeks now and goes once every two weeks with a urine in between usually. Behira eats every 3 weeks and goes every 3 weeks. So, I usually have to clean her tank and change paper (I use printless newspaper as substrate) every week or two. Keep in mind, she is 3 years old, 5FT and 1,600G and eats a medium rat (105-115G on average) every 3 weeks. So it's not like I am stuffing her. I believe she is happy and healthy and she is growing well on this diet and duration of feeding currently.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

WrongPython (09-06-2019)

Thanks

How about something a bit more unusual, like a woma python.
    Females get to around 6/7 feet, males around 5/6 feet.
    No feeding issues, apart from making sure you don't over feed them.
    Or super dwarf retics?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ian14 View Post
    How about something a bit more unusual, like a woma python.
    Females get to around 6/7 feet, males around 5/6 feet.
    No feeding issues, apart from making sure you don't over feed them.
    Or super dwarf retics?
    Woma Pythons are a great suggestion !!

So beautiful, so active and inquisitive.. almost like having a SD Retic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast