Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,847

1 members and 1,846 guests
Gio,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: New baby Chinese Water Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Valyndris View Post
    I don't know anything about water dragons so I can't be of any help on that department but just wanted to say you have a beautiful lizard and it looks like your are doing your research to have a happy and healthy lizard.
    Yep .. that’s my take on things , exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Valyndris (09-04-2019)

Thanks

How it woke up this morning! Haha!!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaime_ls3 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-05-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Really good job. You are very committed in spite of it being an impulse purchase. Most people would quickly learn how much time and money it cost to care for these lizards and give up.

These lizards are known to spend most of their time on high places so that is not unusual. They are semi arboreal and he probably does come down when you are not watching.

One important thing to keep in mind is that these lizards are known to run into the glass. I see that your tank don't have that issue but just fyi for when you upgrade. Speaking of which, this little lizard will grow to be pretty long so a tall, long enclosure that holds humidity is a must, something that is not easily available in pet stores. You may need to purchase a custom made tank or make your own. It must be tall enough for climbing, and wide enough to move around on the ground as well as enough space to accommodate a large water bowl and for drying.

I am not a fan of red lights for night use as most lizards can 'see' it. I think it stresses out the animal at night.

UVB lighting is super important. Anything on top of a mesh lid requires something strong, like a T5 Reptisun 10.0 HO. The mesh lid filters out about 60-70% of the rays he needs. And for the same reason, the branch or highest climbing area where he can bask should be no higher than 10-12 inches from the light to avoid burns.

Watch out for the fish feeders. If you are getting the goldfish, they are known to carry worms and other parasites. My husband kept 3 of those for the longest time, and then one day, they started to die and we found their guts were filled with worms (Some were even poking out of the anus). If you must feed fish, I hear guppies are safer.

I like to be honest with people and here is my fair warning to you: Chinese water dragons are expensive lizards. The size of the enclosure, the husbandry and being an import makes them a challenge to keep. However, you can do it as it sounds like you are up for that challenge.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-05-2019)

Thanks

Thanks for all the tips. I'm going to change from red night light to something better. I know which kind i need now.

I will also need to upgrade its basking light.

I put paper towels on top of the mesh to hold humidity and it seems to work.

Below is the tropical uvb light bar that I have.

I know I need a tall verticle enclosure but to be honest I could not find one. The closets i found was mesh ones which i know wouldnt hold humidity.

In about 8-11 months from now (if the dragon is still healthy and alive) I know I will have to make my own custom enclosure. Its gonna be like a refrigerator size enclosure in my room

Thanks

Its basking light and hammock are about 8 inches apart, but the light isnt too strong... I will need to upgrade then I'll make proper adjustments according to the heat index

Thanks

Ever since I put paper towels on the edges of its enclosure as you can see in one of my previous posts, the dragon no longer runs his nose. If i see it do it even once. I will put painters tape on the front.

This is how I keep the top for now, no paper is inthe way of its lights, it seems to work for now. I do have a noooooooo amount of moss but in holding till I have my substrate. I may buy another cork round bark as well later, it seems to be its favorite.

Last edited by Jaime_ls3; 09-04-2019 at 06:01 PM.

Thanks

It's been about 30 minutes since I mist sprayed inside, the humidity is still at 85%. Didnt check to see just how high it went but probably 90% and gradually going down.

This is good for now I think while I wait for its substrate.

I'm sure the Jungle Mix Substrate and moss and plants will keep humidity up, at least I hope so.

Does anyone know of a good humidifier? All the ones on amazon kind of put me off

Last edited by Jaime_ls3; 09-04-2019 at 06:28 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jaime_ls3 View Post
    How it woke up this morning! Haha!!

Now that is just so adorable letting those leggies hang.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-05-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    That T8 is not strong enough against that mesh lid. T5 for lighting on top of lid, T8 without any mesh lids or going inside the tank. T5 requires about 10 inches from basking to top. T8 requires 6 inches (If you place it on top and that is why I don't recommend it because you will also have the basking bulb nearby which will be too hot, forcing your lizard to climb down more often to cool off in exchange of not getting enough UVB) or 10-12 inches if placed inside the tank or without lid.

Imo those tropical lights are garbage unless you are working with a species where UVB is not needed (ie blue tongue skinks). They are not as strong as a high output bulb. Pet Supplies Plus has started carrying ZooMed T5 and T8 fixtures. I would exchange that the ZooMed or return this to Petco and pick one up from PPS. PPS will price match with Amazon to save you some money but these fixtures are generally expensive no matter where you get them from. It is worth the long term investment though. One thing you do not want to mess up on are the lights.
    Last edited by Cheesenugget; 09-05-2019 at 07:19 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-05-2019)

Thanks
    i love them but after researching decided way too much work for me. looks like you are doing awesome, though!
    Gargoyle Geckos: Gorey, Gremmie, Ouija, Gojira, Bacon Bit, Penny, Wednesday
    Crested Geckos: Eggs, Triscuit, Creature & Waffles
    Leopard Geckos: Rhubarb, Pepper and Clementine
    Cal Kings: Bones & Violet
    Corn snakes: A sh*tload
    Trans-Pesos: 1.1 No names
    BPs: Charlie (super pastel), Bodhi (pied), Finn (GHI Mojave), Dublin (fire bumblebee), Falkor(mystic potion), Letty (pewter), Jameson
    BCI Boa: Specter (Fineline morph)
    SnuSnu the cat, Corbin the pit bull, Juniper the mini aussie & Lily the setter mix
    One little special needs bearded dragon P. Sherman
    Black African House Snakes: 1.1 No names
    Northern Pines: 1.1 No names
    Four skinks, one of which is named Gator & Basil the mini-lop rabbit

'everything was beautiful and nothing hurt' - vonnegut.

www.facebook.com/SilentHillReptiles

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast