Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,118

4 members and 3,114 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

New baby Chinese Water Dragon

This was originally posted on the reptileforumUK, was told this is a good USA site.

Hello all! First post

I'm from the United states in sunny warm california. Couldnt find any active good reptile forum so this will do.

I just got my new little baby water dragon. I have had it for about a week now. It doesnt have a name yet. I believe it is maybe a month old or so.

Its active and eats every day so far.

The bad news is that I got it at petco, sort of got it impulsively. I've always wanted one. Well I did research. Turns out my dragon is most likely wild cought and/or imported. Means they wont live as long and could most likely have different types of parasites. Well, I will give my dragon a decal exam and if it passes for parasites or eye problems, petco will pay for all veterinarian Bill's for the first month. They just wont pay the fecal exam. That's fine...

The good, I spent a considerable amount of money for this baby, I bought it a 40 gallon tank and made it into what I think is a sub aquarium enclosure.

My enclosure has branches big and small across the enclosure. I baked the branches for 2 hours at 250°F in the oven. I cut them off of a tree we took out yesterday in the front yard. The enclosure has a straw hammock where it basks at about 88°F or more. Humidity is acergly at about 75%. When I spray it goes up to about 90 for only a few minutes so i think i may have to invest ina. Good real fogger for humidity. It has a UVB tropical light bar. In the night I have a red light that keeps the enclosure warm and leave near the dragon depending where it sleeps so it can be warm.
    The enclosure has a waterfall filter on one side and another normal filter on the other opposite side. It also has an water circulation air pump in the middle.
    The enclosure has 20lbs aquarium rocks from petco. I cleaned them in a bucket. So far the aquarium is 4 days old and I have recycle the water 3 times already. The water is about 4-5 inches tall. Maybe the length of my finger.
    My dragon does not rub its nose (since there is water) at all. I also have tiny feeder fish in the tank the size of its head. There is about 6 inside. I use Jungle start right water cleaner for the fishes and to keep the water clean and free of algae.

Sometimes my baby dragon will try to catch the little fish but it always fails. Its funny to watch try fishing. I have fed it 3 fishes so far and have cut them up in 3 small peices and it seems to enjoy them. I have also fed it crickets, small meal worms and once a red wiggle search worm although I dont think it likes those too much.

The dragon likes to climb up high and jump into the water and stay in the water for long periods of times. Then it slowly makes it's way to its hammock and warms up...under my hammock is a floating bark that it likes to go on and cool down I guess. It still is somewhat warm down there.

I think the dragon is happy so far. As you can see on my profile picture. It sleep on a vertical branch almost at the same time of day every day, like it knows its bed time. I turn off all the light and turn off the circulation pump off at night and leave its night time light on to keep it warm inside.

The tank is pretty big for the lizard for now. I know I will have to custom make my own in about a year.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaime_ls3 For This Useful Post:

wnateg (09-03-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts
    Have any pictures of the tank?
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

Thanks

Re: New baby Chinese Water Dragon

A few pictures of the enclosure. I was told o the reptileuk forum that this enclosure wasnt exactly suitable for my lizard. And here I thought it somewhat enjoyed it's new home

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaime_ls3 For This Useful Post:

Bodie (09-03-2019),Bogertophis (09-05-2019)

Thanks

I didnt mention that it has its baking light above its hammock. Not just the tropical uvb light bar

Thanks

These pictures were taken at night while it was sleeping as you can see. Is it normal for the dragon to sleep like this? Every time I turn its lights off it goes on its branch and sleeps that way all night. Then when I wake up in the morning, I find it still hanging on with it's big eyes wide open. I turn on its lights and it goes into daily lizard routine

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jaime_ls3 View Post
    I didnt mention that it has its basking light above its hammock. Not just the tropical uvb light bar

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jaime_ls3 View Post
    This was originally posted on the reptileforumUK, was told this is a good USA site.

Hello all! First post

***I'm from the United states in sunny warm California. Couldnt find any active good reptile forum so this will do.***

I just got my new little baby water dragon. I have had it for about a week now. It doesnt have a name yet. I believe it is maybe a month old or so.

Its active and eats every day so far.

The bad news is that I got it at petco, sort of got it impulsively. I've always wanted one. Well I did research. Turns out my dragon is most likely wild cought and/or imported. Means rhe dragon probably wont live as long and could most likely have different types of parasites. Well, I will give my dragon a fecal exam and if it passes for parasites or eye problems, petco will pay for all veterinarian bills for the first month. They just wont pay the fecal exam. That's fine...

The good, I spent a considerable amount of money for this baby, I bought it a 40 gallon tank and made it into what I think is called a sub-aquarium enclosure?

My enclosure has branches big and small across the enclosure. I baked the branches for 2 hours at 250°F in the oven. I cut them off of a tree we took out yesterday in the front yard. The enclosure has a hammock where it basks at about 88°F or more. Humidity is averagely at about 75%. When I spray it goes up to about 90% for only a few minutes so i think i may have to invest on a good real fogger for humidity. It has a UVB tropical light bar. In the night I have a red light that keeps the enclosure warm and I leave it near the dragon depending where it sleeps so it can be warm but not directly above the lizard.
    The enclosure has a waterfall filter on one side and another normal filter on the other opposite side. It also has an water circulation air pump in the middle and a water heater preset to I think 74°F
    The enclosure has 20lbs aquarium rocks from petco. I cleaned them in a bucket. So far the aquarium is 4 days old and I have recycle the water 3 times already to keep getting whatever particles are left out. It's looking cleaner and longer every cycle. The water is about 4-5 inches tall. Maybe the length of my finger.
    My dragon does not rub its nose (since there is water) at all. I also have tiny feeder fish in the tank the size of its head. There is about 6 inside. I use Jungle start right water cleaner for the fishes to keep the water clean and free of algae.

Sometimes my baby dragon will try to catch the little fishes but it always fails. Its funny to watch it try fishing. I have fed it 3 fishes so far and have cut them up in 3 small peices and it seems to enjoy them. I have also fed it crickets, small meal worms and once a red wiggle earth worm although I dont think it likes those too much.

The dragon likes to climb up high and jump into the water and stay in the water for long periods of times. Then it slowly makes it's way to its hammock and warms up...under my hammock is a floating bark that it likes to go on and cool down I guess? It still is somewhat warm down there.

I think the dragon is happy so far. At least I hope it is... As you can see on my profile picture. It sleeps on a vertical branch almost at the same time of night every night, like it knows its bed time. I turn off all the lights and turn off the circulation pump off at night and leave its night time light on to keep it warm inside.

The tank is pretty big for the lizard for now. I know I will have to custom make my own in about a year or so.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Im changing the Dragons setup after 4 days to something that is more suitable.

I just spent a good couple hours taking everything out. I sent everything related to water aquarium accessories back to petco. I got about $110 back.

I'm going to spent time building a tropical vivarium with live plants instead. 75% of it will be substrate and 25% will be a container of water so it's easy to clean and change out. I will also leave it's own drinking water dish.

So far I bought:
    24qt of Zilla Jungle Mix

Zoo Med Natural Round Cork Bark
    (Maybe I'll buy another one since they're relatively cheap right now)

6 tangled up live Lucky Bamboos

1 Tropical Plant (not sure what it is)

This is what I have so far and I have to wait for the Jungle Mix substrate to come in till september 9th from Amazon.

Also planning on buying a pothos plant or a dracaena plant to have in the corner. The other 2 plants will be cleaned and planted in the substrate.

Wondering if I should buy a humidifier as well? But will spray for now. I'm going to have to cover at least half of the mesh lid up top to keep humidity up because it's not very high.

Obviously I will keep branches and barks up high to keep it arboreal.

The Dragon still sleeps on a branch up top.

Just made an fecal exam appointment at the vet for thursday afternoon. Hopefully I can get a sample and everything turns out ok, if not, petco pays for the treatment and medication bills

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaime_ls3 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-05-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Very impressive !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    I don't know anything about water dragons so I can't be of any help on that department but just wanted to say you have a beautiful lizard and it looks like your are doing your research to have a happy and healthy lizard.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (09-04-2019)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast