Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,624

2 members and 1,622 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Thoughts on my quarantine setup?

Hello everyone! I have a four month old BCI on hold and am still perfecting her setup temperatures and humidity. I thought I'd run my setup by you guys to see what I can improve on before she arrives. The breeder was kind enough to ship whenever I wanted, so time is not of the essence. If I need to order something or completely change things up, I have the time and leisure to do so without worrying about her health. Just want to make sure it's right for her upon arrival!

Here is a drawing of what I have currently so you can see how and where everything is.
    The enclosure has been treated with PAM and I am using a Etekcity Lasergrip Digital Laser Temp Gun to test surface temps.
    The only other reptile I have is a BP. He will be upstairs on the 3rd floor of our house and she will be downstairs on the 1st floor during the quarantine period.
    This will not be her permanent enclosure! That one will be much bigger.
    Thanks!

1.0 Normal ball python (Buddy)
    0.1 Colombian boa (Tina)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    I'd lower the temps. some (hi & low) for a BCI, unless that's what the breeder is telling you? I had a BCI for many years & she preferred a bit lower temps., &
    I understand that's typical for them...they're not the same as BPs. Her behavior should tell you what she wants also.

Your CHE over the "cool side" might be too warm? -unless you're just planning ahead for fall & winter? But for having CHE & UTH on thermostats.

You might want to adjust the wattage of the CHE you're using after you try it for a while: I don't use CHE, but I've heard they tend to burn out faster if overly-
    regulated (by thermostat, on/off constantly)...if true, it's something to be aware of.

I'd wait to add moss to a hide until you're sure there's no mites...they like hiding places like moss & it doesn't take many eggs to have a big happy colony of them.
    Otherwise, looks pretty good...minor tweaks are all I see. Great job being prepared ahead of time! So many don't do that.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

kath_ (09-02-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    I keep my QT enclosures simple: an appropriately-sized plastic tub with a lid that latches securely, two hides, one water dish, paper substrate so I can see mites, and a UTH on a thermostat to provide heat. That way if a problem pops up cleaning and disinfecting everything is fairly simple.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (09-03-2019),kath_ (09-02-2019)

Thanks
    I was thinking that your set-up looks a little "busy" for quarantine too, but since your decor (driftwood & vines) is fake (plastic) it's easier to clean IF there's any
    mite issue. Really a matter of luck & personal choice.

Thanks

Re: Thoughts on my quarantine setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'd lower the temps. some (hi & low) for a BCI, unless that's what the breeder is telling you? I had a BCI for many years & she preferred a bit lower temps., &
    I understand that's typical for them...they're not the same as BPs. Her behavior should tell you what she wants also.

Your CHE over the "cool side" might be too warm? -unless you're just planning ahead for fall & winter? But for having CHE & UTH on thermostats.

You might want to adjust the wattage of the CHE you're using after you try it for a while: I don't use CHE, but I've heard they tend to burn out faster if overly-
    regulated (by thermostat, on/off constantly)...if true, it's something to be aware of.

I'd wait to add moss to a hide until you're sure there's no mites...they like hiding places like moss & it doesn't take many eggs to have a big happy colony of them.
    Otherwise, looks pretty good...minor tweaks are all I see. Great job being prepared ahead of time! So many don't do that.
    Hey thanks! I'm super excited for her! This is my first boa so I want to make sure I'm doing things ok.
    I will lower my temps a notch and hold off on the moss for now. The ambient humidity is actually holding pretty well at 60% due to the large water bowl and CHE so I think that should be ok. Thanks for letting me know about the CHE burning out. I actually haven't heard of that so I'll order a spare just in case this one goes kaput during the quarantine period.
    0.1 Colombian boa (Tina)

Thanks

Re: Thoughts on my quarantine setup?

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I keep my QT enclosures simple: an appropriately-sized plastic tub with a lid that latches securely, two hides, one water dish, paper substrate so I can see mites, and a UTH on a thermostat to provide heat. That way if a problem pops up cleaning and disinfecting everything is fairly simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I was thinking that your set-up looks a little "busy" for quarantine too, but since your decor (driftwood & vines) is fake (plastic) it's easier to clean IF there's any
    mite issue. Really a matter of luck & personal choice.
    Yeah looking it again I realize that it is quite busy. Oops. I did consider not putting the decor in for the QT but I guess I just wanted things for her to climb on since I heard babies are semi-arboreal.
    I don't mind cleaning and treating the glass enclosure and decor if mites show up. Like Boger said, it's probably a matter of personal choice and luck. But if the decor is unnecessary or won't be suitable for her, I'll definitely take it out.
    0.1 Colombian boa (Tina)

Thanks
    I think she'll enjoy the decor, it's just a matter of mites not having places to hide if you're unlucky enough to have some arrive with the snake. Hopefully not!

If it's not too hard to install, you might take it out for now & just wait about a week+ to see if you see any issues on the substrate, then re-install it? It's really
    up to you...and she may be too shy to use it at first anyway. New homes are scary, & being shipped is scary too, so new snakes need some quiet time to hide
    when they first arrive anyway.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (09-02-2019),kath_ (09-02-2019)

Thanks
    That's a good idea, Boger. Thanks so much! I'll go with the simple approach for her first week to monitor health on the substrate and then if no issues she can climb about if she wants.

When you're a noodle with a face, the world is a scary place!
    0.1 Colombian boa (Tina)

Thanks
    Also, thanks so much for responding! Like I said, this is my first boa so I'm a little nervous but I appreciate everyone on this forum taking the time to answer my questions and help me out.
    0.1 Colombian boa (Tina)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kath_ For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-02-2019)

Thanks
    Boas are awesome...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

kath_ (09-03-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast